South Chilcotin Mountain Park...comments required

Jan. 27, 2012, 12:16 p.m.

FMCBC has posted an update on their website, stating their intentions were not to offend mountain bikers and they are working on rewording their response.

http://wiki.mountainclubs.org/trails_projects/south-chilcotin-mountains-provincial-park-planning

Jan. 27, 2012, 12:58 p.m.

Offended mountain bikers? They offended reality, common sense and truth. The article was almost entirely manufactured statements based on prejudice and ignorance. You would think that Vanderman wrote the piece. Edited by Monica. Footprints form boots are A OK. Hoof prints are slightly less OK but a tire track is just plain sinful. Mountain bikers going off trail and in that issue are photos of hikers off trail? And that is OK? If they took the time to actually research the history of the area, they would have noted that mining logging and ranching were prominent. The trials ridden and hiked are predominantly roads from logging and mining exploration or trails built by horse travel.

I have had a few run ins with FMCBC donkeys skiing in the back country in the past. Dangerous folk who ski badly and go out in shit conditions. The kind of folks that need rescues. But I am sure they are not all like that. Similarly I have seen donkeyism in mountain bikers. We're not all full face half a brain types and I would suggest that those that are willing and able to climb and descend up there are not the balls out DH crew that frequents bike parks.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Jan. 27, 2012, 2:25 p.m.

Its the age old "I've been here for decades I don't wanna share with no one" response - the environmental rationale is just a facade for NIMBYism and hypocrisy. When that fails, they'll shift their rationale to something else just like Monica.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 27, 2012, 9:11 p.m.

pretty general comments not backed up by much evidence or research. and to be honest, in all my years of riding up there, I'm not sure I've ever seen any hikers…that doesn't mean they don't exist, just that they're pretty few and far between, in my experience…

I didn't think the comments were that bad towards bikes. I'm sure there are some douchebags on bikes doing stupid shit. They just fail to mention the small % of hikers and equestrians who do similarly stupid shit.

Pretty tame compared to the crap that Vandeman or Monica spew constantly, or some of the BS we deal with in California:

http://www.pcta.org/about_trail/mountain-bikes.asp
PCT = Pacific Crest Trail, Mexico to Canada, bikes originally ok but banned due to intense Sierra Club lobbying in early 80's

The damage caused by a mountain biker is much greater than that caused by a hiker or horse because, with a bike, the soil is impacted continuously along the trail, while a hiker's or horse’s feet hit the soil only at intervals.

Um, yeah ok whatever….:rolleyes:

Jan. 27, 2012, 11:18 p.m.

Lorna he's done four in one day so 20 people. That is only on the nice weekends.

fyi, I was told this year the park use permit only allows max 2 landings per day on Lorna.

The area is getting busier fer sure - it seems like a zoo compared to just 10 years ago. But it is still no problem going for a spin and feeling like only a few have gone before you.

Jan. 28, 2012, 7:28 a.m.

Curious, what is the maintenance plan up there for trails?
I did see some nasty blown out corners this fall.

you mean beyond dale and friends cutting out deadfall? Probably not much. I know when our group goes up we usually have a few handsaws among the groups and have cut out and moved quite a few things, and we've kicked out some drainage to clear puddles, but I don't know that that's really maintenance. It would take some serious work to fix the damage horses have done to gun meadows/gun creek, and even then, not convinced it would last long, those beasts do a number on the trails, especially when its wet.

Jan. 29, 2012, 3:20 p.m.

Curious, what is the maintenance plan up there for trails?
I did see some nasty blown out corners this fall.

Warren from Spruce Lake Wilderness Adventures has done work on the trails he has tenure for. The man is a very skilled carpenter with a chain saw. (He has since sold the business, but I'd guess the new owners will be continuing to do work.)

I'm sure the other guide companies do work on their tenured trails.

Jan. 29, 2012, 3:25 p.m.

FMCBC has posted an update on their website, stating their intentions were not to offend mountain bikers and they are working on rewording their response.

http://wiki.mountainclubs.org/trails_projects/south-chilcotin-mountains-provincial-park-planning

Note that the article has been re-worded. Thanks to the FMCBC for a measured temperate response. It's appreciated.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Jan. 29, 2012, 3:40 p.m.

that is a much better response, positive outcome for sure.

Jan. 30, 2012, 1:35 a.m.

BC Parks is planning the future of South Chilcotin Provincial Park as well as Big Creek Park and the surrounding areas. The deadline for public input is this Tuesday, January 31st. Please go HERE and fill out the online survey – it's quick and easy.

Some of our contributors published articles from the Chilcotin in 2011; click here to check out their definitions of epic...

flickr

Jan. 30, 2012, 5:48 a.m.

I did Big Creek park as well, There is a mining tenure there that could have a long term impact, if you care about that kind of stuff.

Jan. 30, 2012, 12:58 p.m.

The original link where we are asked for input is not working for me.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 30, 2012, 1 p.m.

For some reason, the link is not working for me. All I get is a completely blank page, and I cannot find it on the government of BC's website either. At least not in a hurry.

- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 30, 2012, 1:14 p.m.

Try again Mic:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/planning/mgmtplns/lillooet/lillooet_mp.html

The deadline is tomorrow so there is a bit of a hurry.

flickr

Jan. 30, 2012, 1:20 p.m.

I get a website, well - sort of, but still no survey… :(

A couple of minutes later - not even a website. Damn.

And as soon as I try to go via _BC Parks _ on the left-hand side - blank again, could well be that the site is overrun?

- Kristen Ulmer