South Chilcotin Mountain Park...comments required

Jan. 30, 2012, 1:31 p.m.

That is just odd. Anyone else having problems?

flickr

Jan. 30, 2012, 1:40 p.m.

I get a website, well - sort of, but still no survey… :(

A couple of minutes later - not even a website. Damn.

And as soon as I try to go via _BC Parks _ on the left-hand side - blank again, could well be that the site is overrun?

can you try a different browser? working fine for me in firefox

Jan. 30, 2012, 2:46 p.m.

Make sure you do a form for Big Creek as well. Lorna/Graveyard and some other areas fall into this park as well. And the Fed of Mountain Clubs def seem to want bikers not doing drops at Lorna. Just duplicate your answers on the form.

Jan. 30, 2012, 3:30 p.m.

which area covers Shulaps Traverse and Birkholder Lake?

Jan. 30, 2012, 3:41 p.m.

which area covers Shulaps Traverse and Birkholder Lake?

shulaps isn't in a park, proposed or otherwise

Jan. 30, 2012, 4:32 p.m.

Skip down to page 13 for mountain biking, some interesting strategies including building a new mtn bike primary trail from Spruce lake to Tyax lodge (heading East from Spruce lake to Mud Creek FSR). Hopefully this wouldn't result in bikes being restricted from Gun Creek trail as it would be a very different experience.

http://www.wildernessstewardshipandtrainingfoundation.com/bigcreek_spruce_mp.pdf

Jan. 30, 2012, 4:41 p.m.

so these other groups keep talking about 'user conflict'…has anyone ever experienced any? I've always had pleasant experiences, save a couple of surly horse dudes, and don't get these references to conflict that hiking groups keep making. Is this just perceived conflict? …in above link, be sure to check the horse section as their suggesting horse only on B[HTML_REMOVED]F and Lick creek trails….

Jan. 30, 2012, 4:55 p.m.

That PDF is from Chilcotin Holidays. http://www.chilcotinholidays.com/

Those guys dislike mountain bikers yet promote guided trips on their website. I don't know biker in their right mind who's actually taken one of their trips and not regretted it. Take what's said there with a grain of salt

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Jan. 30, 2012, 5:16 p.m.

Map of the 9 areas they are asking for feedback on (big map is huge!):

Here is a PDF map that shows towns [HTML_REMOVED] roads to orient the huge map above:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/planning/mgmtplns/lillooet/lillooet_park_regional_map.pdf

Jan. 30, 2012, 5:23 p.m.

I talk to the chilcotin holiday guides all the time. they do have some problems with bikes coming out of gun creek. mostly its people wanting to ride through a groups of pack horses heading the same direction.

Dale has some ideas on how to fix this via twinning the trail in key spots. mostly it comes down to sharing the trail. if you come on a pack train heading the same direction as you, you have to give them a chance to find a spot to get off the trail. there are only a few spots they can do that. communicate with the lead rider and be patient.

but yeah, chilcotin holidays management has it out for bikes.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Jan. 30, 2012, 5:28 p.m.

I've never met any users that expressed issues with conflict.

But I think there is an inherent conflict between the outfitters - air lifting cyclists for the gun cr descent isn't very compatible with horse outfitters whose guests are paying for a certain kind of wilderness experience.

Jan. 30, 2012, 5:39 p.m.

Responded to the survey for South Chilcotin, Big Creek [HTML_REMOVED] Yalakom.

Jan. 30, 2012, 5:50 p.m.

I've filled out chilcotin's nice web form but am annoyed by the pdf for Yalakom and Big. Oh well, print and scan I guess

Jan. 30, 2012, 6:09 p.m.

I've filled out chilcotin's nice web form but am annoyed by the pdf for Yalakom and Big. Oh well, print and scan I guess

The web form works for those too. Click the link in the very first post in this thread.

Jan. 30, 2012, 6:09 p.m.

Big Creek Park is the light green area just to the north of South Chilcotins Park, on the map Craig posted. Most of the area over the height of land towards Lorna Lake, Graveyard Creek, etc., is in Big Creek Park. I filled out separate comment forms for South Chilcotins and Big Creek, and was careful to use the term "cross country mountain biking" and "cross country cycling" rather then just mountain biking.