Squamish Trail Conditions (2012)

April 12, 2012, 9:34 p.m.

Ok, good to know.

April 13, 2012, 1:43 p.m.

There are multiple trail closures in place in Squamish right now in key riding areas, as timber harvesting and development occurs. I have pasted below the information provided by the companies and from SORCA.

PLEASE NOTE- The riding groups in Squamish have excellent relationships with the companies that own rights to these lands, and have done an unbelievably good job of ensuring that most of the affected trails will be retained after the development and harvesting. This is a TONNE of work by awesome people like Mike Nelson among others. PLEASE RESPECT the trail closures and plan your riding routes around them if visiting the trails. We are so luck y to ave access to these riding areas, and good corporate neighbours like these companies. On top of maintaining our good relationships, these areas can be critically dangerous to trespassers due to unstable trees, and the last thing anyone wants is for a rider (or hiker or other) to be injured or killed by falling timber. I have lost several colleagues to falling timber, the danger is real.

Diamond Head Land Company has announced that there will be active falling on DL515 on Plateau Drive over the next two weeks (April 12 to 26). This will affect Seven Stitches, Summer’s Eve and the access to the FM Tower area off that trail (see map). The proponent will endeavour to keep the trails open when possible during this period, however, due to safety concerns, the trails will be closed when there is active falling. For your safety, please obey all trail closed signs and flag people.

**This is from the good folks at Merrill and Ring Inc.

"We plan to start the timber falling in the area of the junctions today Friday the 13th of Mashiter/Don’t Tell Jude/Tracks from Hell trails and the powerline we will not be operating over the weekend and will resume operations on Monday April 16th. The trails will have to be closed during working hours and may not be opened evenings during the week. The trails should be open and available for use during the weekends. The work in this area will likely be 2-3 weeks, during which the closures will continue on work days and potentially work-day evenings, but be open during weekends."**

April 14, 2012, 2:27 a.m.

April 14, 2012, 9:45 a.m.

Anyone know the status on half Nelson and angry midget? Bikeco shows them closed said April 3rd

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

April 14, 2012, 11:36 a.m.

Midget closed until early may. I'm in Mexico til end of April and need to find time to get it open again which will take the better part of a day.

April 14, 2012, 1:02 p.m.

Deep snow up there last weekend. Ring Creek Rip.

April 14, 2012, 5 p.m.

Anyone know the status on half Nelson and angry midget? Bikeco shows them closed said April 3rd

Half Nelson's good to go.
As of Friday a lot of snow still at the top of 19th hole etc.

April 14, 2012, 6:59 p.m.

Rode the powerline trails (Cliffs and Rods Corners) today. Don't Tell Jude was closed, but apart from logging tracks over the rest, it was ok. Is Jude going to be lost?

**This is from the good folks at Merrill and Ring Inc.

"We plan to start the timber falling in the area of the junctions today Friday the 13th of Mashiter/Don’t Tell Jude/Tracks from Hell trails and the powerline we will not be operating over the weekend and will resume operations on Monday April 16th. The trails will have to be closed during working hours and may not be opened evenings during the week. The trails should be open and available for use during the weekends. The work in this area will likely be 2-3 weeks, during which the closures will continue on work days and potentially work-day evenings, but be open during weekends."**

April 14, 2012, 8:14 p.m.

Half Nelson, Angry Midget and Pseudo Tsuga were all prime today

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

April 14, 2012, 9:06 p.m.

You rode angry midget? Was it wide open or did you have to walk through the closed sign and a lot of trees across the trail?

April 14, 2012, 9:25 p.m.

http://www.sorca.ca/trails/trail-closures/

clark, for the record… I remember seeing AM being closed on this page earlier this winter, and it's not listed now.

(I was wondering myself if it's open for tomorrow)

April 14, 2012, 9:27 p.m.

You rode angry midget? Was it wide open or did you have to walk through the closed sign and a lot of trees across the trail?

Rode it like I stole it.

No signs at HN hut, no sign at top of trail, no sign at bottom.

Am really eager to see the new climbing trail they are working on come to fruition.

www.letsridebikes.ca

April 15, 2012, 6:07 p.m.

sorry to hear that clarklewis. Looks like someone took it on themselves to reopen the trail for you whether you like it or not. Appears North Van isn't the only place in the world with the kind of people who disrespect wishes of the people who maintain the trail.

April 15, 2012, 8:43 p.m.

Whatever, guess that saves me a day of trail work. Might be time to just let it go anyway.
It will be beat to hell a year from now unfortunately.

April 22, 2012, 5:45 p.m.

Is Jude going to be lost?

Tough to say. It was fine today other than a couple fresh logging roads cutting across it but if they're talking about Tracks too then obviously there still lots more falling/felling to be done. It might still exist but it'll look quite different.

Which is it, 'falling' or 'felling'?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40