Cypress 2013 Conditions

June 20, 2013, 10:25 p.m.

that stuff kind of looked intentionally cut to block the trails, conspiracy on my part?

yes, conspiracy.

we had an unusual pattern of heavy wet snow fall and then probably some wind, and it brought down more trees in one winter than probably came down in the past 5 (or something like that). pretty common all over in this area from approx 600 to 900 metres above sea level.

June 21, 2013, 2:36 p.m.

that stuff kind of looked intentionally cut to block the trails, conspiracy on my part?

like grumpy said, its a heavy year for deadfall

however, when trails get re-opened against the wishes of the builder, chainsawing them closed and leaving them like that is not unheard of

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 23, 2013, 4:18 p.m.

Depends on which trail.

Are you talking about the trail with all the blue flagging tape that parallels Cypress Bowl Rd above the 4th SB?

June 29, 2013, 7:12 p.m.

Cypress was minty fresh today. Much thanks to those trail fairy's with active chainsaws for all the blowdown on trails. Lots of work done on one trail in particular, excellent.

Shed head!

June 29, 2013, 9:55 p.m.

Cypress was minty fresh today. Much thanks to those trail fairy's with active chainsaws for all the blowdown on trails. Lots of work done on one trail in particular, excellent.

Beer says thanks! Will figure out a place for grateful people with sixpacks to donate to drop it off

Lee Lau

June 30, 2013, 5:10 p.m.

Yep, please let me know. You can also PM me and arrange for some chainsaw supplies. Happy to provide some bar and 2-stroke oil along with beer.

June 30, 2013, 11:36 p.m.

My buddy runs a tool rental company, Stihl chains sound good? I can leave them at the top of the first rock face next time I ride there:grinno: PM with coordinates.

Shed head!

July 5, 2013, 8:06 a.m.

kperras and King of Fasia: appreciate the support but logistically it's a difficult as so many people all worked on clearing that trail for everyone to ride. I can get in touch with some of them, but not all of them.

July 17, 2013, 3:48 p.m.

Depends on which trail.

Are you talking about the trail with all the blue flagging tape that parallels Cypress Bowl Rd above the 4th SB?

Advice needed. This trail is still active and being used. It runs through the NE side of the Old Growth Conservancy. Signage to keep mtn bikers from using it hasn't worked. Someone went in to the OGC with a chainsaw and cleared last winter's fallen trees. More info about the OGC and why its special in the Flashback Pre-Reaper Saved article.

The OGC has no surface access except for Pre-Reaper. We had great support from conservationists for improving PreReap from the muddy disaster it was. This rogue trail is no way to show our thanks for that support.

Frankly, this trail is hurting the reputation of mtn bikers on Cypress. Any advice or support to keep mtn bikers off this trail would be appreciated.

July 17, 2013, 9:07 p.m.

Advice needed. This trail is still active and being used. It runs through the NE side of the Old Growth Conservancy. Signage to keep mtn bikers from using it hasn't worked. Someone went in to the OGC with a chainsaw and cleared last winter's fallen trees. More info about the OGC and why its special in the Flashback Pre-Reaper Saved article.

The OGC has no surface access except for Pre-Reaper. We had great support from conservationists for improving PreReap from the muddy disaster it was. This rogue trail is no way to show our thanks for that support.

Frankly, this trail is hurting the reputation of mtn bikers on Cypress. Any advice or support to keep mtn bikers off this trail would be appreciated.

In my experience the only way to close a trail is to drag logs over the entirety and rake sticks and duff over the line. I haven't ridden the line in question but if it's damaging relations between mtb and other users/landowners then I'd be up for helping close it.

July 19, 2013, 7:51 a.m.

This is really unfortunate.

It seems that those building the trail and riding it must not realize how much of a fight it was for Alan and others to get the trail though the Old Growth Conservancy (OGC) legalized.

This kind of action will make it very difficult to work with the other stakeholders on Cypress in terms of building new trails and even just keeping the existing trails. Why would West Van District, British Properties or the hiking and conservancy groups want to work with riders when it looks like we have no respect for any of them?

If any one on here knows the people who built this trail or who are riding it, perhaps you can direct them to this thread?

Ultimately that trail will be shut down one way or another, the question is by who, and how much a black eye it is going to give mountain bikers. We can take care of this ourselves with minimal damage to relations, or let it escalate until West Van District has to send a crew in and have massive fallout for our relations.

July 22, 2013, 10:49 p.m.

Have to agree with both AlanB and grumpy. Obviously the awareness needs to be raised that no trails are to be built through the conservancy. If we as a mountain bike community can take care of decommissioning this ourselves, it would be best. Any volunteers?

Mathew

web: nsmba.ca
email: [email protected]

Trails for all, trails forever.

July 23, 2013, 5:36 p.m.

Have to agree with both AlanB and grumpy. Obviously the awareness needs to be raised that no trails are to be built through the conservancy. If we as a mountain bike community can take care of decommissioning this ourselves, it would be best. Any volunteers?

Mathew

MORGDOUCHE SEEMS TO LIKE THROWING THREATS TO TAKE TRAILS OUT, MAYBE HE CAN TAKE HIS MAD FIXIE HIPSTRE SKILLS TO CYPRESSS IN HIS MATCHING LOOKATME I'M SO GNARCOSXR TEAMKIT AND DO SOMETHING USEFUL. IT WOULD BE SCUH A RAD VIDOE FOR THE FRONTPGAGE AS HE POSES SILHOUETTED IN THE SUN.

July 23, 2013, 6 p.m.

MORGDOUCHE SEEMS TO LIKE THROWING THREATS TO TAKE TRAILS OUT, MAYBE HE CAN TAKE HIS MAD FIXIE HIPSTRE SKILLS TO CYPRESSS IN HIS MATCHING LOOKATME I'M SO GNARCOSXR TEAMKIT AND DO SOMETHING USEFUL. IT WOULD BE SCUH A RAD VIDOE FOR THE FRONTPGAGE AS HE POSES SILHOUETTED IN THE SUN.

Do you feel better about yourself when you lash out?

July 23, 2013, 6:45 p.m.

Do you feel better about yourself when you lash out?

He'll feel better if he tries this fix for a stuck caps lock.