To whoever is building lips on Bobsled!

Aug. 21, 2012, 8:55 p.m.

I keep looking at that skid road at km marker 3 and think it's got jump trail written all over it. It's already cleared, there shouldnt be any new drainage issues and it's a straight shot down. Oh, and it's wide and not doing anything useful right now anyway.
It would take a bit of machinery to get some table tops in though.

You mean Wardens trail? That's an alternative climbing route. Have you checked out Air Supply? It has " Jump trail that was torn down that needs to be rebuilt" written all over it. :D

Aug. 21, 2012, 9:31 p.m.

Wardens trail is too steep for a jump trail it would be over before it started. To build a proper jump trail you need an area that isnt covered with 3 feet of loam either. Air supply would be a good spot for a very short jump trail its got a good grade its wide open and its very accessible to bring in piles of dirt. I agree that Fromme does need a true jump trail but I think the mountain needs to get all its other trails in its network all fixed up and TAP is making that possible. Its easy to just go into a trail and say lets build jumps but thats not what trail building is all about. You cant just come and put icing on the cake, you need to bake the cake first.

Aug. 21, 2012, 10:24 p.m.

Wardens trail is too steep for a jump trail it would be over before it started. To build a proper jump trail you need an area that isnt covered with 3 feet of loam either. Air supply would be a good spot for a very short jump trail its got a good grade its wide open and its very accessible to bring in piles of dirt. I agree that Fromme does need a true jump trail but I think the mountain needs to get all its other trails in its network all fixed up and TAP is making that possible. Its easy to just go into a trail and say lets build jumps but thats not what trail building is all about. You cant just come and put icing on the cake, you need to bake the cake first.

^^^ Props, props, props … props, props. Zingggg!

The rest of yous, listen to the man. He makes good words sense.

Dan

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

Aug. 21, 2012, 10:52 p.m.

The only issue i see with the air supply line , is where it ends…..

two or Three creeks that enviromental groups do not want to see bike traffic in.

bringing traffic back to air supply will create the need to have a trail for riders to exit.

I am all for new trails , or rebuilding some of our old trails in that area…

But overall , air supply makes perfect sense for a jump track … AGAIN!

its why we had jumps to ride there before.

Aug. 22, 2012, 4:49 p.m.

Bobsled, in its current alignment, is the North Shore's first machine built trail. This alignment replaced an eroded and less traveled often fall line trail. It was built in the summer of 2010 by the DNV trail crew, which was funded in part by a federal grant with a match from the District. The intent was a green/blue trail at low elevation with more flow than the other trails that are easily accessible for families and beginners.

Within a couple weeks of the trail opening, a big storm came through and the biggest and longest berm blew out with underwater springs that hadn't surfaced during the dry season build. The berm was closed, a diversion implemented, and plans were made and work began on the monster wood berm. The DNV crew was laid off shortly thereafter and just the frame of the berm was finished. The trail crew was hired back in 2011 and in August the wood berm was finished.

As of summer 2012, NSMBA's TAP program has North Shore Bike Shop adopting Bobsled with Pat Podolski as lead maintainer. Pat's the guy who started this thread; he has been posting trail days on the board here if you are interested in working on the trail.

Thank you for explaining it to me!!

Now what happened to air supply? That trail was awesome.
I was actually going to go check it out this weekend hahaha.
Why did it get torn down?

Just make airsupply longer this time and make everything out of gold!!!
You got my vote.

superheros
I like bikes

Aug. 22, 2012, 6:28 p.m.

i was jumping a double on bobsled for about an hour( the first one..) I would easily put time into fixin up Air supply

all those trails are money!! Oil, exspressso, starfish Bobsled are beaut. I think Taps doin it right and we should keep this goin. I bet air supply would take one long day. Cant see tons of rocks getting moved, little drainage work? Probably a lot of shovelling. Just that easy!!!…

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

Aug. 22, 2012, 9:31 p.m.

Thank you for explaining it to me!!

Now what happened to air supply? That trail was awesome.
I was actually going to go check it out this weekend hahaha.
Why did it get torn down?

Just make airsupply longer this time and make everything out of gold!!!
You got my vote.

hmmm according to the Fromme Mountain Sustainable T r a i l U s e a n d Classification Plan it should have been maintained, so good question.

48. Air Supply
• MTB descent (multiple TTFs).
• Skid-road.
• Moderate level of use.
• MTB trail.
• Rated extreme – good location given proximity to fire road.
• High level of volunteer stewardship (TTF maintenance).
• Good condition (gap jumps well maintained, ladder bridges worn).
• Moderate harmony.
• Partially situated on private property (Grouse Mountain).
RECOMMENDATION: Manage. Requires policy decision on risk management
as this trail represents the upper end of user exposure to extreme TTFs; however
it caters to niche users.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Aug. 22, 2012, 11:26 p.m.

If they understand that it caters to a small percentage of riders, and arent pointing out a lot of concerns, is anyone stopping anyone from grabbing a shovel and buffing the hell outta the thing? If there isn't a lot of objection on that idea we should get a group going and fix it upp ourselves. I got a shovel, I got time.

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

Aug. 22, 2012, 11:53 p.m.

If they understand that it caters to a small percentage of riders, and arent pointing out a lot of concerns, is anyone stopping anyone from grabbing a shovel and buffing the hell outta the thing?

Concerns are there (liability, quality of work, etc), and unauthorized work is likely to be decommissioned – especially on high consequence lines. Basically, building without permission of the land manager (in this case, DNV) means your work could be removed at any time. Building on Air Supply will only piss off the DNV at this point in time.

If there isn't a lot of objection on that idea we should get a group going and fix it upp ourselves. I got a shovel, I got time.

The objection from the riding community is that we have a strong voice right now and a lot of good work is being done through TAP – more than ever before. It has been a long road to get to this point and it would be a shame to damage the good relationship we currently have with the land managers.

If you are interested in building trail on the Shore, the first step is familiarizing yourself with the situation. Consider attending the NSMBA's Builders Academy this fall to learn good trail building practices and immerse yourself in the culture of building.

flickr

Aug. 23, 2012, 6:43 a.m.

If you are interested in building trail on the Shore, the first step is familiarizing yourself with the situation. Consider attending the NSMBA's Builders Academy this fall to learn good trail building practices and immerse yourself in the culture of building.

Dates?

Aug. 23, 2012, 6:49 a.m.

A saw a guy building that lip after the wood berm a few weeks ago. Kinda off to the right, not full trail width. I didn't get a name. I asked him if he'd gotten "clearance" from the builders. He claimed to have been out on many trail days and knowing the builder.

I took his word for it and carried on…

Aug. 23, 2012, 7:44 a.m.

A saw a guy building that lip after the wood berm a few weeks ago. Kinda off to the right, not full trail width. I didn't get a name. I asked him if he'd gotten "clearance" from the builders. He claimed to have been out on many trail days and knowing the builder.

I took his word for it and carried on…

I guess the trail isn't quite wide enough to have the current main rolling line, but with a few proper (but not super lippy DJ type….) jumps just off to the side? I'm not talking senders, but still proper jumps. I don't go down the trail enough to picture how wide it is.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Aug. 23, 2012, 9:16 a.m.

I guess the trail isn't quite wide enough to have the current main rolling line, but with a few proper (but not super lippy DJ type….) jumps just off to the side? I'm not talking senders, but still proper jumps. I don't go down the trail enough to picture how wide it is.

I guess neither of us have anything of value to offer to this thread…haha

Aug. 23, 2012, 11:07 a.m.

If they understand that it caters to a small percentage of riders, and arent pointing out a lot of concerns, is anyone stopping anyone from grabbing a shovel and buffing the hell outta the thing? If there isn't a lot of objection on that idea we should get a group going and fix it upp ourselves. I got a shovel, I got time.

What everybody has failed to mention is, all of the wood take-off ramps have been torn down, so there is only a few of the dirt landings left over. It is not a fix up, it is complete re-build from scratch, which requires permission from the landowners.

See Morgan's post for details on how to get involved to do a re-build if that is what you are after.

Aug. 23, 2012, 11:10 a.m.

Dates?

TBA but I will post here when they are announced.

flickr