To whoever is building lips on Bobsled!

Aug. 20, 2012, 10:06 p.m.

you fix that exit yet?

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Aug. 21, 2012, 9:46 a.m.

On the to do list for fall.

you fix that exit yet?

Aug. 21, 2012, 9:51 a.m.

It seems there is interest in building a jump trail. Is there any plan in the works to build one on the shore?

ask Graham Knell, if he says its ok then giv'r

find his contact info on the DNV website.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Aug. 21, 2012, 10:19 a.m.

It seems there is interest in building a jump trail. Is there any plan in the works to build one on the shore?

ask Graham Knell, if he says its ok then giv'r

find his contact info on the DNV website.

Rebuild Air Supply!

Aug. 21, 2012, 11:06 a.m.

To all those who want a jump trail. People who have been involved and are currently involved have had this conversation with the land managers.

The status quo is the way it is because of the land managers. If individuals want to see something new and or different, they need to contact the land managers and ask or insist.

It will be more likely for change to happen if more people ask many times, then the same people asking many times.

if you know what I mean.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Aug. 21, 2012, 11:22 a.m.

A bureaucratic process governs whether trails get maintained, modified, or built from scratch. Land managers deal with the NSMBA and not the public, so that is the avenue you need to pursue if you want to make something happen. This may sound like an extra step but it is in our favour; Mark Wood works hard at the NSMBA on our behalf, and has established a great ongoing relationship with all of the land managers.

DNV (Fromme) is probably the hardest place to build new trail, and we're lucky to have TAP going strong there this year. If you really want a new trail, you need to get involved with the NSMBA and let your voice be heard. You will need a committed and trusted trail builder, a financial commitment, and a very clear plan. The forums are definitely not the right avenue.

Contact Mark ([email protected]) if you really are interested in helping see your vision become reality on the Shore – and plan on attending a Town Hall meeting in the near future.

flickr

Aug. 21, 2012, 12:37 p.m.

Land managers deal with the NSMBA and not the public

Getting involved with the NSMBA is obviously beneficial, but it can't hurt to contact elected officials to express interest, right? My experience has been that they like feedback.

Aug. 21, 2012, 12:44 p.m.

On the to do list for fall.

awesome. i can respect that.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Aug. 21, 2012, 12:58 p.m.

Getting involved with the NSMBA is obviously beneficial, but it can't hurt to contact elected officials to express interest, right? My experience has been that they like feedback.

Yes, those of us on the NSMBA Board would agree. In general, I think they would like to execute work with the association but they absolutely value community feedback coming direct to them as well as through us.

Aug. 21, 2012, 1:07 p.m.

But Mr. Knell is not an elected official. You'd need to let DNV council know what you think, and they drive policy. It's thier job to discuss these things with the public.

http://www.dnv.org/article.asp?c=75

their emails are there.

Aug. 21, 2012, 1:19 p.m.

Contacting elected officials helps to show support for mountain biking from the community, but as Sven mentioned, Graham Knell is not one of said officials.

flickr

Aug. 21, 2012, 2:33 p.m.

But Mr. Knell is not an elected official. You'd need to let DNV council know what you think, and they drive policy. It's thier job to discuss these things with the public.

http://www.dnv.org/article.asp?c=75

their emails are there.

I agree… isn't that what I said?

Although now that you mention it, I don't think that it's a bad thing to talk to staff. They do have influence - and within existing policy parameters they are hardly powerless. But ultimately the council (and the voters!) have the power.

Aug. 21, 2012, 3:12 p.m.

Id be very interested in a jump trail.
I would help maintain this on a regular basis too.
Kind of like the layout of bobsled but with nice sized table tops and hips. Like Aline but maybe not so extreme. Maybe jump trail meets pump track styles with still some tech stuff. The ability to transfer over sections of rough shit and all around flowy if that makes sense.

So im curious to know how bobsled came to be. Who built it, how was it built and all the other details. Can someone please fill me in with a detailed story :)

superheros
I like bikes

Aug. 21, 2012, 3:34 p.m.

So im curious to know how bobsled came to be. Who built it, how was it built and all the other details. Can someone please fill me in with a detailed story :)

Bobsled, in its current alignment, is the North Shore's first machine built trail. This alignment replaced an eroded and less traveled often fall line trail. It was built in the summer of 2010 by the DNV trail crew, which was funded in part by a federal grant with a match from the District. The intent was a green/blue trail at low elevation with more flow than the other trails that are easily accessible for families and beginners.

Within a couple weeks of the trail opening, a big storm came through and the biggest and longest berm blew out with underwater springs that hadn't surfaced during the dry season build. The berm was closed, a diversion implemented, and plans were made and work began on the monster wood berm. The DNV crew was laid off shortly thereafter and just the frame of the berm was finished. The trail crew was hired back in 2011 and in August the wood berm was finished.

As of summer 2012, NSMBA's TAP program has North Shore Bike Shop adopting Bobsled with Pat Podolski as lead maintainer. Pat's the guy who started this thread; he has been posting trail days on the board here if you are interested in working on the trail.

flickr

Aug. 21, 2012, 8 p.m.

I keep looking at that skid road at km marker 3 and think it's got jump trail written all over it. It's already cleared, there shouldnt be any new drainage issues and it's a straight shot down. Oh, and it's wide and not doing anything useful right now anyway.
It would take a bit of machinery to get some table tops in though.