The Watchmen

March 5, 2015, 12:05 p.m.

aside from most of what's already been discussed, why the need for the huge media roll out on this anyway? Just go about your business quietly and effectively.

Very good point. Unless there is the need to raise funds or awareness, it could (and IMO should) have been done without any sort of advertisement.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 5, 2015, 12:56 p.m.

That guy in the middle's got too much 'tude someone needs to clip his wings.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 5, 2015, 1 p.m.

That guy in the middle's got too much 'tude someone needs to clip his wings.

Speaking of wings. Maybe the name should be the Trail Fairies and they should wear these wings.

Much more gender neutral than watchMEN ;)
Also easily recognizable instead of that black that just blends in.

March 5, 2015, 2:11 p.m.

Great read,

My 5 cents worth:

Do I think the name "Watchmen" is a bit militant? Yeah kinda.
Is it a good idea? Yeah for sure.
Although this seems a bit out of left field… I feel with all the media attention, we may have attracted a few wing nuts who may try to sabotage the trails in the future. I can't not think of the eco warrior who ripped all the dog collars nailed to the trees down at Bridgeman park. It's a spot which was a memorial for peoples dogs who had passed on.
Keeping an eye on trails, with a " we are keeping an eye out" public message isn't such a bad idea.

Anyways NSMBA keep up the good work.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

March 6, 2015, 9:01 a.m.

To everyone with an opinion about this fill out the NSMBA Survey:

http://nsmba.ca/content/2015-02_participate-membership-survey-win-race-face-turbine-cinch-crank

AND Email the NSMBA
[email protected]

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

March 7, 2015, 8:21 p.m.

I was out of town when the picture in the Province happened, but reading this thread was very interesting. Very good (and mostly) respectful debate back and forth. My take:
The "controversy" over the name will blow over. Heckler's post caused me to immediately join NSMBA and complete the survey. I was impressed by the respect shown by Cam and Mark in the debate. I agree with Flip that we don't need to have a big media splash for every good thing that the community does. Realize that we can't pander to every vocal critic (although it makes sense to be very aware of them). Just because Lyle Craver was able to get his letter to the editor published, doesn't make his statements valid in any way. Even if the Watchmen had been called Caretakers, and the t-shirts were powder blue with a flower motif, Lyle and Monika would have found a way to object. I take great comfort from our community. If critics spent 5 minutes on the nsmba or muddbunnies websites, they should be ashamed of their efforts to ban mountain bikers. I don't know Debra Dunne (North Shore News letter to the editor March 1st) but apparently she is an avid hiker, who like 99.9% of people gets along just fine with bikers, who are fellow outdoor enthusiasts. Take heart from her words - "In fact, we owe a lot to the mountain bikers because they create and maintain a network of fabulous trails…There is nothing to fix. Leave it alone."

March 7, 2015, 8:44 p.m.

^^^^^Fantastic first post.

I don't know Debra Dunne (North Shore News letter to the editor March 1st) but apparently she is an avid hiker, who like 99.9% of people gets along just fine with bikers, who are fellow outdoor enthusiasts. Take heart from her words - "In fact, we owe a lot to the mountain bikers because they create and maintain a network of fabulous trails…There is nothing to fix. Leave it alone."

Yes. And we can't forget how privileged we are to be invited/allowed (land owner dependent) to build and maintain trails on the North Shore. A point that is clearly iterated at the NSMBA AGM each year including in 2014 by both the President and Program Director.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

March 9, 2015, 4:46 p.m.

Just noticed the Watchmen tag on Trailforks has now changed to Reporter.

March 9, 2015, 5:35 p.m.

Still sounds like a group that is snitching on others.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 9, 2015, 7:35 p.m.

Ah, come on…

I really don't get some of the criticism of the "Watchmen", now the "Reporter" thing (re-badged on trailforks). I think we are all pretty much agreed that it's a good idea to have a group that reports recent trail hazards and that maybe it could have been presented differently to avoid offending the miniscule percentage of the populace that may read fascist militia undertones into a photo of a few guys posing in a First Nations imagery inspired shirt, but it's starting to look like a petty witch hunt bandwagon to jump upon for some shits'n'giggles.

March 9, 2015, 8:08 p.m.

Ah, come on…
it's starting to look like a petty witch hunt bandwagon to jump upon for some shits'n'giggles.

yup. Pretty weak sauce.

March 9, 2015, 8:50 p.m.

It sounds like a temporary place holder to me.

It also sounds like our elected NSMBA BOD has listened to the - at least a large minority - of their passionate supporters who took issue with the branding of this otherwise excellent initiative?

We all know how hard it is to step back and critically evaluate something we have created and I, for one, really appreciate the maturity that it takes to come out of your trench, versus digging in your head/heals.

As someone who has had a opportunity to hear from non-mountain bikers about this roll-out (it was the topic de jour at the local coffee shop I frequent) I know that WE have some ground to cover to rebuild our image as an organization focused on "Trails For All, Trails Forever."

I'm absolutely not one for towing the line unquestioningly, and I know I can be as sardonic, cynical, and sarcastic as the next asshole, but I believe that at this point riders, like myself, who were critical of the Watchmen brand and roll-out owe our representatives an opportunity and the time to re-present a fresh vision.

I hope this is a very positive step in correcting a rare stumble in an otherwise excellent record of initiatives (see TAP, Trail Days, Twoonies, Presentations to Council, etc).

March 9, 2015, 9:03 p.m.

Also, for any one digging for a mea culpa: move on. It's about moving forward:

March 9, 2015, 9:38 p.m.

but it's starting to look like a petty witch hunt bandwagon to jump upon for some shits'n'giggles.

Burn her with fire.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 11, 2015, 8:26 a.m.

Had a great chat with Cam - thanks for that Cam.

1. I'll be honest, we didn't see any of this reaction coming.

2. When I see words like 'racist' and 'paramilitary', it is disheartening,

3. A bit of the background…
5 years-its been a long, hard journey with hundreds, thousands of us tackling the work. We want to make sure we stay on top of issues as they arise-this is the best way to care for trails.

4. The timing was really just coincidence. We'd been working with Trailforks to launch this well before the recent incidents. Timing is everything.

5. Inspiration for the name came from the Haida Gwaii Watchmen.

6. I know we all agree there’s a need for this program. But how to back pedal now that the genie’s out of the bottle? I can’t see myself wearing a Trail Fairy shirt, or Trail Kitten, or Trail Rainbow, but there’s obviously two paths here. We let the dust settle on this or we re-launch.

7. We welcome your input to move forward on this together. Like Cam said to me, its how we come through challenges like these that is our measure.

Mark Wood

1. You didn't see this coming? Do you not read the news about the trail vandalism, and the hiker/biker conflicts? The general attitude non bikers have to bikers?

2. I don't know, WATCH MAN kind of says it all…

3. so you're watching the TRAIL? not the MEN on the trails? So trailwatchers would be more appropriate?

4. Do you guys have a PR or marketing person? At the level you seem to want to act, it might be about time to work on the public image

5. Do they know you're basing your image/program on theirs/them?

6. I thought this was about the trails…

7. That would be nice.