The Watchmen

March 1, 2015, 6:54 p.m.

Colour coordination is serious business… ;)

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=10852962

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 1, 2015, 8:24 p.m.

I guess you have to laugh?

Between the "Shore Corps" ("The Green Berets of the North Shore") and the "Watchmen" it is starting to sound more like a paramilitary organization than a bunch of friendly mountain biking folks maintaining the local trails.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

March 2, 2015, 10:09 a.m.

I guess North Shore Big Brother was taken. Overlords maybe? :rolleyes:

How about something that would welcome women? Was this thought through before the shirts were printed? The logo, while somewhat ominous, isn't so bad. But the name?

This will likely be a great thing - but messaging is important - and this messaging needs work imho.

March 2, 2015, 10:20 a.m.

There were women in the Watchmen, we there was one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen

March 2, 2015, 10:24 a.m.

There were women in the Watchmen, we there was one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen

So you are saying this name is as appropriate as a 30-year old comic book marketed to teen boys? ;)

March 2, 2015, 10:56 a.m.

I agree that the name won't do any good. Shouldn't we show that there is no "war" on the shore? The idea is great but why that name?
In the eyes of a non-mountain biker this will sound like a military group now defending the bike trails.

IMO having less media hype about the "war in the woods" should be the direction and the "Watchmen" will certainly be fuel to the anti-mountain biker groups.

March 2, 2015, 10:59 a.m.

Much needed program I think considering the amount of traffic on the Shore.

Could have used a more neutral name like "watchers" which would mean the same and not create the delusion of cowboy cops.

They call them Fishers and Actors now so removing the gender reference is not a bad idea and doesn't feed into the sexist nature today's society is trying to steer away from.

March 2, 2015, 11:23 a.m.

The NSNews article has a less ominous tone to it thankfully.

http://www.nsnews.com/news/north-shore-mountain-bikers-mount-forest-patrols-1.1777135

But the branding is a little too Orwellian for my taste. Trail Stewards… Trail Ambassadors… anything with a friendlier connotation would be great.

March 2, 2015, 11:23 a.m.

Lots of women in the program Cam. Had you asked them, like we did, they see no problem with the name.

I dont think you'd find any objections to the program, within the program. Also not a fan of the military-esque feeling of it all. Not so much for me, I like the logo/design/etc. I just think for the hiker or even the non-biker that might make a trip to the NS once or twice a year, the optics of it probably aren't great.

It could be a good idea to keep tabs on the comments in the article to see what the 'public' opinion of the idea is.

(All that said, I think there's lots of great work being done, and that this program has the best of intentions).

March 2, 2015, 11:24 a.m.

Lots of women in the program Cam. Had you asked them, like we did, they see no problem with the name. In fact, the response was 'come on, really.' Back in the day, I saw a great interview with Hayley Wickenheiser about 'defensemen or defensewomen' - she just about back handed the interviewer.
Wasn't there some article about pedals just not too long ago…

C'mon guys, this is the pettiness you have devolved to?
Don't forget, these people you criticize are out doing the work on the very trails you ride. And for the most part, we have lots of fun doing it, despite nsmb.com boards. You guys take something fun and try to find the negativity in it. But I guess that's what the boards are for.

It's the Canadian way. Bitch when no one does anything. Then when someone steps up and makes something happen…bitch about how they did it.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 2, 2015, 11:44 a.m.

Why can't we be more like this?
http://m.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/mountain-biking-injects-8-million-into-squamish/Content?oid=2543461

March 2, 2015, 11:54 a.m.

Lots of women in the program Cam. Had you asked them, like we did, they see no problem with the name. In fact, the response was 'come on, really.' Back in the day, I saw a great interview with Hayley Wickenheiser about 'defensemen or defensewomen' - she just about back handed the interviewer.
Wasn't there some article about pedals just not too long ago…

C'mon guys, this is the pettiness you have devolved to?
Don't forget, these people you criticize are out doing the work on the very trails you ride. And for the most part, we have lots of fun doing it, despite nsmb.com boards. You guys take something fun and try to find the negativity in it. But I guess that's what the boards are for.

I'm pretty sure there isn't anyone saying this isn't a good idea or that the work done by you and the nsmba isn't massively appreciated. Adding those elements to this discussion is like saying police conduct shouldn't be evaluated because of the work they do. If anything the opposite is true; when you take on a huge responsibility like this there is bound to be more scrutiny, and those checks and balances are what keep organizations from over-stepping.

And suggesting this forum is the only place this discussion is taking place isn't accurate. It seems there's a bit of a stir on Facebook as well.

Like it or not, many of us mountain bikers feel that the nsmba represents us and we have a personal stake in how that image is presented to the rest of the world. As you mentioned, nsmb.com and I personally have been criticized in a similar way. And while my responses haven't always been perfect, I have listened to what people have said and taken those perspectives into consideration. Undoubtedly I'm still a jerk, but I'm working on it.

The nsmba is unrecognizable since your arrival Mark. There is no question that we wouldn't be where we are without your hard work. TAP was and is a masterstroke - and your tireless efforts are remarkable and inspiring. In all seriousness I am in awe of all you have accomplished. You have made an incredible difference for everyone who uses the North Shore trails.

But none of that makes the nsmba immune to feedback. You clearly don't agree with this feedback, which is fine. But suggesting any pushback or criticism is inherently wrong or invalid, or that it suggests a lack of appreciation of your work, is at odds with your otherwise amazing leadership qualities.

March 2, 2015, 12:01 p.m.

The nsmba is unrecognizable since your arrival Mark. There is no question that we wouldn't be where we are without your hard work. TAP was and is a masterstroke - and your tireless efforts are remarkable and inspiring. In all seriousness I am in awe of all you have accomplished. You have made an incredible difference for everyone who uses the North Shore trails.

But none of that makes the nsmba immune to feedback. You clearly don't agree with this feedback, which is fine. But suggesting any pushback or criticism is inherently wrong or invalid, or that it suggests a lack of appreciation of your work is at odds with your otherwise amazing leadership qualities.

What he said!

March 2, 2015, 12:04 p.m.

When I first heard about this watchmen thing this morning, i immediately thought it was about the recent problems being had. Read the province later and the sub headline said something along the lines of "group insisting it has nothing to do with policing the trails". I think the fact that you have to state something like that shows that maybe its not the greatest image to use for the group

March 2, 2015, 12:15 p.m.

I guess you have to laugh?

Between the "Shore Corps" ("The Green Berets of the North Shore") and the "Watchmen" it is starting to sound more like a paramilitary organization than a bunch of friendly mountain biking folks maintaining the local trails.

Hey Drew - Looks like you've got a secret admirer!

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Video+North+Shore+Watchmen+take+hills+protect+mountain+bike+trails/10852620/story.html