the shore is dead, long live the shore

May 5, 2007, 6:08 p.m.

we used to get half an hour before we went to bed and lick the road clean with out tounges

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

May 5, 2007, 7:46 p.m.

:lol:

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

A complex interaction between sterics and electronics…

May 5, 2007, 8:02 p.m.

When i started snowboarding, I wore duck-taped sorels and rode a wood sidewalled Terry Kidwill. Flat as a board - it was a board. I even wore stretchy pants and rocked the moguls. We were a tight bunch. If I saw a car with a snowboard sticker on the mountain I'd go and search that guy out! It was a brotherhood and it was elite, but anyone could join. Then, everyone joined and it all changed.

Mountain bikings just a few years behind, that's all.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

May 6, 2007, 10:59 a.m.

i was watching nsx 1 last night and was thinking about what the shore is or used to be. i figure the style of riding that is becomming the new wave can not be called shore riding. what do you think? or do you even care?

originally i had this :cry: as a reply, but then, as i read the thread, in a certain way..i do not really care, because you can still say…

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

May 6, 2007, 11:12 a.m.

i see the shore as knarly wood structures being shredded by dangerour dan or whoever. berrecloth and boyko and still doin this but just in a different style

JDM POWER!

May 6, 2007, 2:59 p.m.

:lol:

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

eye, and the youf teday…well, they just don't believe ya!

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

May 6, 2007, 4:10 p.m.

I'll say one thing….back when the Shore was alive and kicking,it didn't take 3 weeks to devise a plan for removing one windfall on one trail.

Burocracy(sp) has killed the Shore.

Pastor of Muppets

May 6, 2007, 4:22 p.m.

I think if kids and people are riding, thats really good. they could be sitting home playing video game. Even though the riding may have hanged, thats what it will be.

selling 2007 Marzocchi DJ3

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/269362/

May 6, 2007, 8:42 p.m.

Just go ride your bike.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 6, 2007, 9:50 p.m.

The slow, tech, gnar trails are still there - its just that noone rides them!

P.S. If you are lamenting a loss of the "adventure" and "exploratory" feel of mtn biking, whos fault is that? The fire road doesnt stop at the 7th switchback… Its a big, big province, eh?

no one makes you buy the maps or the fancy bikes either…
sorry bro, can't rep you 'till I spread it around!

Chirp

May 7, 2007, 7:57 a.m.

I'm glad most people don't like old skool stuff - it leaves those few remaining trails in better shape for those of us who do

FTW

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 7, 2007, 9:11 a.m.

no one makes you buy the maps or the fancy bikes either…
sorry bro, can't rep you 'till I spread it around!

Ayyyyy, hes back! Hows the prophet treating you on the rocky slopes of AZ?

A complex interaction between sterics and electronics…

May 7, 2007, 7:09 p.m.

the other day we were riding eagle for the first time in a while. I've been riding for alot longer than the other guys Iwas with, I just happen to progress alot slower on drops etc than one of the guys, so he hit alot more of the stunts than I did on 4 lost souls. then we got to the dentist, where it is alot more tech, less stunts, and I rode pretty much the whole thing, other than the bits I crashed on. he walked most of it. dunno what the point of this story was, maybe that people who started once everyone DJed and just bought a full suspention bike when they started riding don't have the tech skill that guys who learnt on a hardtail with v-brakes, and 2" forks (or better yet rigid) do. it seems to me that people you met on mountains used to be alot friendlier before so many people biked. even in races, people were nicer before
just my ramblings. congrats to anyone who kept reading

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

May 7, 2007, 8:24 p.m.

the difference now is that we have the technology to plow through the gnarly stuff. i guess we could step it up and ride slowly through superburdonous terrain but that wouldn't be any fun. plowing is just waaay more fun than jarring your way down the mountain.

May 7, 2007, 8:48 p.m.

the difference now is that we have the technology to plow through the gnarly stuff. i guess we could step it up and ride slowly through superburdonous terrain but that wouldn't be any fun. plowing is just waaay more fun than jarring your way down the mountain.

i'll agree that it's easier, but not necessarily more fun. really working the bike hard to pick the best line when you're riding a hardtail has it's own set of rewards. i think people that don't do both are missing out on some of the good times that mtb'ing has to offer.

if all i wanted was smooth i'd stick to a road bike.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer