the shore is dead, long live the shore

May 8, 2007, 9:57 a.m.

but rim brakes …? that's just cruel and unsual punishment. on the shore, rim brakes are only sane in the dry IMO. otherwise you really can't stop and your rims won't last long at all.

And yet, we did just that for years before disc brakes for mtn bikes existed. Try Wild Cherry/Roaches in 6" of snow with a Judy-equipped steel hardtail c/w v-brakes and the most chi-chi bike in the group actually had Magura hydraulic rim brakes …

Kn. (It can be done)

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 8, 2007, 9:57 a.m.

feeling old and cranky after a nasty muscle pulled on Sunday's ride

You were at the wrong ride on Sunday. You missed the race, lots of peddling there.

Yes, I did spell it wrong intentionally.

May 8, 2007, 10:12 a.m.

You were at the wrong ride on Sunday. You missed the race

Yah, I know and I do feel kind of bad about that … the logistics of getting over to the SSC and back were becoming increasingly painful as race day got closer, so I gave up and did a local ride.

It's okay though, karma bit me back in the form of a "groin injury". Now I know how all those hockey players feel …

Kn.

May 8, 2007, 10:34 a.m.

on a hardtail - for sure! start someone on an HT for first 2 years and they will be a ripper when they try out a dually … and likely moreso than someone who rode a dually for their first two years.

but rim brakes …? that's just cruel and unsual punishment. on the shore, rim brakes are only sane in the dry IMO. otherwise you really can't stop and your rims won't last long at all.

ever seen the first parts of the nsx series? just wondering…

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

May 8, 2007, 10:35 a.m.

I'll say one thing….back when the Shore was alive and kicking,it didn't take 3 weeks to devise a plan for removing one windfall on one trail.

Burocracy(sp) has killed the Shore.

You are correct. That windfall stayed there for three months - or perhaps forever - unless it happened to be on a trail that Digger was working on when it fell. The way the trails have been rehabilitated after one of the worst winters ever is nothing short of amazing. There was so much deadfall and so many nasty washouts that I thought we'd be picking up the pieces well into June. Work remains to be done but we have come a huge distance thanks to the tireless work of some incredibly dedicated folks. Even Splynchro for god's sake.

Things happen much faster and more efficiently now. Folks like Dieter (and many others but he's a great example) are doers who don't need to consult to do something correctly.

Bureaucracy (I looked it up) has perhaps sanitized certain trails on the Shore out of necessity but without that organization the Monica/Ernie forces could have got the whole shebang shut down - or sanitized to the point where all fun was erased.

While I love old school trails - I've been grooving on Severed lately - I also really enjoy the evolution. My favourite riding happens on Fromme where you can mix trails that have kept pace with bike technology and ones that are easily recognizeable from 10 years ago. The best of both world's is now imho.

I also don't encounter unfriendly riders or groups who won't say hi. I mean virtually never. I can't remember a single recent incident. I do however remember when the secrecy was such that groups who didn't know each other wouldn't speak because they were afraid they might have to protect their stashes. 'If we don't know you what are you doing here?' - was sometimes the vibe.

While I miss riding on loam and dirt on every trail I can still find it by climbing higher or accessing the mental trail database from the old days. The difference is that now I have the option of going fast and riding something smoother as well.

I really like where bikes are going as well. There is no question that for a time bikes got too heavy and unwieldy. Now weights are coming down and travel is becoming more sensible. At the same time bikes with squish pedal better than ever before and who is complaining about brakes that work almost without fail in the nastiest conditions? I haven't heard anyone say 'man I miss my v-brakes' lately.

I do agree that - as Ned so aptly put it - 'the charm of being involved in a fringe activity' is falling away some but I think what's coming to replace it - community, responsibility and organization have enduring benefits that are absolutely essential. And if you look at the bike business as a whole there is no question we are still on the fringe. Take a mountain biker from Arizona up on Ned's and find out just how close the edge we are.

I remember my first ride on the Shore. It was on Pipeline and it was a disaster. So much so that I was back the next day smiling as wide as the Fraser. The joy of discovery and accomplishment was such that we felt we were the only people in the world who could do what we were doing on bicycles. We were young and stupid and we didn't care at all. Sweet memories for sure but I think I'm building an even deeper resevoir of epic rides today. I'm having as much fun on my bike now as I've ever had - on incredible trails and with great friends old and new.

You are right Synchro. The Shore is Dead.
Long Live the Shore.

May 8, 2007, 10:36 a.m.

Yah, I know and I do feel kind of bad about that … the logistics of getting over to the SSC and back were becoming increasingly painful as race day got closer, so I gave up and did a local ride.

It's okay though, karma bit me back in the form of a "groin injury". Now I know how all those hockey players feel …

Kn.

If you rode locally, then you probably stayed cleaner than anyone who raced.

May 8, 2007, 11:06 a.m.

Nice little jar of reality pills Cam.

My bro Paul carries a very similar jar in spite of the pounding his little lines have been taking over the past coupla years.

Fact is, people will figure it out and find it. Bike-independent, some are dicks, some are really good- just depends on how YOU start the interaction with them and the words/information you choose in your interaction. Beat your chest a little and expect to get it back in youyr face. Offer up a tinge of crusty old school localism [HTML_REMOVED]holding up my hand in fine guilty fashion[HTML_REMOVED] and expect to get the stink eye or worse back.

Best to keep it low brow and make the best use of your disposable time… enjoying the ride, accepting change and making sure the groms have a positive outlet and proper trajectory into ride culture.

Ride More Bitch Less

May 8, 2007, 12:50 p.m.

I can't think of much to complain about riding on the Shore - maybe that I don't have time to ride all the trails?

The old days were wicked fun but riding is still just as fun today, maybe moreso, but its just different. And if you truly pine for the days of olde, you can always set up an old bike and go ride Bitches or something like that. We just have more variety today and most people don't opt for the beater/Bitches option for various reasons

Also, I dunno if all the old school stuff really was as techy as people think. Some of those trails started out very loamy and smooth and the roots and rocks got dug out after years of riding.

Actually speaking of old school tech, I was looking at the Pink Starfish entrance the other day when something caught my eye - the original entrance! I forgot about that. Anyone remember how gnarly and tight it was? These days you'd probably get your Super Monster stuck between the trees

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 8, 2007, 1:22 p.m.

Actually speaking of old school tech, I was looking at the Pink Starfish entrance the other day when something caught my eye - the original entrance! I forgot about that. Anyone remember how gnarly and tight it was? These days you'd probably get your Super Monster stuck between the trees

Yep, I remember when that was the only way in. And btw, I still ride that entrance, though I still only clean it about 1/2 the time or less. It's quite funny to ride that trail with newer riders:

"You're gonna there? You're nuts … that's impossible!"

Kn.

May 8, 2007, 2:27 p.m.

Take a mountain biker from Arizona up on Ned's and find out just how close the edge we are.

is that a throwdown? :bandit:

Chirp

May 8, 2007, 2:54 p.m.

Yep, I remember when that was the only way in. And btw, I still ride that entrance, though I still only clean it about 1/2 the time or less. It's quite funny to ride that trail with newer riders:

"You're gonna there? You're nuts … that's impossible!"

Kn.

??? There's a newer entrance? ;)

May 8, 2007, 3 p.m.

the old line is through the trees.

I doubt my bars would fit

May 8, 2007, 3:11 p.m.

is that a throwdown? :bandit:

Not a throwdown - but I'd love to go for a ride if you are in the hood.

Should read 'your average rider from Arizona.' I am well aware that there are riders in Arizona who could kick my ass on the Shore, at home and everywhere in between.

May 8, 2007, 3:26 p.m.

With regards to all that think the shore in regards to being a fringe activity and is long gone, you only need to change your occupation on the shore from rider to builder.

Once I started helping out on trails and the "group" got to know me and began to trust me I was granted access to the "fringe activity"

Earlier this year myself and another builder got the chance to ride a fresh cut trail that had never been touched by a rider and we got the chance to cut first tracks.

It was amazing, we were riding along and our guide brought us to the loam/duff and let us know the trail had just been finished the day before and we were the first riders to test the waters.

I feel like I am smack in the middle of a fringe activity if you ask me :)

May 8, 2007, 3:49 p.m.

i love what we have today and it has a lot of similarities to what happend 15-20 years ago, but unfortunately it's not the same. the shore was not only a special place, but a special time in history where certain people and events conspired to create a certain mystique that cannot be duplicated. however, every time we ride or build we create our own shore. the thing is, it's different from what happened in the past and will also be different from what others create in the future.

unfortunately i wasn't there to experience it, but this is the sense i get from talking to certain people, reading old mag/web articles and watching some of the first vids.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer