suggestion for bobsled

April 30, 2012, 12:11 a.m.

Seeing as how this is a funded trail and such parties might be at risk for any costs as a result of litigation resulting from injuries…(hows that for fancy lawspeaks?)

ya might want to put down some tacky tape or glue-grit on the exit woodwork…i was walking the dog around there today and watched as one guy came outta bobsled ..not super speedy or nothing - and lost his front wheel traction on the woodwork . good thing he was going slow cuz he was able to dab a few times and hold on till he got to the road…i've always thought that exit was a little sketch. Not too sure why it was built that way. If it was to control the exit speed so people don't shoot out onto the road - ok….(like they do 20 metres down the road on the BP exit?) - but a little more thought might have gone into it. I just seems like an accident waiting to happen again and again. Once that wood gets a little more polished, add some slime and rain and voila. Sketchville.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

April 30, 2012, 8:57 a.m.

I believe there is this thing called brakes………….I'm pretty sure people are meant to use them before they get to the exit…

Exit was built this way so people don't shoot out into the traffic. It's woodwork, like anywhere else on the mountain, you should know that when it's wet, it's slippery.

didnt know nsmb was only for pros

its not, its only for dicks.

My Flickr

April 30, 2012, 9 a.m.

while we're on the subject, any plans to fix up that second corner?

April 30, 2012, 9:02 a.m.

No trail crew this year, too bad.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

April 30, 2012, 9:08 a.m.

I believe there is this thing called brakes………….I'm pretty sure people are meant to use them before they get to the exit…

Exit was built this way so people don't shoot out into the traffic. It's woodwork, like anywhere else on the mountain, you should know that when it's wet, it's slippery.

May I suggest laying asphalt for the entire lenght of the trail along with some strategically placed tissue dispensers?

Pastor of Muppets

April 30, 2012, 9:20 a.m.

You're right, speed should be controlled, but that last deck platform at the end gets really, really slick, I've wiped out on it before and now I never cross it at more than walking speed, which still makes me nervous.

April 30, 2012, 9:27 a.m.

now I never cross it at more than walking speed, which still makes me nervous.

see, you've learned. so will they, and the railing will catch them if they haven't learned yet.

some big boulders before the bridge to create a gate you have to zigzag through could help too.

April 30, 2012, 9:34 a.m.

see, you've learned. so will they, and the railing will catch them if they haven't learned yet.

some big boulders before the bridge to create a gate you have to zigzag through could help too.

That's my point. You can control the exit speed without making it slick and dangerous.

April 30, 2012, 9:35 a.m.

That's my point. You can control the exit speed without making it slick and dangerous.

why do that when you can berate someone for making a suggestion instead?

April 30, 2012, 9:37 a.m.

No trail crew this year, too bad.

I think you might be wrong on this one Sharon..

My Flickr

April 30, 2012, 9:46 a.m.

They could control the exit speed if they cut the bridge back to being 3-inches wide. Then nobody would complain about slippery wood on North Shore tails.

April 30, 2012, 10 a.m.

i rode it for the first time yesterday and had a big grin on my face at the end. love the wall ride. luckily no issues with the exit (i'd already drawn blood by that point in any event lol) but i did slow way down.

April 30, 2012, 10:06 a.m.

while we're on the subject, any plans to fix up that second corner?

We tried fixing it last year by digging a big ditch behind it, made it better but obviously still needs work. I think a wooden berm on that one too might be the solution.

My Flickr

April 30, 2012, 10:10 a.m.

We tried fixing it last year by digging a big ditch behind it, made it better but obviously still needs work. I think a wooden berm on that one too might be the solution.

I'm no trailbuilder, but I don't think a wooden berm is the solution. How can Half Nelson have berms that have stood the test of time with as many riders? Surely Bobsled can have the same types of berms built, no?

April 30, 2012, 10:20 a.m.

There's some underground water in that berm because the hardpan is only 2 feet under. Because of this, the dirt on top is always wet. It's not an issue with the berm itself, it's just water flowing between the dirt and hardpan.

My Flickr