Strava love/hate discussion

Sept. 24, 2015, 7:06 p.m.

Was that a certain bike shop owner?

yah and friends on a group ride. But to be fair it looks like they don't do that anymore. So I was pointing it out as a pretty bad example.

Fair enough. I guess I'm talking more about illegal mtb trails than legal hiking trails. If someone builds an illegal mtb trail and it gets strava'd then I don't see why the rider should be blamed as it could be by accident. What are we trying to accomplish with this discussion? The preservation of illegal trails or the preservation of land?

About this discussion, I was just mentioning the example I knew about trying to get some segments removed by reporting them as hazardous and saying that I was totally unsuccessful. Sounds like lowcard had more success so if he did that's great.

Sept. 24, 2015, 7:25 p.m.

Just about every MTB trail in BC was built "illegally"…just saying

Sept. 24, 2015, 7:36 p.m.

Ermagawd dude, thank you. I just did this. So much trail/map geekery is in my future…

It's now officially your fault if I fail my carpentry exam tomorrow.

Sign in to Trailforks, hover over "ride log" and click "add ride log".

Then click on "Bulk Strava Import" to upload all your past activities.

Click on "Automatic Strava Importing" to set it up so that all your new activities will be uploaded automatically.

Sept. 25, 2015, 7:23 a.m.

Without authorization is the terminology we prefer here ;)

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 25, 2015, 10:20 a.m.

Key word "was". The ways of the past don't help build strong relationships in highly political and scrutinized land owner situations.

Just saying.

Sept. 25, 2015, 10:58 a.m.

I see trails on the heat map in alpine areas that I wouldn't think anyone would ride so I am thinking they are strava ski routes. But I see other heat map trials in local parks that I am certain some people ride, but shouldn't. The heat map is a tool people can use to find trails that are not on any maps. Clearly riding trails closed to biking and broadcasting it is just selfish and/or stupid. As other have indicated Strava is a good tool for training and tracking but if you are really competitive, pin on a number and do for real. I tried Strava for a handful of rides. Confirms what I knew already. I'm slow.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Sept. 25, 2015, 12:21 p.m.

Also, do private rides still show up on heatmaps?

In 'Settings-[HTML_REMOVED]Privacy' you can exclude ALL of your rides from the heatmap.

Sept. 25, 2015, 12:29 p.m.

^Yeah I've had that turned off for as long as I can recall.

Not sure what "Strava Labs Flyby" is though?

Strava is great because a bunch of people went out and rode a new trail the other day. With the pictures on social media and the Strava linked rides I know exactly where to look for it. :)

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 25, 2015, 12:58 p.m.

Not sure what "Strava Labs Flyby" is though?

Strava Flybys is a pretty cool (and maybe creepy) feature that allows you to see the strava routes of all the people you passed along your ride who were also recording on Strava. Here's a link to the Flyby from my ride on Fromme on Tuesday. Select the people whose tracks you want to view and then click play.

http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#398029664

Sept. 25, 2015, 1:55 p.m.

Key word "was". The ways of the past don't help build strong relationships in highly political and scrutinized land owner situations.

Just saying.

And what of areas where land owners are silent and absent?

Or where the trail association says they won't build without authorization yet the trail association employs someone who builds and does trailwork without authorization yet the trail association calls out unauthorized trailwork as rogue and renegade? Is that hypocritical?

Just saying.

Sept. 25, 2015, 2:43 p.m.

Just saying.

land managers… land owners are we the people.

:canada:

Sept. 25, 2015, 11:42 p.m.

Until you've beaten a pro on a trail you've ridden countless times then you havant really lived the Strava lifestyle yet .

Sept. 27, 2015, 8:12 a.m.

And what do strong relationships with land managers yield? Can we get all of dales ruined?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 28, 2015, 7:27 a.m.

was thinking about this whole "stravassholes are ruining everything" idea that seems to perpetuate….how many people do you actually think use it? 5% of riders? especially on mtb that's probably being generous, and only a small portion of those are probably these alleged assholes you all seem to experience. So, what, like 1% of people riding are using strava and are assholes? yet you guys talk like it's a freaking uncontrollable epidemic….it's not, the same percentage of people who were assholes before, and are still assholes. I don't think it's the problem you think it is when you look at it logically.

Sept. 28, 2015, 9:53 a.m.

was thinking about this whole "stravassholes are ruining everything" idea that seems to perpetuate….how many people do you actually think use it? 5% of riders? especially on mtb that's probably being generous, and only a small portion of those are probably these alleged assholes you all seem to experience. So, what, like 1% of people riding are using strava and are assholes? yet you guys talk like it's a freaking uncontrollable epidemic….it's not, the same percentage of people who were assholes before, and are still assholes. I don't think it's the problem you think it is when you look at it logically.

It's all just made up bullshit. People just love to bitch about other people.