Cypress - New Survey is up - TRAILS ABOVE 1200ft IMPACTED

Nov. 8, 2021, 12:46 p.m.

That is awesome!!!

And the builders are supposed to be getting paid for this and Im sure their materials are being covered, to the extent there are materials.

I imagine that it is nice being able to build knowing that the work is supported and without worries that the landowner is going to find it the next day and rip it all apart.

Jan. 15, 2024, 3:21 p.m.

Posted by: AlanB

Posted by: ben.rogers

Improve safety... I hope that doesn't mean what I think it means.

Pretty stoked though if Morgies can see a re-imagining, always felt like a bit of an afterthought

The safety messaging is important for the District and the points are an easy sell. Everyone wins with this plan.

1) Hiker safety is improved by no downhill bikes on the hiking route.

2) Downhill biker safety is improved by the DH trails being designated biking-only.

3) Uphill biker safety is improved by pedalling up the new climber and staying off Cypress Bowl Road.

Bump

Whatever happened to this plan for a climbing trail from Cypress lookout?

It seems to have gone quiet though I see NSMBA has scheduled some trail building events in that area over the next few months....

https://westvancouver.ca/government-administration/major-projects/upper-lands-mountain-bike-trail-partnership

Last edited by: SixZeroSixOne on Jan. 15, 2024, 3:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link
Jan. 15, 2024, 8:55 p.m.

That's a great announcement from WV Parks, congratulations AlanB et. al.!

Cypress = the long game 6061.

Jan. 15, 2024, 9:39 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

You're not joking about that. I was kinda hoping that two and a half years after the original announcement, there'd be something tangible/physical on the ground rather than yet another council "announcement" 😞

NSMBA don't mention which trail(s) are being worked on for their upcoming events. I'm mostly curious whether "someone" has even scoped out the potential trail alignment of the climbing trail.

The speed things are (seem to be...) going, I'll be too old to even use such a trail unless it's a nice shallow 4% climb (or I'll have to figure out how to afford an ebike) 😜

(Was this gonna be a machine built climbing trail or am I getting mixed up with something else??)

Jan. 16, 2024, 9:01 a.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

Posted by: heckler

You're not joking about that. I was kinda hoping that two and a half years after the original announcement, there'd be something tangible/physical on the ground rather than yet another council "announcement" 😞

NSMBA don't mention which trail(s) are being worked on for their upcoming events. I'm mostly curious whether "someone" has even scoped out the potential trail alignment of the climbing trail.

The speed things are (seem to be...) going, I'll be too old to even use such a trail unless it's a nice shallow 4% climb (or I'll have to figure out how to afford an ebike) 😜

(Was this gonna be a machine built climbing trail or am I getting mixed up with something else??)

I shuttle up in the Jersey/Morgies/Mystery area quite a bit, and hang out/ride with one of the legacy builders in that area semi-regularly. I don't have many specifics for you, but I can assure you the route has been planned, and preliminary work has been done. Upper Mystery DH won't really be a thing anymore, due to the overlap of the two trails.

As for some of the other sanctioned work in that area, it seems to be going great. Those trails are generally in all-time condition, with regular maintenance and updates.

Last edited by: mammal on Jan. 16, 2024, 9:05 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 17, 2024, 12:58 p.m.

Route has been flagged, it's a machine build.  The signs at the top say completion fall 2024 I believe.  It'll probably be a steep climb, perfect for e-bikes.

Jan. 17, 2024, 2:19 p.m.

Posted by: Kever

Route has been flagged, it's a machine build.  The signs at the top say completion fall 2024 I believe.  It'll probably be a steep climb, perfect for e-bikes.

Thanks Kever, that's useful to know

Jan. 17, 2024, 5:10 p.m.

tragic

Jan. 17, 2024, 6:41 p.m.

Posted by: inshane

tragic

how so?

Jan. 18, 2024, 1:27 p.m.

Doesn't the steep E-bike friendly climb already exist? BLT. Or if you are just wanting to do laps of the East side, wouldn't you just 'Turbo' up the road?

Jan. 18, 2024, 4:57 p.m.

Nobody was asking for the climb trail, but it was part of the sanctioning process.  I think it's mostly for hikers.

Jan. 18, 2024, 6:46 p.m.

The climbing trail came as a result of two factors: 1) BPP “owed” DWV a hiking trail as a result of some previous Rogers Creek concessions by the District, and 2) the concept of authorizing trails between the 3rd and 5th and have riders all pedal up their laps up the road, presented some safety concerns. The concept of increased shuttle traffic and parking by the cabins was also not well received.

In addition, initially the hiking trail that BPP was considering was going from nowhere to nowhere - and it was likely going to do it around SexBoy/SexGirl, which had potential to disrupt all the good stuff around there.

So instead, make a two way hike trail, one way uphill bike trail in an area that potentially benefits bikers safety and cross off each of the concerns while saving SG/SB from potential disaster.

Last edited by: Ddean on Jan. 18, 2024, 6:47 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 19, 2024, 9:25 a.m.

That's certainly not "tragic". It's quite reasonable.

Jan. 19, 2024, 1 p.m.

Thanks for the info. Makes more sense from a legality point of view. Hopefully MTB trail builders will get paid work out of it.

Jan. 19, 2024, 1:13 p.m.

Yes I believe the climb trail will be handed over to the NSMBA for maintenance after completion similar to CBC so a TAP adopter and trail crew would be eligible for compensation.