Bicycle Commuter Tax Credits Petition

Dec. 6, 2006, 5:08 a.m.

A buddy just emailed a link to this from Craigslist. Thought some here might be interested.

Basically it's a petition to get the Conservative government to extend the public transit tax credit to bicycle commuters as well as companies that support employee's who cycle to work.

Plus fight obesity, emissions and so on.

http://www.gopetition.com/online/10170.html

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 6, 2006, 9:50 a.m.

We're seeing a fair bit of progress on this issue over here in Victoria. Recently several lengths of wide, 2- and 3-lane streets have had a lane lopped off and a bike lane added. The main drag downtown (Douglas) is getting a bike lane on at least one side of the street.

I already save so much money cycling to work that any tax incentives I could expect to receive wouldn't really be significant… but every little bit helps I guess. I'd rather see more money go into making the roads even safer for cyclists. As it is, I already ride most of my way home in my own 5-foot wide lane, passing black after block of gridlock. Maybe covered bike lanes? ;)

Dec. 6, 2006, 11:24 a.m.

Yes, sign this petition. Yes, send it to your friends to sign. Yes….do it. Yes.:announce:

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Dec. 6, 2006, 11:27 a.m.

Maybe covered bike lanes? ;)

sure, with aircon and heating for bad weather

good petition, will sign

Dec. 6, 2006, 12:07 p.m.

Signed a while back… so important!

www.steedcycles.com

Dec. 6, 2006, 12:22 p.m.

That's really cool. Vancouver is a great city to commute by bike in but it would be nice to see more support and more infrastructure outside the city. Tax breaks would be great as keeping a bike running isn't free. I love running errands with my huge ass messenger bag while I'm in Vancouver but anywhere outside of Vancouver, such as Langley is a nightmare. Cool petition, I signed it but I think what we really need to do is make cycling a more viable option in places outside the city.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Dec. 6, 2006, 1:26 p.m.

I would prefer if they just used the money to improve cycling infrastructure, more bike lanes etc.. especially in the outer cities as was mentioned. As a bicycle commuter I would appreciate that more than a few extra dollars on my return.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 7, 2006, 5:48 p.m.

Yes!!! Sign, and send this around, post on other bike forums, send it to your friends, your families…this needs to be done!

And by the way, if you think this stuff matters, why not actually tell that to the people who make the decisions. Email Ms Ambrose or local governmnet officials; you don't need to write an essay, just a simple email that takes 5min would do much more than a petition signature. Below is what I wrote to the BC Minister of Transportation:

"_Dear Mr. Falcon
Today I signed an online petition whose goal was to request the federal government to take on a more active role in promoting cycling in Canada and to create legislature that will encourage and reward Canadians who choose to commute to work by bicycle. I feel very strongly about the importance of this petition and wanted to bring the matter to your attention because I believe we should be striving for this objective on a provincial level as well. I wanted to personally put forward a request to you and ask you to help us achieve the goal of conserving our beautiful province and improving the health of British Columbians through cycling.

Below I attached the original petition text

_ I hope that you appreciate the importance and value of this proposal and will be able to help voice these ideas and make our aspiration a reality."

Dec. 8, 2006, 8:49 a.m.

I wish they would give a credit based on the Km you put in. I will break 12,000 km next friday for the year so far. And that is not even including riding after work.

Dec. 8, 2006, 9:07 a.m.

I wish they would give a credit based on the Km you put in. I will break 12,000 km next friday for the year so far. And that is not even including riding after work.

damn…good on ya.

Couch

I am a vegetarian not because I love animals but because I HATE plants.

It could be worse…you could be on fire.

Dec. 8, 2006, 10:06 a.m.

The way the petition is worded, they are asking for it to be based on distance commuted. Or rather, based on the CO2 emissions you would have otherwise released.

Dec. 8, 2006, 10:23 a.m.

I agree on the more bike infastructure over a tax break.

My office has great bike storage/shower set up but I think a central downtown facility that had real secure bike lock ups+ showers and Lockers would really motivate alot of people to jump on their bikes.

Dec. 8, 2006, 10:32 a.m.

My office has great bike storage/shower set up but I think a central downtown facility that had real secure bike lock ups+ showers and Lockers would really motivate alot of people to jump on their bikes.

i'd have to agree. it's easier to bring the bike in to work knowing you've got a safe place to lock up your ride and to shower before you start your work day.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 11, 2006, 2:05 p.m.

Infastructure is good when the planners know what they are doing. This isn't always the case, for example the Dollarton bike path (a meandering, uneven, obstacle-strewn death-trap), and the off-Marine Drive West Vancouver (Dundarave-[HTML_REMOVED]Horshoe Bay) "bike route". Also politicans seem to think a 250 meter long white line 3 feet from the curb and a couple of "Share the Road" signs a major concession to cyclists (see Main Street, N Van).

Lockups and showers are great too, but I'll take riding a beater and being the office "B.O. dude" any day over getting t-boned by a car on the way to work. D. [HTML_REMOVED]- ("You smell something?")

July 12, 2007, 9:36 a.m.

I don't know if this has been discussed elsewhere but, NO MORE PST!!! HURRAY!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just saw a sign on my local lbs yesterday!

http://www.finalgear.com