Translink & 0.5% vote (merged)

March 10, 2015, 10:56 p.m.

will this 0.5% get translink their own walkman sniffing dog?

Pastor of Muppets

March 10, 2015, 11:20 p.m.

do you have stats to back that up? otherwise it's just pure speculation. thanks for sharing your speculation.

How much is the subway going to cost? Right now it's projected at $2 billion, or about 30% of the $7.5 billion the Mayors are asking for. Everyone else can have rapid transit above ground, but Vancouver's west side can only have transit below ground (Cambie, Broadway), and that costs more. The Arbutus corridor could have been built for $600 million less than an underground route along Cambie, but it wasn't because of "community concerns". It ended up costing twice as much to build.

Again, it was OK to put in the SkyTrain through people's back yards in East Vancouver because that was the most cost effective, but it's not OK to do so in the west side. Same principle applies to downtown and efficient transportation routing.

If you need stats, just view the Mayor's Vision report and search for Arbutus/Cambie corridor and RAV/Canada line.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 11, 2015, 7:36 a.m.

I'd like to vote yes, but I can't with Translink at the helm. Translink is a debacle that has to be sorted out before we give them even more money.

I'm also a fan of the idea of placing tolls on all the bridges in order to capture more revenue and spread the cost.

March 11, 2015, 11 a.m.

Here's a decent article I can across this morning. I'm not sure about the whole Rob Ford comparison but brings up valid points for the yes side.

http://foodforthoughtbookclub.com/2015/03/10/vancouvers-rob-ford-moment/

March 11, 2015, 11:59 a.m.

You neocons are pennywise and pound foolish to be prideful about that bridge that costs us so much, and then point to translink salaries as wasteful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amazing how you can have all that growth south of the fraser yet no extra people are going to drive over the portmann in fact why build more transit if the bridge is going to be that fluid

sorry not buying the "sighline institutes" longterm projections

March 11, 2015, 1:06 p.m.

It's the province 's projections (notSightline's) used to justify the debt. Tell Jordan Bateman you don't believe the projection and feel duped as he was part of the group rallying behind Port Mann project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSMBA member.

March 11, 2015, 1:12 p.m.

Anyone find a good source of traffic data for bridges like the Port Mann, Patullo, Alex Fraser and the GM Tunnel?

I searched for the Port Mann and it is surprisingly difficult to find. Easy to find news reports about it but not the actual data used to create the news story.

Is someone hiding it? Any why?

~~~~~~~

My wife and I drive either the Alex Fraser, Patullo or GM Tunnel every morning [HTML_REMOVED] afternoon. Our feeling is that the amount of traffic has increased a lot since the construction on the PM bridge started, then increased again once the tolls were implemented.

March 11, 2015, 1:47 p.m.

http://www.pmh1project.com/about-the-project/about-ti-corp/Pages/Traffic.aspx

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 11, 2015, 2:21 p.m.

http://www.pmh1project.com/about-the-project/about-ti-corp/Pages/Traffic.aspx

Thanks, I looked at the PM-H1 site but couldn't find that page.

Anyone have links for the other bridges and tunnel?

Completion of the SFPR has also seemed to have a big impact too, it made it easier for people to avoid the PM.

Edit:
I wonder why they aren't showing the 2013 Total Monthly Traffic on their chart? They must have the data since they list the Monthly Weekday Average Traffic for 2013.

March 11, 2015, 3:33 p.m.

Some interesting reading on the Translink budget shortfalls. A lot of it is tied to decline gas sales. The forecasting error in spotting the fuel consumption decline has caught many transportation authorities off guard. In BC's case, the forecast was made harder by Victoria's decision to add fuel tax at different point in supply chain. Hard to pin this kind of goal post moving on Translink. For CraigH: many of the stats on regional bridge usage seem to come from Translink reports…

NSMBA member.

March 11, 2015, 4:09 p.m.

Oh the irony in declining fuel usage causing budget shortfalls.

The Mayor's plan calls for a reduction in gas tax of six cents a liter.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

March 11, 2015, 5:14 p.m.

Anyone find a good source of traffic data for bridges like the Port Mann, Patullo, Alex Fraser and the GM Tunnel?

I searched for the Port Mann and it is surprisingly difficult to find. Easy to find news reports about it but not the actual data used to create the news story.

Is someone hiding it? Any why?

~~~~~~~

My wife and I drive either the Alex Fraser, Patullo or GM Tunnel every morning [HTML_REMOVED] afternoon. Our feeling is that the amount of traffic has increased a lot since the construction on the PM bridge started, then increased again once the tolls were implemented.

you can find some here also http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/trafficData/index.html

March 11, 2015, 5:32 p.m.

you can find some here also http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/trafficData/index.html

Thanks!
Interesting, the not really data, more like reports.

This one is for Alex Fraser, south end where the Nordel overpass is.

https://pub-apps.th.gov.bc.ca/tig-public/Report.do?pdbSiteId=14089

Interesting that the summer volume is higher than the average for the rest of the year. Tourists?

~~~~~

Ah, data is here, but 2014 is missing:
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/trafficData/tradas/tradas.asp?loc=P-16-60NS

March 11, 2015, 5:43 p.m.

The Mayor's plan calls for a reduction in gas tax of six cents a liter.

Well, maybe. And definitely not soon. The way I read the plan is that they would only do that following the implementation of road pricing. That's got nothing to do with this particular tax increase.

March 11, 2015, 7:20 p.m.

How much is the subway going to cost? Right now it's projected at $2 billion, or about 30% of the $7.5 billion the Mayors are asking for. Everyone else can have rapid transit above ground, but Vancouver's west side can only have transit below ground (Cambie, Broadway), and that costs more. The Arbutus corridor could have been built for $600 million less than an underground route along Cambie, but it wasn't because of "community concerns". It ended up costing twice as much to build.

the arbutus corridor didn't get built because it didn't make any sense to send a transit line through a low density residential area. it would have really only served one commercial area along the way - the kerrisdale village. cambie as a route makes far more sense because it serves higher density residential as well as significantly more commercial and business districts. there's no point in putting rapid transit in a location where people aren't going to use it.

Again, it was OK to put in the SkyTrain through people's back yards in East Vancouver because that was the most cost effective, but it's not OK to do so in the west side. Same principle applies to downtown and efficient transportation routing.

If you need stats, just view the Mayor's Vision report and search for Arbutus/Cambie corridor and RAV/Canada line.

so if this is what your argument boils down to, an east vs west paradigm, then you have to consider r/e prices. real estate today is nowhere near the value of what it was 30 plus years ago when the first sktrain line got built.

if this is the route you want to go down then you need to consider potential benefit/use vs cost. what would you rather do, spend X dollars on one that generates Y users or spend 3X dollars on another mode that generates 5Y users? if the goal of transit is to move as many people around as quickly and efficiently as possible then i think it makes more sense to spend more money on the more beneficial system. out of all the systems proposed, to me combo #1 makes the most sense and includes surface rail once past the broadway commercial/business district.

Combination Alternative 1: Combination of RRT from VCC-Clark to Arbutus with the portion of the LRT2 route operating from Main Street-Science World to UBC.

This alternative addresses the capacity and reliability problems in the corridor and provides the second greatest improvement at the second highest lifecycle cost. It is projected to have 350,000 daily boardings (2041) and generate 44,000 additional daily transit trips in the region. It provides rapid transit benefits to a broader area than either RRT or LRT1 as it serves two routes east of Arbutus. It has the second highest ridership and provides 80 per cent of the quantifiable benefits of RRT at 85 per cent of the cost. The LRT portion operates at street-level and therefore would have impacts associated with turning restrictions and reduced road capacity.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer