Toronto cops bag another 150 pounder

July 29, 2013, 7:38 p.m.

Way to go heros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy2zsuRyjaQ

July 29, 2013, 7:51 p.m.

Clearly the Police were in peril and feared for their lives.

iforonewelcome.com

July 29, 2013, 7:56 p.m.

I think it's pretty safe to say if you are brandishing a knife towards police with guns drawn and pointed at you, you have some sort of death wish.

July 29, 2013, 7:57 p.m.

Background story?

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

July 29, 2013, 8 p.m.

He shoot a whole clip!? Christ, the cops were like 10 ft away. Shoot the guy in the leg and go home.

July 29, 2013, 8:14 p.m.

Or don't even fucking shoot him at all.

On the surface, it looks like they used lethal force for no other reason than to avoid overtime. The dude was alone in a bus, VERY unlikely to harm anyone but himself. Why the fuck would you shoot a gun at him in the first place, let along 9 fucking times?!?

iforonewelcome.com

July 29, 2013, 8:14 p.m.

Here is where a taser would have been useful. WTF were the cops thinking?

July 29, 2013, 8:22 p.m.

what a bunch of clowns

July 29, 2013, 8:27 p.m.

He shoot a whole clip!? Christ, the cops were like 10 ft away. Shoot the guy in the leg and go home.

this ^^^

Or just let him sit until he gives up…

July 29, 2013, 8:30 p.m.

Background story?

First thought I had.

From the media when I briefly looked today. His family moved here from Syria 5 years ago. So there has to be more behind this. And it doesn't help that the Toronto media is busy spinning this into what will sell newspapers.

Reality is while not defending the cops but there really isn't enough info to go on to make an informed decision. Other then a Youtube video that is only a small part of this tragedy. So while it is easy to make a emotional outrage post like the majority here. Let us wait to see what else there is.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

July 29, 2013, 8:49 p.m.

^^^
I agree with Enduramil and Farmer on this one … these people are trained to draw their weapon for one purpose alone - to apply deadly force. Nobody is trained in the use of a firearm to "wing" or "injure" someone - this is what instructors want to see when a firearm is used:

Fire is directed accurately at the target's centre of mass from as close range as possible. Flying bullets are dangerous mmmmkay? Shooting at anything but the centre of mass also will endager others in the vicinity.

It has been summed up as "Not everyone you shoot will die … It will be extremely difficult to shoot accurately under stress, under low-light conditions or on the move, whether you’re moving or the suspect is. Shoot at the largest target, the chest, center mass. Shoot to stop the threat—and keep shooting until the threat stops.”

With that said, can't say if something went terribly wrong, or the cop was just reacting in the way they are trained to react under the circumstances.

July 29, 2013, 8:52 p.m.

i once asked my father inlaw the same ?? as he was a 25yr vet with Vancouver he said i,m not trained to wound i,m trained to kill when put in that position when one needs to draw their firearm

#northsidetrailbuilders

July 29, 2013, 9:32 p.m.

^^^
I agree with Enduramil and Farmer on this one … these people are trained to draw their weapon for one purpose alone - to apply deadly force. Nobody is trained in the use of a firearm to "wing" or "injure" someone - this is what instructors want to see when a firearm is used:

Only people who are trained to the level of accuracy that "winging" or "injure" aren't street cops. Those are the guy's at places like Hereford who fire thousands of rounds a day and train to shoot small targets. That is all they train for and they are highly skilled for those scenarios.

Downside to the training and continous to maintain that level of accuracy is that it doesn't leave alot of time to walk a beat like cops do. So as the SAS Special Projects Team for example, they act as basically a QRF. Train and wait for the call when their skills are needed.

So this brings up the question…was the ETF called or not?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

July 29, 2013, 9:59 p.m.

From the video, I couldn't tell what the guy did that finally caused the cops to fire at him. I could tell he had a knife, was holding it in a threatening manor in the moments leading up to the shooting, and had an armed police officer making it extraordinarily clear what would happen to him if he took one stem towards them, and refused to even try and cooperate when surrounded by multiple armed police officers.

Seems like suicide by police officer to me. We don't have enough info from just this video to know for sure, but I would be willing to bet a good chunk of money that avoiding overtime was the very last thing on that Mountie's mind when he was forced to open fire.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

July 29, 2013, 10:32 p.m.

I would be willing to bet a good chunk of money that avoiding overtime was the very last thing on that Mountie's mind when he was forced to open fire.

Perhaps. I suppose it's more likely that he thought "Holy shit, this dude with a little knife is about to launch 15 feet, possibly through a glass windshield, right at me!"

I agree that more information is needed, but we're not likely to get it.

iforonewelcome.com