Syria

Feb. 12, 2012, 9:48 a.m.

i believe that Go-t

but i still dont think the west's involvement has anything to do with humanity..

The West's opposition to the Assad regime is based a lot on the fact that Syria's politics is a remnant of Soviet/Russian Cold War alliances. To argue that the West is ignorant of the consequences of regime change is naive. Pretty much everyone knows the most probable immediate outcome for "people power"/"democracy" in the Arab world is the creation of new anti-Western Islamist states founded on religious populism. However, unless these states can deliver safety and economic prosperity, peace and stability is a long ways off.

Feb. 12, 2012, 10:47 a.m.

The West's opposition to the Assad regime is based a lot on the fact that Syria's politics is a remnant of Soviet/Russian Cold War alliances. To argue that the West is ignorant of the consequences of regime change is naive. Pretty much everyone knows the most probable immediate outcome for "people power"/"democracy" in the Arab world is the creation of new anti-Western Islamist states founded on religious populism. However, unless these states can deliver safety and economic prosperity, peace and stability is a long ways off.

Yes, probable - but not every voter, every grown-up in the Arab world and the neighboring countries is a foreigner hating djihadist who wants to blow up the world.

There is a saying among muslims - "The problem is that the terrorists are too loud, even if they are only a few."

Islam as a culture is in desperate need of what we had in the Age of Reason and Enlightenment, too bad first the Czar, then the Communists destroyed of what was slowly emerging at the end of the 19, beginning of the 20.century.

And if I remember correctly, the Dean of the University of Cairo made a statement about Islam and terrorism as well. Ahhh, whatever, not really able to put forth something worthwhile.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 12, 2012, 11:04 a.m.

i believe that Go-t

but i still dont think the west's involvement has anything to do with humanity..

Russia showing Ashat support again…
http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-east/russia-accuses-west-of-stoking-syria-conflict-by-arming-rebels-1.412256

kinda scary

I don't think that American interests are humanitarian either, that would be naive. I also highly doubt that there are western foreign interests acting on the ground, currently. These protests are indeed organic, and while a regime change in Syria can mean instability for us… it may also mean a better world for them.

Feb. 12, 2012, noon

Is China actually concerned? Or are they looking at this as a oppurtunity to expand their sphere of influence ?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 12, 2012, 12:48 p.m.

I think that the civilians of Greece and the civilians of Syria should trade places for a little while……

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 12, 2012, 1:40 p.m.

Islam as a culture is in desperate need of what we had in the Age of Reason and Enlightenment, too bad first the Czar, then the Communists destroyed of what was slowly emerging at the end of the 19, beginning of the 20.century.

Islam's age of reason and enlightenment was 1000 years ago … it looks like America's age of enlightenment will be a thing of the past too, with the increasing influence of its own theocracy (see all potential presidential candidates - including Obama - who all profess strong religious convictions). These things come and go.

Syria is probably going to become the new proxy (joining Iraq) for the 1000-year ideological war between Sunni and Shia branches of Islam, with East and West taking sides. On the Sunni side are the Arab Gulf States and their economic and ideological allies (paradoxically including the US, NATO, Al Qeda and the Taliban) and on the Shia side are Iran (which is neither culturally nor ethnically nor linguistically Arab), Syria's ruling Alawiite minority and Lebanon's Hezbollah.

Is China actually concerned? Or are they looking at this as a oppurtunity to expand their sphere of influence ?

China is purely practical - so long as the wheels of business keep turning, they are just as happy to change or keep things as they are.

Feb. 12, 2012, 3:54 p.m.

China is purely practical - so long as the wheels of business keep turning, they are just as happy to change or keep things as they are.

As long as the revenue stream is good they are good.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 12, 2012, 9:31 p.m.

I think they're only concerned as long as they have access to 20% of their oil imports. Thats the figure they get from Iran so I'd wager they're looking at this from the angle of any more instability in this region would be unfavorable for their own econony. I also think they [HTML_REMOVED] Russia both realize that this is the US making a play for oil.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Feb. 13, 2012, 9:18 p.m.

Embargo Bahrain! Impose no "fly zone"! Send in the drones! Bugger the Emir with Bowie knife!

Inculcates…….. :rolleyes:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 13, 2012, 9:43 p.m.

Embargo Bahrain! Impose no "fly zone"! Send in the drones! Bugger the Emir with Bowie knife!

Inculcates…….. :rolleyes:

Thread about Syria. Post conspiracy news article about Bahrain. You make lots of sense all the time.

Feb. 13, 2012, 9:51 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkJ79iV4T70

http://witnessbahrain.org/

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 13, 2012, 9:53 p.m.

Thread about Syria. Post conspiracy news article about Bahrain. You make lots of sense all the time.

So you're sayin' don't raise issues with regimes compliant to the US.

Figures. Inculcate.

Feb. 13, 2012, 11:17 p.m.

So you're sayin' don't raise issues with regimes compliant to the US.

Figures. Inculcate.

Nothing you wrote there is a coherent thought or sentence. We can't all see inside your crazy mind.

Feb. 14, 2012, 11:25 a.m.

"So just to recap; United States President Barack Obama told Syria's President Bashar al-Assad to "step aside and allow a democratic transition to proceed immediately" while King Hamad al-Khalifa gets new toys to crack down on his subversively pro-democratic subjects."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/14/bahrain-military-equipment-uk/print

Feb. 14, 2012, 12:33 p.m.

"So just to recap; United States President Barack Obama told Syria's President Bashar al-Assad to "step aside and allow a democratic transition to proceed immediately" while King Hamad al-Khalifa gets new toys to crack down on his subversively pro-democratic subjects."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/14/bahrain-military-equipment-uk/print

You win. Bahrain is WAAAYYY worse than Syria. The police use tear gas and stun grenades. 4 people reportedly died after clashes with police last year.

Other things that we as Canadians can't get our heads around: The Head of State is a Monarch, and the upper house of Parliament is APPOINTED! So life there must just be terrible.

You might be disappointed to learn too that only the lower house of Parliament (with elected, sitting women MPs) is elected. Non-muslims can worship freely and buy and drink alcohol in Bahrain.

Bahrain's top diplomat in the United States (ambassador) is Jewish-Bahraini - and a woman. So yeah, you have hit the very low-hanging fruit that is terrible, terrible country here. Syria is light years away as to being a progressive, democratic and tolerant country.