Russia

Feb. 24, 2022, 8:29 a.m.

Here's a country I'd like to be part of...

_Russian authorities have told citizens not to participate in anti-war protests, the country’s Investigative Committee warned in a statement on Thursday. _

“In connection with the spread of calls for participation in riots and rallies related to the tense foreign policy situation,” the committee statement warned against the “negative legal consequences of these actions, which include prosecution and up to criminal liability.”

“It should be remembered that holding a criminal record holds negative consequences and leaves a mark on the person’s future,” the Investigative Committee added.

Feb. 24, 2022, 9:05 a.m.

Can't we just get along? Ukraine is not going to be able to put up much of a fight.

Feb. 24, 2022, 9:15 a.m.

Posted by: Mic

Posted by: tungsten

You believe the US/British arming the jihadis to the teeth didn't exacerbate the situation? Wow indeed....

In the beginning, it was NOT jihadis, tbh. In the beginning of the conflict the situation was different, long before IS and other crackheads started to fill the local power vacuums. Oh well, it seems that you do not have an issue with Russia declaring war and invading a country like Ukraine, and it seems as if you give the fault for the Syrian civil war solely to the Western states and their actions.

I wonder what you say about Russia's interfering and mingling in Syria with Wagner mercenaries for example, but this would then turn into a silly game of tennis which I do not think is of value for you or me. I have the impression that you are hellbent on "being right" when it comes to Russia and their imperialism/nationalism that is currently invading a sovereign country, I guess, so be.

So the Syrian conflict was something which will become more frequent, a climate change war. Drought forced agricultural communities off the land and into the cities were ethnic/cultural differences created friction which broke out into protests to which Assad responded to with brutality typical of middle-eastern rulers. Even one like Assad democratically elected and enjoying the support of the majority of the population at the time.

The "west" then flooded the country with arms, mercenaries and whatever else they thought would destabilize the country enough to bring Assad down and install a dictator amenable to their wishes - the primary one being to deny Russia use of its naval facillity at Tartus.

Plus Syria was one of the ME countries on amerikkkas hit list along with Lybia, Iraq, and Iran.

So what Russia had/has mercenaires in Syria? amerikkka has uniformed troops illegally squatting on Syria's oil fields right now, today, holding them hostage so boo fucking hoo.

Last edited by: tungsten on Feb. 24, 2022, 9:23 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 24, 2022, 9:43 a.m.

Oh look, Tungsten is defending Russia using Putin's words.  Shocker!

Feb. 24, 2022, 9:53 a.m.

Where?

Feb. 24, 2022, 10:32 a.m.

Where?

Everywhere.  Putin is claiming that he is ridding Kyiv of Nazis.  Where have I heard those alarm bells before?

Feb. 24, 2022, 12:17 p.m.

Spicoli?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/sean-penn-ukraine-new-york-facebook-kiev-b2022793.html

Feb. 24, 2022, 1:55 p.m.

Love him or hate him, you can't deny his big brass balls.

Feb. 24, 2022, 4:32 p.m.

War will be over soon.  This dipshit has it sorted

https://twitter.com/IAMannalynnemcc/status/1496877541772062727?s=20&t=uAHWEHRPN7Wdk6hnMZmz1w

Feb. 25, 2022, 2:30 a.m.

[...]

But suggesting that I, by holding a countervailing view as to who or what is responsible for current events somehow makes me pro war or getting satisfaction from the death that accompanies it is a disgusting new low for these boards. And for you.

In all honesty, the last few pages you have given more than enough links and quotes and personal statements that you "understand" Russia's perspective that it is not that much of a stretch. "Evil West vs poor Russia" was more or less the very simplified dictum of your replies.

Feb. 25, 2022, 9:36 a.m.

Fuck this is so horrible. Layed awake last night thinking about how terrified the kids and their families are in Ukraine right now listening to approaching explosions, waiting for the Russian Army to roll over them.

Russia targeted civilians in Syria and it looks like they're doing it again. Amnesty International says Russia is launching indiscriminate attacks on civilian areas.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2022/01/further-armed-conflict-in-ukraine-would-have-devastating-consequences-for-the-human-rights-of-millions/

https://www.npr.org/live-updates/russia-invades-ukraine-news-friday#amnesty-international-says-russia-launched-indiscriminate-attacks-on-civilian-areas

Last edited by: Hepcat on Feb. 25, 2022, 9:38 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 25, 2022, 10:06 a.m.

what's funny (well not really) is that Trump thinks Putin is doing a great job...  how many yanks support Trump?  I'm sure Shogun also support this.

Feb. 25, 2022, 10:08 a.m.

Trumps first (lol) impeachment was for witholding aid to Ukraine..

Feb. 25, 2022, 11:11 a.m.

I think this could signal the end of the Putin kleptocracy. I don't think the Russian economy can withstand the kind of sanctions that are coming his way AND a long protracted conflict and I think if Putin isn't careful, he's going to wind up hiding from his own people in a drain pipe somewhere in a few years.

Last edited by: Schnickelfritz on Feb. 25, 2022, 11:13 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 25, 2022, 12:56 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Fuck this is so horrible. Layed awake last night thinking about how terrified the kids and their families are in Ukraine right now listening to approaching explosions, waiting for the Russian Army to roll over them.

There was some heartbreaking video on Reddit of men saying goodbye to their families as they got on evacuation trains while the men stayed to fight.

I don't generally get too worked up about world events, but this seems like it could be the start of something much worse.

Last edited by: PaulB on Feb. 25, 2022, 12:57 p.m., edited 1 time in total.