MBR: (Motor Bike Related)

Sept. 20, 2011, 11:37 p.m.

not enough thumbs up in this thread.

"Fullness of knowledge always means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance; and that is always conducive to humility and reverence." - Robert Millikan

Sept. 21, 2011, 6:39 a.m.

Pete! Let's go fer a ride damnit.

Sept. 21, 2011, 7:24 a.m.

Pete! Let's go fer a ride damnit.

For Pete's Sake!

Sept. 21, 2011, 9:50 a.m.

Vedder is great a huge amount of trails to explore but it gets greasy in the wet.

Some great easy riding at the tailings pond, bit more options for beginners there.

Once you feel confident the lower trails at mcnutt are great

That said kamloops is the most fun you can have as an intermediate, its so worth the trip

Where's Tailings Pond?

Sept. 21, 2011, 9:58 a.m.

Where's Tailings Pond?

past hope on the number 1 about 10kms

its also known as nicklemine and the road you turn on is nicklemine road.

directions here http://www.fvdra.com/maps_and_gps_2010.html

Sept. 21, 2011, 5:34 p.m.

past hope on the number 1 about 10kms

its also known as nicklemine and the road you turn on is nicklemine road.

directions here http://www.fvdra.com/maps_and_gps_2010.html

Cool think we'll try that out this weekend or next
Thanks Rat

Sept. 21, 2011, 7:50 p.m.

I'm not feeling the dirtbike. I've been working too much so on the couple days off I'm lazy and don't want to load up the truck so I just hop on the street bike and go for some corners.

Sept. 21, 2011, 8:10 p.m.

Did you buy a street bike?

Sept. 28, 2011, 11:50 a.m.

DBone is pretty high qual, just don't look down. Do the big figure 8 out of Lake Creek campground- up North Tommy, around Klone, back down Middle Tommy then up Lake Creek, up Angle Peak and then back down Lake Creek. Perhaps a lap of Duncan Hill will suit too? 130 switchbacks up you go!

Then, come back down next year for some Gifford Pinchot action.

Not looking good for Sunday Matt. Unless a miracle happens.

Sorry you couldn't make it Ned, great riding all three days.

Map of the area found here.

Day 1 - Approx 100km
Edit: added profile from day 1

Rode Lake Creek trail (1443) to 1265. The connector trail to Snowberry campsite was blocked off with deadfall, so were forced onto the road for a few kms. Then Snowberry to Pot Peak, up the Devil's Backbone (1448 ) to Stormy Mtn (huge elevation gain, outstanding views). Then back down the DB and over to Angle Peak.

At this point Matt was suffering from leg cramps, so he took the green trail back down, and I took the blue (1444). The latter started with a few tight switchbacks, then about 8 miles of unbeliveably fast, fun, descending (think Rio style - Kamloops).

The trails were thin and very sandy for the most part. In the thick trees it was more loamy. Very, very little water anywhere.

Tree down on the 1265 trail. Bigger than it looks, cutting was not an option. Took both of us to lift each bike over without tumbling down the steep slope to the right.

View from the high point of the day - Stormy Mtn

What we named the "Erzberg section", on the way to Angle Peak. Nasty rockfall area followed by a heinous climb of uber-tight [HTML_REMOVED] steep switchbacks up an impossible looking mountain side. Can't recall how many times I was saying to myself "We're going where???"

Day 2 - Approx 90km
Switched to the West side of the main road.

Profile of the day

Short access trail to base of the Tommy Creek trail (1424), then FSR to the Klone peak trail (1425) - or is it Tommy Creek North?. Next a series of short trails over to Minnow Ridge (1524), 1548, then up the big climb of Alder Ridge (1523). Finally snake over to the top of Tommy Creek trail (aka Middle TC?) and a huge descent to the campsite.

View from Klone Peak

Viewpoint on the Alder Ridge climb

Day 3 - Approx 35km
Short day today, as this was our departure day :(
Profile of the day

Up Tommy Creek South (1423) - most technically challenging trail of the weekend. Approx 45 minutes of straight-up climbing over 7km. We then wandered around the trails up top for an hour or so before descending Middle TC to the campsite.

First class signage on almost all the trails.

Riding in the meadows of the Mad River trail (1409.1). These blocks were everywhere. Mostly on tight switchbacks to prevent erosion, but also in sensitive or boggy areas. It made some of the climbs almost too easy, but at least 5 years from now it will be the same climb as it was now.

In all it was a great three days of riding. If you're looking to throw down huge miles of singletrack via blue/black trails, this is a great place to spend some time. The drive is a bit much from Van for a short weekend, so make sure you have at least 3 days, including 2 full days of riding.

Sept. 28, 2011, 12:17 p.m.

hmmm I have a 4 day weekend in Leavenworth planned…

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Sept. 28, 2011, 3:10 p.m.

Nice job fella's, you had a good chow session from the Cascade range's Horn o' Plenty. BTW, that talus field is the Chik Tie and yes, just about everyone calls it a mini Erzburg. I took a n00ber buddy down that… he called it the ManMaker :lol:

Ride More Bitch Less

Sept. 28, 2011, 4:22 p.m.

what a study of contrasts. Why can't they lay a couple bricks into that scree field?

I'm utterly shocked at the bricks layed out in a field. Are you sure that picture isn't steeper than it looks?

Sept. 28, 2011, 4:43 p.m.

Nicely done Chunky!! Looks like a great place to ride.

Sept. 28, 2011, 5:11 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2571581]hmmm I have a 4 day weekend in Leavenworth planned…[/QUOTE]
Git'er done. You should have fun on the Minnow Ridge/Chikimin Cr section. Lots of flowy green [HTML_REMOVED] blue stuff there :)

Nice job fella's, you had a good chow session from the Cascade range's Horn o' Plenty. BTW, that talus field is the Chik Tie and yes, just about everyone calls it a mini Erzburg. I took a n00ber buddy down that… he called it the ManMaker :lol:

ManMaker? Or, it could take you the other way :cry:

what a study of contrasts. Why can't they lay a couple bricks into that scree field?

I'm utterly shocked at the bricks layed out in a field. Are you sure that picture isn't steeper than it looks?

Yes, the contrast was amazing.

The field was perfectly flat. It's kind of a big bowl up at the top, so I suspect that area gets a bit boggy after the snow melts. There were a couple of sections like that, but where the trail went up, it was 99% just on the uphill side of the switchback.

Sept. 28, 2011, 6:05 p.m.

Chunky that looked awesome!! nice one!

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona