Here we go again ... subprime stupidity

Feb. 2, 2015, 8:24 a.m.

Seriously ….

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/republicans-gutting-dodd-frank-as-wall-st-goes-subprime-again-1.2938552

Little by little, these influence-buyers are gutting and filleting the Dodd-Frank Act, the package of bank regulations that was among the few big accomplishments of the Obama administration during the two years when Democrats controlled Congress.

These lobbyists represent some of the same corporate villains whose greedy, in some cases criminal, machinations just about demolished the economy in 2008, tossing millions out of their jobs and impoverishing even thrifty and financially prudent citizens.

George W. Bush's decision to rescue them with taxpayers' money (while letting thousands of smaller companies sink) was what ignited the hot outrage and sudden growth of the Tea Party.

That cause was arguably as just and righteous as the revolt against taxation without representation, the original American grievance from which the Tea Partiers took their name.

Pretty quickly, though, America's more right-wing conservatives seemed to forgive Wall Street.

Banks are the manifestation of capitalism, after all. Sure, they might have gone a little too far but in Republican doctrine they are "job creators" (a rather ironic term for the people behind the 2008 meltdown).

They are also big donors to politicians.

And now, just seven years after so many people nearly lost everything, conservative lawmakers are hard at work dismantling those damned bothersome restrictions placed on banks to prevent a repeat of the great meltdown.

Late last year, Republicans refused to pass a larger spending bill unless the White House agreed to undo a section of Dodd-Frank that forced banks to move their risky derivative trades to units that don't enjoy taxpayer backing.

(Banks love taxpayer backing, as they demonstrated so spectacularly in 2008.)

Then, when Congress reconvened this year under full Republican control, the very first order of business was once again the banks.

This time, the aim is to let the big, federally insured banks increase their risk profiles. Super idea, that one.

The idea, clearly, is to get rid of all this Dodd-Frank stuff entirely, particularly the so-called Volcker rule, the law's centerpiece.

It basically forbids banks to play risky games with their own cash reserves, which the banks are required to maintain in case things go sideways again.

Think they won't? Well, Wall Street has already dived back into the stinking ooze of subprime lending, the financial weapon of mass destruction that blew up in 2008.

Attorney General Eric Holder, left, and U.S. Attorney John Walsh from Colorado at an announcement in July that Citigroup will pay $7 billion to settle an investigation into risky subprime mortgages, the type that helped fuel the financial crisis.

This time, it's car loans.

First, auto lenders, including some of the big car companies, seek out consumers with poor credit ratings who need transportation.

Then they offer them car loans with interest rates of 25 or even 35 per cent. Loan sharks call that "the vig." Banks call it "high return."

Then, up the food chain, lending institutions package up a few million of these sketchy loans, forming them into securitized debt while "slicing and dicing" them, which theoretically spreads the risk thinner, earning a good safety rating from the big ratings agencies.

They then offer this securitized debt to big investors worldwide who are hungry for high return.

Any of this sound familiar? It should.

It is exactly what the banks did with subprime mortgages back in the early part of the last decade.

The New York Times reported recently that these securitized subprime auto loans have grown some 300 per cent since 2010, to somewhere in excess of $20 billion.

Now, car loans are not mortgages, but you can see where the banks want to head again if they can finagle it. Backed up, of course, by the security of a government bailout if needed.

That has to be part of the deal. In fact, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the government-backed mortgage giants, have gone back to approving down payments as low as three per cent.

The post-meltdown concept of lenders requiring borrowers to have substantial "skin in the game" is also apparently passé.

You can expect to hear a lot more about this.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Feb. 2, 2015, 3:18 p.m.

Only in America, and possibly Canada

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/car-buyers-say-dealerships-duped-them-over-td-s-costly-loans-1.2489309

Feb. 2, 2015, 4:02 p.m.

Dear Mr Bank,

I would like you to lone me cash for an amphibious RV so I can take my family to Hawaii.

Sincerely,

I'm good for it

Feb. 2, 2015, 4:09 p.m.

Dear Mr Bank,

I would like you to lone me cash for an amphibious RV so I can take my family to Hawaii.

Sincerely,

I'm good for it

Dear Chupacabra,

We would be happy to lend you the money, at a 25% interest rate that compounds daily, amortised over a period of 20 years. The net result will be a cumulative payment of 3x the value of your recreation vehicle. The loan will be secured by the asset in question as well all of your other belonging, which includes but is not limited to your primary resident, any vacation or secondary residences, retirement savings, and other physical assets.

yours truly,
Mr Bank

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Feb. 2, 2015, 4:20 p.m.

These people were poor credit risks and NOT the sharpest knives in the drawer but still this should not be allowed to happen

Feb. 2, 2015, 4:42 p.m.

Loan sharks or car dealers?

Feb. 2, 2015, 5:12 p.m.

I blame rich people

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Feb. 2, 2015, 5:15 p.m.

Can't count the # of ways car are bankrupting society. Greatest PR sham ever!! http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/01/27/debunking-the-myth-of-the-american-love-affair-with-cars/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSMBA member.

Feb. 2, 2015, 5:44 p.m.

"But only one age bracket, consumers 55-64, shows more interest now than in 2007"
http://www.citylab.com/commute/2015/02/urbanization-and-smartphones-are-killing-car-culture/385093/?utm_source=SFTwitter

Who are these risky loans for???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSMBA member.

Feb. 2, 2015, 5:44 p.m.

I blame rich people

No wonder the 99% keep getting poorer. Need to learn how to hold onto your cash, not give it up to the 1%.

Feb. 2, 2015, 5:46 p.m.

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2015/02/urbanization-and-smartphones-are-killing-car-culture/385093/?utm_source=SFTwitter

"number of vehicles per driver has fallen from a peak of 1.2 in 2007 to 1.15 today"

How is that the end of car culture?!?!?

Feb. 2, 2015, 8 p.m.

These people were poor credit risks and NOT the sharpest knives in the drawer but still this should not be allowed to happen

Um, they was targeted.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 2, 2015, 9:19 p.m.

If you or I tried to get credit to buy a car the finance guy would send it out on the WWW and some bank would pick us up right away, I got approved for a great rate on a new car in 2hrs, but these people couldn't get credit cuz they fucked up at some point and then they don't read the fine print which is more fucking up … so yeah target the low hanging fruit,

Feb. 2, 2015, 9:26 p.m.

Slightly disappointed this isn't about how all the mortgage brokers and real estate agents were telling people to get into the market as soon as BOC knocked a point off the interest rate

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 3, 2015, 7:47 a.m.

If you or I tried to get credit to buy a car the finance guy would send it out on the WWW and some bank would pick us up right away,

It was pretty frightening how easy it was to get a $8k "0%" Home Depot card. 5 minutes, drivers licence and a form that said, yes I have a job.

29% annual rate if you don't pay it off in full by 6 months and make every minimum monthly payment on time.