GMAT and MBA Advice

Aug. 14, 2010, 2:53 p.m.

Hey NSMB'ers, just thought I'd ask anyone who has written their GMAT or done their MBA for advice and tips.

I'm currently using the supplied GMATPrep materials I received after I registered to write it, how good are these materials and how relevant are they to the actual test I'll do? Any other materials you'd recommend?

Also, any good places for free practice math problems? (quadratic equations, factoring, etc.)

And anyone who has their MBA, what would you recommend I look for when choosing a school?

Thanks.

"Fullness of knowledge always means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance; and that is always conducive to humility and reverence." - Robert Millikan

Aug. 14, 2010, 5:29 p.m.

The supplied prep tests are pretty good and they're the same ones that most prep courses will give you. Find as many as you can and practice like a man possessed. Veritas is the best, and most expensive, prep course out there but you can find a lot of their tips and strategies online if you search. Don't psyche yourself out for the test either. My undergrad GPA wasn't that great so I studied my balls off for the GMAT and went on to bomb it because I psyched myself out. Took it two months later without studying and I killed it. So being relaxed for the test is really important. At least for me it was.

If you want to get recruited into a corporate job then getting into a top tier school is important. Almost mandatory. If you're after a skill set then look for the school that seems strong in the filed you want to get into. Then talk to alumni that will give you an honest opinion about the curriculum. Don't believe the hype!

In summary, go to Harvard Business School.

Aug. 14, 2010, 6:14 p.m.

Jeff you'd fit right in at harvard.

Aug. 16, 2010, 3:21 p.m.

Manhattan gmat.

Harvard is good. Failing that, go to Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, Tuck, MIT, Chicago, Kellogg, LBS or Insead.

My photos | Green Avocado

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.

Guns kill people just like pens cause spelling mistakes, cars create drunk drivers and spoons create fat people.

PM me to learn how to use credit card bonuses to fly for free.

Aug. 16, 2010, 3:34 p.m.

MBA? Who needs it when you can get rich in real estate!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K853GykeGH0

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Aug. 16, 2010, 3:36 p.m.

Harvard is good. Failing that, go to Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, Tuck, MIT, Chicago, Kellogg, LBS or Insead.

It's a good list although Harvard shouldn't be your automatic first choice. You should definitely do some serious soul searching about where you want to end up and why, the type of school culture you want to be immersed in for 1-2 years, the level of internationalism you want in your program, whether you're happy in a big city (Columbia, LBS, etc.) or the sticks (Tuck, Insead, etc.), and more. But the bottom line is that if you go to a top tier school and use the program as a way to actually increase your value (as opposed to just get three letters) you'll do just fine in the end.

Aug. 16, 2010, 3:56 p.m.

Sprott-Shaw is a great place to start, the people are nice and the instructors are very friendly!

viperfunk.com

Aug. 16, 2010, 4:32 p.m.

It's a good list although Harvard shouldn't be your automatic first choice. You should definitely do some serious soul searching about where you want to end up and why, the type of school culture you want to be immersed in for 1-2 years, the level of internationalism you want in your program, whether you're happy in a big city (Columbia, LBS, etc.) or the sticks (Tuck, Insead, etc.), and more. But the bottom line is that if you go to a top tier school and use the program as a way to actually increase your value (as opposed to just get three letters) you'll do just fine in the end.

I was being facetious.

Also, how is INSEAD in the sticks? You study in singapore and paris.

My photos | Green Avocado

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.

Guns kill people just like pens cause spelling mistakes, cars create drunk drivers and spoons create fat people.

PM me to learn how to use credit card bonuses to fly for free.

Aug. 16, 2010, 5:51 p.m.

Also, how is INSEAD in the sticks? You study in singapore and paris.

I forgot about the Singapore campus. But Fontainebleau is definitely not Paris. And my friends who have gone there definitely say it's a bit isolating out there. Still a good school though.

Aug. 16, 2010, 9:26 p.m.

LSE is the bestest.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 16, 2010, 10:02 p.m.

anyone have any experience with the Athabasca University MBA?

Aug. 17, 2010, 8:27 a.m.

An MBA is a commodity and employers will judge you partially on which school you went to.
Doing everything you can to get into a top tier school will do more for you financially than getting a UBC MBA and putting in 10 years of middle managment hoping to move up. (As told to me by my next door neighbour, a UBC MBA grad and overpaid government consultant).
FYI, U of Chicago's school of business typically outranks Harvard.

Aug. 17, 2010, 9:07 a.m.

FYI, U of Chicago's school of business typically outranks Harvard.

That said, the economic theories espoused by the Chicago SOB (ha!) are pretty much the cause of most of the misery in the world today.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 17, 2010, 9:14 a.m.

I have taken it and didn't do stellar and then decided I didn't really want to do a combined degree anyways so I didn't try again. I will say the nice thing about the gmat is that the time allocated per question is a lot more than you get on the lsat. As was said before, the more times you write practice exams the easier it gets. The non-math question really just follow a pattern that once you can indentify become a whole lot easier to answer. If you are ambitious and want a challenge try writing some lsat logical reasoning and reading comprehension questions. Based on my experience and some other people I have talked to that have done both, they are harder on the lsat. The two written components, provided you didn't fail english 12 are a joke. You can just make facts up to support your arguments. I know nothing about business schools so I won't weigh in on that one

Aug. 17, 2010, 9:19 a.m.

That said, the economic theories espoused by the Chicago SOB (ha!) are pretty much the cause of most of the misery in the world today.

Kn.

This ^.

Their economics department is notoriously ruthless and generally chalk full of as*hats as well.