From space, BC looks like it has smallpox

March 20, 2011, 11:09 a.m.

I'd never looked at the area of PG from Google Earth or similar before, but from space the logging operations make it look like BC has smallpox:

http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8[HTML_REMOVED]ll=54.091617,-123.620911[HTML_REMOVED]spn=1.543232,5.273437[HTML_REMOVED]t=h[HTML_REMOVED]z=9

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

March 20, 2011, 5:07 p.m.

Anyone know how old the images are on Google? I checked out one of my riding areas [HTML_REMOVED] there are a ton of clearcuts missing (bug kill salvage). My guess, the images are 5-6 years old?

I just looked at my parents place in PG and they have been there 5 years now and the stuff they have had in their backyard since they moved in aren't there so its at least 5 years old.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

March 20, 2011, 5:16 p.m.

It varies from location to location. New York and Vancouver are updated once in a while. Baghdad, sooks and PG not as often

March 20, 2011, 6:53 p.m.

Nothing beats a fresh cut block! Warms my heart.
The photo for Ucluelet/Tofino area is 5 or so years old.

Hug a logger, you'll never go back to trees

March 20, 2011, 8:09 p.m.

Kamloops and the area was last done in '08. I can tell by the yard work I had going on at the time. ;)

March 21, 2011, 12:13 a.m.

Also for those who don't want to deduce the imagea date based on their neighbors pile of bricks/latest beat up pick up, theres a date in the bottom corner on google earth which varies area to area

March 21, 2011, 4:33 a.m.

It is cool!

March 21, 2011, 8:25 a.m.

Mmmmm clearcuts, great habitat for all the innocent animals I like to eat.

Trucks and Guns.

March 21, 2011, 2:21 p.m.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with cutting down tress as long as there's re-planting done afterwards. The province would be wise to strictly enforce forestry management in BC. It's in everyone's interests that it's done. As far as BC's economy is concerned…raw log exports should be banned.

Thread killer

March 21, 2011, 2:23 p.m.

raw log exports should be banned.

why? so we can't sell any wood whatsoever?

March 21, 2011, 8:44 p.m.

The patchouli is strong in this thread.

And BMW…the pine beetle is into the juveniles you and your friends planted in the early 90's…..that wasn't supposed to happen,was it?

They're also getting into the spruce(I know…wtf?!?)

Whadda ya say we just leave it standing to rot so it has no value whatsoever except for the forest fire protection branch?

Pastor of Muppets

March 21, 2011, 9:22 p.m.

the pine beetle is into the juveniles you and your friends planted in the early 90's

years ago I worked with a foreman who had planted a road side piece in his rookie year. he was 10 years deep when I started planting. every year we drove past it he would point it out to the young planters and tell them all what a great planter he was or some shit like that. then about four or five years ago I was up there doing a cameo show and the pine beetle had killed every tree on that block. I laughed pretty hard.

about 9 years ago I was up on the plateau and I was no longer planting to tree lines. it was just one cut block to another. didnt make the news the same way the bowron did, justified via fear mongering. lot of big fir and spruce stumps in lots of those blocks. then the mills started to close and every one acted like they did not see it coming.

there a thread in there about newfies commenting on resource management, hippies and appropriate screen names. ;)

dont poke the wild life.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

March 21, 2011, 9:29 p.m.

Just reporting the news (almost) live from the bush…..Williston lake to be exact.

Pastor of Muppets

March 21, 2011, 9:45 p.m.

The patchouli is strong in this thread.

And BMW…the pine beetle is into the juveniles you and your friends planted in the early 90's…..that wasn't supposed to happen,was it?

They're also getting into the spruce(I know…wtf?!?)

Whadda ya say we just leave it standing to rot so it has no value whatsoever except for the forest fire protection branch?

beetle has pretty much run its course… question is whether or not it goes east and where it goes with climate change. as far as i know mountain pine beetle isn't significantly impacting the spruce - spruce has its own selection of bark beetles eating the shit out of it

just wait 15 years when all the grey attack falls and burns.

good bye central BC

March 21, 2011, 10:54 p.m.

beetle has pretty much run its course… question is whether or not it goes east and where it goes with climate change. as far as i know mountain pine beetle isn't significantly impacting the spruce - spruce has its own selection of bark beetles eating the shit out of it

just wait 15 years when all the grey attack falls and burns.

good bye central BC

maybe not so much:

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20100910/pine-forests-100912/

or specifically:

The major effect of mountain pine beetle outbreak on forest fuels was to reduce canopy bulk density by half compared to undisturbed stands. As a result, the probability of active crown
fire was predicted to decrease for at least 35 years after disturbance. Twenty-five to 35 years after the outbreak, growth of surviving understory trees increased the vertical continuity of fuels between the ground and the tree crowns, and the model predicted an increase in the probability of passive crown fire…These results suggestthat bark beetle outbreaks do not amplify subsequent fire activity in these forests and that postdisturbancemanagement aimed at reducing the likelihood of active crown fire may not beneeded.

from: http://landscape.zoology.wisc.edu/People/Simard/Simard_PhDdisab.pdf

www.travelswithtyler.com