Coffee

Jan. 17, 2012, 5:23 p.m.

You might want to check out these guys: www.milanocoffee.ca . The roasting facility is on west 8th, and there are numerous options for drip and espresso (5 authentic itallian espresso blends….i recommend Futura or Lucky 13. Ask for them out of the Scharf machine). No offense but jj and timmies don't qualify for me….neither does starbucks.

If you want to taste a true master blenders creations go there and if Brian the owner (and master roaster, blender) is present, he is a wealth of knowledge about everything coffee and can assist you with any questions you have.

I drink 3 cups in the morning and 2-3 espressos daily and this place is it. no contest.

tw

Jan. 17, 2012, 5:30 p.m.

Interesting thread. I gave up my flat white every morning when I moved here - my coffee gear was 240v - and have been suffering one of those Keurig pod brewing machines at work (not the worst I guess). I didn't realise JJ Bean was a good coffee destination and will check them out. But I think I will be looking for a nice espresso machine and grinder at some point.

And WTF is with this half and half? I don't even know what that stuff is. What's wrong with milk?

Cheers, Ben

Jan. 17, 2012, 5:41 p.m.

all suggestions good.. I enjoy an espresso and use this device a lot. Works a treat and is portable.. Makes great espresso..

www.handpresso.com

MEC stocks them in Canada, same price in Can$ as Euros…

Jan. 17, 2012, 6:11 p.m.

We use French Press and the cheapest decent quality beans at the local market ([HTML_REMOVED]$10 per package). Recently we got a Costco membership and tried the Ethical Bean 900g for $17. Seems to be decent in the press.

A friend just gave me one of these bags of the Ethical Kenyan blend for a birthday present, surprisingly good and if I had a costco close by I'd switch from Oso Negro (which costs more than twice as much) in an instant.

for me it's 6 level scoops per 1 litre bodum of coffee, I prefer a fine grind which just makes the coffee a little darker and muddier. Cold tap water (mine is from a natural spring, so no treatment) boiled to just under a full boil. I've read that fully boiled water loses some oxygen and isn't as good for brewing coffee. Let steep for 5 minutes or so and enjoy with homogenized or half/half cream.

My bare minimum is a full litre in the morning, sometimes I'll brew another cup or two after if I'm feeling extra crusty

Jan. 17, 2012, 6:22 p.m.

And WTF is with this half and half?

half and half

Jan. 17, 2012, 7:39 p.m.

No offense but jj and timmies don't qualify for me….neither does starbucks.

JJ [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Starbucks [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] Timmies.

JJ is in a different class than the other two, for the benefit of the OP. i am curious to check out Milano now too.

Another point: burr grinder is needed to get a consistent grind, be it for a bodum or an espresso machine. minimum about $100 but worth it. drip makers are a bit less picky in this regard but in order to get your ratios nailed you need to be able to control the grind.

Jan. 17, 2012, 7:56 p.m.

I'm a fan of the Kicking Horse 454 Horsepower coffee beans and french press. Also I'm a fan of the Turkish coffee making style. It's damn good.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

Jan. 17, 2012, 7:56 p.m.

Tim Hortons fine grind

This is the problem. You want a good cup of coffee? Throw Timmy's the trash.

Jan. 17, 2012, 8:15 p.m.

I take it back.. Vietnamese coffee rules all.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Jan. 17, 2012, 8:15 p.m.

This is the problem. You want a good cup of coffee? Throw Timmy's the trash.

. . . .Quote:
Originally Posted by Kever

Tim Hortons fine grind

Lol. Do you add double double to the end of your order ?

Timmy's is running a flyer right now shaking things up (portion wise).
My question is … how much sugar in their new 24oz cup o' coffee (when someone orders a double double) ?

Jan. 17, 2012, 8:24 p.m.

My question is … how much sugar in their new 24oz cup o' coffee (when someone orders a double double) ?

Wait a tick… is double double a ratio, or a measurement? When I ask for two and two, I don't expect it to be extrapolated based on the size of coffee I order…

flickr

Jan. 17, 2012, 8:29 p.m.

Wait a tick… is double double a ratio, or a measurement? When I ask for two and two, I don't expect it to be extrapolated based on the size of coffee I order…

That's a good point. I've never ordered one but have been told they squirt something into the Joe when you order a regular, double double or yes, a triple triple.
It would only make sense that they would add a few more squirts to their new wine bottle size cup of Joe.

Jan. 17, 2012, 8:30 p.m.

I'm putting myself at the mercy of NBR coffee snobs. There's probably a lot I'm doing wrong but my coffee tastes like crap. Well, chlorine and plastic to be more specific. What am I doing wrong?

Tim Hortons fine grind
Drip coffee maker (cost $12), paper filters
Hot Tap water
Skim Milk
Berry White Sugar

I put quite a bit of coffee in the filter to make it strong.

How do you brew your perfect cup?

Fuck my mind, that sounds like a shitty cup of coffee. I'd rather lick the pavement outside the Gibsons Timmy Hoes.

Not sure if you live on the coast (Fresh Pow thread leads me to believe this), if you do, hit either Daily Roast in Sechelt or Straight Coffee in Wilson Creek for beans.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 17, 2012, 8:41 p.m.

Fuck my mind, that sounds like a shitty cup of coffee. I'd rather lick the pavement outside the Gibsons Timmy Hoes.

Not sure if you live on the coast (Fresh Pow thread leads me to believe this), if you do, hit either Daily Roast in Sechelt or Straight Coffee in Wilson Creek for beans.

Pretty much the worst coffee I've ever had. Hence this thread.

Plan of attack: JJ Bean on Brooksbank, French Press, Grinder, Pinch of Salt, Half and Half cream, try no sugar. Cheap drip machine is going to be shelved.

Jan. 17, 2012, 8:46 p.m.

Wait, if you have a french press then do you need the salt?