Coffee

Jan. 17, 2012, 3:32 p.m.

I'm putting myself at the mercy of NBR coffee snobs. There's probably a lot I'm doing wrong but my coffee tastes like crap. Well, chlorine and plastic to be more specific. What am I doing wrong?

Tim Hortons fine grind
Drip coffee maker (cost $12), paper filters
Hot Tap water
Skim Milk
Berry White Sugar

I put quite a bit of coffee in the filter to make it strong.

How do you brew your perfect cup?

Jan. 17, 2012, 3:33 p.m.

with a french press and good coffee beans.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 17, 2012, 3:39 p.m.

espresso machine, long pull, splash of milk

Jan. 17, 2012, 3:40 p.m.

you grind the beans yourself? what brands?

Jan. 17, 2012, 3:43 p.m.

local coffee shop roasts his own beans. he grinds em for me and my press.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 17, 2012, 3:44 p.m.

Right now I'm on JJ Bean's Christmas blend, but the Finca Alaska is awesome too.
Do this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B4n-iUW_wI

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Jan. 17, 2012, 3:45 p.m.

hot water??? no no no..

always cold filtered.

Chlorine will dissipate from the water in [HTML_REMOVED]24hrs too I believe.. We use a Brita jug in the fridge.. water tastes great.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Jan. 17, 2012, 3:49 p.m.

Jesus, you're doing it all wrong!

- Your coffee is not good. Go to JJ or other place with good stuff. Grind yourself.
- Unless you have an instant hot water dispenser, your water (from the regular tap, heated in a tank) is not hot enough. Also, you should not drink hot tap water in general, or use it for cooking. Unless it is from an instant hot water heater.
- You should rinse the paper filter first to get rid of paper/chlorine smell. Try unbleached ones.

You should be able to get decent results with a single-cup cone drip apparatus. Better coffee, hotter water, rinsed filter.

Then you can think about other fancier ways of doing it.

Oh, and just noticed you're using skim milk. There's no point in adding skim milk, it tastes like water. If you want some creaminess, you must use cream. half and half is good. And you don't need much of it, despite the preponderance of the disgusting "double double" phenomenon.

Jan. 17, 2012, 3:50 p.m.

Pitch Tim Horton beans. Buy freshly roasted beans in small quantities (not packed beans that have been sitting on a supermarket shelf). JJ Bean would be a good start.

Grind beans only as needed and before brewing. None of that timer crap.

Fill drip machine with cold water.

Drink coffee black. All that sh*t you add just covers up the taste of coffee.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 17, 2012, 3:53 p.m.

Jesus, you're doing it all wrong!

- Your coffee is not good. Go to JJ or other place with good stuff. Grind yourself.
- Unless you have an instant hot water dispenser, your water (from the regular tap, heated in a tank) is not hot enough. Also, you should not drink hot tap water in general, or use it for cooking. Unless it is from an instant hot water heater.
- You should rinse the paper filter first to get rid of paper/chlorine smell. Try unbleached ones.

You should be able to get decent results with a single-cup cone drip apparatus. Better coffee, hotter water, rinsed filter.

Then you can think about other fancier ways of doing it.

OK I'll try that. Still might buy a french press though. So JJ Bean is the collective favourite brand?

Jan. 17, 2012, 3:55 p.m.

Pitch Tim Horton beans. Buy freshly roasted beans in small quantities (not packed beans that have been sitting on a supermarket shelf). JJ Bean would be a good start.

Grind beans only as needed and before brewing. None of that timer crap.

Fill drip machine with cold water.

Drink coffee black. All that sh*t you add just covers up the taste of coffee.

How much should I grind for one cup of coffee?

Jan. 17, 2012, 3:56 p.m.

I got a bodum 1L french press, very happy with it costs a significant bit but I think its worth it in quality and longevity..
you need a pretty coarse grind for french press and only brew it for 3 minutes then plunge it and serve.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 17, 2012, 3:57 p.m.

How much should I grind for one cup of coffee?

i use 3 decent table spoons of grinds for 500Ml

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 17, 2012, 3:58 p.m.

Some good suggestions above.

1. ( Mostly) never ever use hot tap water for consuming
2. you mention Tim Horton's, you'll never get your home Tim's to taste like the drive thru…they use 18% cream
3. Sounds like your brewer is manufactured in China with non FDA plastic components -hence the plastic taste.

Jan. 17, 2012, 4:06 p.m.

you grind the beans yourself? what brands?

yeah, just a regular grinder, I use blackbird espresso from these guys most of the time http://www.creekmorescoffee.com/index.htm deliciously rich and strong and amazing