BC drought and water use (merged)

July 21, 2015, 12:35 a.m.

Thought this was an interesting stats page:

I just wanted to post in this very important thread.
\
Before \i go warsh me caR…..

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 21, 2015, 11:38 a.m.

I just wanted to post in this very important thread.
\
Before \i go warsh me caR…..

Please DO NOT - I REPEAT DO NOT- wasrsh your car unless its with Nestlé bottled water! Because that is the ONLY truly sustainable way to do it, since groundwater aquifers are replenished by God pissing in a hole in the ground.

July 21, 2015, 12:59 p.m.

Got the 15 passenger raft shuttle van stuck at an almost flat wet put in … the Droughts over

July 21, 2015, 1:26 p.m.

Please DO NOT - I REPEAT DO NOT- wasrsh your car unless its with Nestlé bottled water! Because that is the ONLY truly sustainable way to do it, since groundwater aquifers are replenished by God pissing in a hole in the ground.

Great idea! Usually, we fill up our SUPER SOAKERS with Nestlé bottled water. Your suggestion (more of a command!) takes it to a whole new level.

Re: car washing. Does anyone know if Dawn dish detergent is pH compatible with spring water?

:)

July 21, 2015, 1:49 p.m.

Soap? Use cayenne pepper powder :P

July 21, 2015, 2:30 p.m.

In North Vancouver, condos pay for water in property taxes. People with a pay per use billing use a lot less - as much as 39% less. So why is North Vancouver stuck in this tax model?

The strata could get billed for usage and then divvy it up by unit share. That would provide some incentive for people to use less.

Canadian water use - A wretched excess?
http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/magazine/mj00/water_use.asp

"Canada diverts more water between drainage basins than any other country — about 400 cubic metres per second or the equivalent flow of a river the size of the Ottawa River. Most water in Canada is diverted to concentrate flows for hydroelectric power, unlike other counties, which divert water from wet to dry areas, from uninhabited areas to those where many people live."

Imagine if Canada looked at water from a more agricultural perspective?

July 21, 2015, 2:39 p.m.

Some rivers are being closed to protect the fishies. Good move. https://news.gov.bc.ca/stories/fishing-closures-announced-for-south-coast

July 21, 2015, 2:41 p.m.

In North Vancouver, condos pay for water in property taxes. People with a pay per use billing use a lot less - as much as 39% less. So why is North Vancouver stuck in this tax model?

The strata could get billed for usage and then divvy it up by unit share. That would provide some incentive for people to use less.

Well, we finally agree on something. Only you're short on your facts. Flat rate billing for water in the municipal tax structure isn't just limited to condos in north van. It's the norm for all residential across the Metro Vancouver region. Metered water really should be brought in. But it's a political hot potato no politician is willing to risk his/her next election on.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

July 21, 2015, 2:52 p.m.

Well, we finally agree on something. Only you're short on your facts. Flat rate billing for water in the municipal tax structure isn't just limited to condos in north van. It's the norm for all residential across the Metro Vancouver region. Metered water really should be brought in. But it's a political hot potato no politician is willing to risk his/her next election on.

Seriously? Houses also get a flat rate for water usage? No shit …
Wow.

Perhaps I am confused .. Does this not state that residences are billed for usage 'units':
http://vancouver.ca/home-property-development/metered-rates.aspx

Eureka ..

http://vancouver.ca/home-property-development/water-and-sewer-bill.aspx
"All new single family home and duplex water connections (as of January 2012) will have metered water and sewer service as well."

July 21, 2015, 3:09 p.m.

West Vancouver has metered water billing today. So its hardly pie-in-the-sky:

http://westvancouver.ca/home-building-property/water-sewers

Metered Water

Water and sewer are fully metered, which means you pay based on how much water you use. Since we introduced water metering in 2007, overall consumption has dropped by 25 per cent.

Reduce the amount of water you use and save money on your quarterly utility bill.

Want to track your water consumption? Watch your water consumption trends online through MyDistrict.

Email your City/District Council …

Re: car washing. Does anyone know if Dawn dish detergent is pH compatible with spring water?

Dishwashing detergent is not recommended on painted/finished surfaces as it is oxidative/corrosive. [HTML_REMOVED]Martha Stewart[HTML_REMOVED]If you want to use something gentle on finished surfaces (like your bicycle frame), you could use a gentle soap, like Johnson's baby shampoo. [HTML_REMOVED]/Martha Stewart[HTML_REMOVED]

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/06/13/aa.car.cleaning.myths/

Also "spring water" is not of uniform pH … it depends on the chemical/geological composition of the local geography (or the type of springs that were in it, like old auto leaf leaf springs or rusty bedsprings). Duh?

July 21, 2015, 3:31 p.m.

Spinner, the City of Vancouver is not the same as Metro Vancouver.

Mission [HTML_REMOVED] I think Abbotsford (both part of the Fraser Valley District), and parts of Surrey have water meters.

Installing water meters on existing properties would be big bucks as it requires excavating, underground plumbing, then landscaping the site after.

As Ken mentioned, it is also politically a tough sell as residents like paying a flat rate and then they can use as much as they want.

July 21, 2015, 3:39 p.m.

unlike other counties, which divert water from wet to dry areas, from uninhabited areas to those where many people live."

How is that working out for California?

I don't see this statement as somehow better than using it for hydro electric.

July 21, 2015, 3:48 p.m.

Spinner, the City of Vancouver is not the same as Metro Vancouver.

Mission [HTML_REMOVED] I think Abbotsford (both part of the Fraser Valley District), and parts of Surrey have water meters.

Installing water meters on existing properties would be big bucks as it requires excavating, underground plumbing, then landscaping the site after.

As Ken mentioned, it is also politically a tough sell as residents like paying a flat rate and then they can use as much as they want.

How did West Vancouver manage it?

http://ascelibrary.org/doi/abs/10.1061/41024%28340%2919

In only 2 years, they managed to meter 18,600 customers (out of a total population of 44,000 - if we assume the Canadian average household size - 2.5 people per household - that's pretty much 100% household compliance).

Presumably some of the income from metered water will pay for the cost of metering? Maybe a tax levy?

Anyone with a subscription to the American Society of Civil Engineers online version of the journal "Water Distribution Systems Analysis". C'mon NBR … you've never let me down!

How is that working out for California?

I don't see this statement as somehow better than using it for hydro electric.

Or Australia (Snowy Project), or Egypt (Aswan Dam) or Russia (Aral Sea - below)? Like everything else, without any plans for sustainability eventually even water gets played out, along with other unintended consequences - like soil salination, deforestation, loss of topsoil etc, etc.

July 21, 2015, 4:08 p.m.

-useless info…

All backflow preventors ( for fire protection )in Surrey, Delta and City of Langley are detector checks and have water meters installed.

Your 0.02 opinion is worthless. Since Feb 2013, pennies have to be rounded down. Sorry.

July 21, 2015, 4:20 p.m.

How did West Vancouver manage it?

http://ascelibrary.org/doi/abs/10.1061/41024%28340%2919

In only 2 years, they managed to meter 18,600 customers (out of a total population of 44,000 - if we assume the Canadian average household size - 2.5 people per household - that's pretty much 100% household compliance).

Presumably some of the income from metered water will pay for the cost of metering? Maybe a tax levy?

Anyone with a subscription to the American Society of Civil Engineers online version of the journal "Water Distribution Systems Analysis". C'mon NBR … you've never let me down!

No idea, but I know that at least part of West Van gets their water from Eagle/Dick lake below Cypress so they might have been running up against reservoir volume limitations. (That is the same reason Mission installed them, more houses than their reservoir could support.)

It could also be a system limitation issue with not enough flow rate.

Conservation and efficiency is a LOT more cost effective than building capital infrastructure.