The Running Thread

Sept. 28, 2015, 12:57 p.m.

May I recommend Coverplast for all your nipple covering needs - the stickyist I can find.

Van Marathon nice call I was considering this race last night but we will see.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Oct. 1, 2015, 9:22 p.m.

So I had a minor break through today a ran a mile in 5.59.40 maybe I will be seeing Fast Orange at the start of the Vancouver marathon but I am on for an MEC 10k in November

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Oct. 30, 2015, 10:45 a.m.

Anyone running the North Van MEC Race 5 tomorrow?

Costumes are highly recommended !

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Nov. 27, 2015, 10:59 p.m.

Will this be a run start to finish or half run and half walk?

I will run it all. I'm already signed up and training hard. Doing 3 small and 1 big run per week.

www.natooke.com

Nov. 29, 2015, 11:35 a.m.

Hi Guys,

After not having run for what felt like ages, I went on a 4.6 km run yesterday, finished it pretty well, nearly eight weeks after knee surgery.

I am quite amazed that despite not having run seriously for more than a year I was feeling well and absolutely pain free.

I guess all the lifting and kettlebell stuff I have been doing for more than hundred days in a row now might be of importance.

Still….feels great to be back running. Think I stick to that until I can ridemy Mtb again next season.

Just wanted to share that.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 11, 2015, 3:33 p.m.

So I had a minor break through today a ran a mile in 5.59.40 maybe I will be seeing Fast Orange at the start of the Vancouver marathon but I am on for an MEC 10k in November

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow! The fastest mile I've ever run a mile was 7:15. I'm like an ox when I run. I average 5:30 a km but I can keep it up for a long time.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 14, 2015, 1:17 a.m.

Still running every other day, or every third - knee does not bother me at all, a different story when it comes to biking. Guess I can not take it easy on the bike.

Am really enjoying the cold and dark times of early winter over here. Running in darkness has a soothing effect, no music needed.

So how is everyone else doing?

In a beer mood I nearly sent the Hardrock 100 an email on friday eve, asking about 2017. I showed my wife the trailer for the upcoming documentary, called Kissing the Rock - she just stared at me.

The next day I woke up - horrified.

- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 14, 2015, 10:58 a.m.

Still running every other day, or every third - knee does not bother me at all, a different story when it comes to biking. Guess I can not take it easy on the bike.

Am really enjoying the cold and dark times of early winter over here. Running in darkness has a soothing effect, no music needed.

So how is everyone else doing?

In a beer mood I nearly sent the Hardrock 100 an email on friday eve, asking about 2017. I showed my wife the trailer for the upcoming documentary, called Kissing the Rock - she just stared at me.

The next day I woke up - horrified.

Ultras to me right now are terrifying yet somehow madly alluring… We'll see how I handle BMO first.

It's funny the thing I'm finding hardest about getting five runs in a week is the weather, don't really like the cold and wet and I find it harder to motivate myself. Been doing some shorter early morning runs before work but that became a little tiresome so my new thing is commuting to and from work on foot. Usually bus one way. Trying to run home more than to because there's more uphill. I've adjusted to running with a little hydration pack I can keep essentials in and clipped a front and rear blinker to it. I also clutch a bike bell in one hand that I can ding at petextrians. My colleague was joking I should wear a helmet and run with a handlebar.

Kinda mangled myself last week though, ran to work in the morning then ran back in the evening for a combined total of a half marathon in one day with work in between. Could tell I had overdone it halfway through the run home, had some Achilles stress and had to take three days off. Spent the injured days getting into born to run. Decided to change a thing or two about my attitude and stride.

Went out last night and ran 8k in 40 minutes. Broke two PRs for my fastest 5 k and fastest 1k. Was focusing on expecting more from myself in terms of speed and to keep my feet lower to the ground to smooth the stride instead of clomping along like a Frankenstein. I was also trying to keep my torso more stationary. Fastest most painless run I've ever had.

Feeling a little confused about shoes right now. According to that book my feet are marvels of engineering by themselves and fancy adidas tech fits are just going to injure me more but I can't really imagine it's an easy transition to barefoot or even the right thing to do in my case. Thinking about trying a less fancy shoe next at least.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 14, 2015, 11:13 a.m.

Ultras to me right now are terrifying yet somehow madly alluring… We'll see how I handle BMO first.

It's funny the thing I'm finding hardest about getting five runs in a week is the weather, don't really like the cold and wet and I find it harder to motivate myself. Been doing some shorter early morning runs before work but that became a little tiresome so my new thing is commuting to and from work on foot. Usually bus one way. Trying to run home more than to because there's more uphill. I've adjusted to running with a little hydration pack I can keep essentials in and clipped a front and rear blinker to it. I also clutch a bike bell in one hand that I can ding at petextrians. My colleague was joking I should wear a helmet and run with a handlebar.

Kinda mangled myself last week though, ran to work in the morning then ran back in the evening for a combined total of a half marathon in one day with work in between. Could tell I had overdone it halfway through the run home, had some Achilles stress and had to take three days off. Spent the injured days getting into born to run. Decided to change a thing or two about my attitude and stride.

Went out last night and ran 8k in 40 minutes. Broke two PRs for my fastest 5 k and fastest 1k. Was focusing on expecting more from myself in terms of speed and to keep my feet lower to the ground to smooth the stride instead of clomping along like a Frankenstein. I was also trying to keep my torso more stationary. Fastest most painless run I've ever had.

Feeling a little confused about shoes right now. According to that book my feet are marvels of engineering by themselves and fancy adidas tech fits are just going to injure me more but I can't really imagine it's an easy transition to barefoot or even the right thing to do in my case. Thinking about trying a less fancy shoe next at least.

After suffering for a number of years with heal and lower leg issues. I switched to a mid strike sole, changed my running style, and presto no issues any more. Shocked

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Dec. 15, 2015, 1:16 p.m.

Running to work. Impressed…..sort of unreal, like when I ws in London for the first time…seeing all those folks in the morning passing the hostel that regukarly run to work. Actually, really great. For me, it would be 25km one way. No way I coukd run that before work.

About your stride and running technique. Have you ever heard of the book Power, Sped, Endurance by McKenzie? It is quite good I think in describing vatious orepartorymoves and techniques to get your body back to running without using the heel strike.

I have a few colleagues at work who swear by the mid/front foot strike.

And there are some tutorials floating around the web so that you could teach yourself.

- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 15, 2015, 2:30 p.m.

Are you talking about transitioning to barefoot or minimal? If the latter, it is not really as big of a deal as they make it out to be. You can also go minimalist sometimes, using it as a tool to sharpen your form and strengthen your feet.

Although I can say that stability shoes and high-drop shoes feel like clogs now.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Dec. 18, 2015, 9:06 a.m.

I just picked up a new pair. Not minimal but doesn't have a super padded heel. Would like to get into a minimal shoe at some point

www.natooke.com

Dec. 19, 2015, 1:51 a.m.

Had my first run after a layoff of nearly four months. Cycling goals got in the way.

Just 5K (in the dark) but felt great to be running again. Hoping we get a light dusting of snow at some point. I love running on fresh snow, like running on pillows.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Dec. 20, 2015, 9:50 a.m.

Comparison of before a Ultra and after a Ultra.

http://trailrunnermag.com/people/culture/2004-before-after-ultra-harricana-125k-finisher-portraits

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 20, 2015, 10:04 a.m.

Comparison of before a Ultra and after a Ultra.

http://trailrunnermag.com/people/culture/2004-before-after-ultra-harricana-125k-finisher-portraits

Wow, thanks for sharing. Some of them look as if beyond bliss, while some look completely thrashed and beat.

Guess a runner has a meeting with his/her inner demons, or his/her spirit.

Definitely intrigued.

Did run longer than 5 km today, mostly on properly wet trails. Lost the gps signal at the 4.50 km mark but had to run for roughly the same distance. Weird, was not getting into the groove, when running feels easy. Was a fight right from the start.

Really looking forward to the holidays and a few days off from work.

- Kristen Ulmer