The Running Thread

Jan. 9, 2016, 1:58 p.m.

I am not sure if I can ever muster the time and energy necessary for getting the training miles in.

Let's have a run together next time I am in Vancouver.

For sure, nine hours on my feet is more than I even spend on a single ride, so a trail half or trail marathon might be enough for me.

Definitely let me know when you're in town. In addition to trails, there is the hike up to First/Second Pump on Seymour, which can be a nice mixture of running and fast hiking.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 10, 2016, 1:41 a.m.

For sure, nine hours on my feet is more than I even spend on a single ride, so a trail half or trail marathon might be enough for me.

Definitely let me know when you're in town. In addition to trails, there is the hike up to First/Second Pump on Seymour, which can be a nice mixture of running and fast hiking.

I have another great book on Ultras by John Morelock which I highly recommend- Run gently out there.

He states that a marathon can be used to work out the kinks for an ultra. Jurek says something similar. And honestly i am far, far away from a marathon, let alone the training miles.

I let you know well in advance, looking forward to it. Much appreciated.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 12, 2016, 10:36 a.m.

He states that a marathon can be used to work out the kinks for an ultra. Jurek says something similar. And honestly i am far, far away from a marathon, let alone the training miles.

personally i have only run one road marathon and will likely never do that again. having said that, i've run 2 trail ultra and am hooked. i find they are VERY different beasts. there tends to still be a focus on speed with marathons, much less so with ultras. and there is a LOT of walking in trail ultras. unless you are elite. it's very casual, relaxed paced. training for an ultra just means being able to go sloooow for a long time. i found marathon training way more regimented and intense.

my training for this year's race (40miles) is just riding and some full long days of adventure hiking/trail running with lots of snacks and friends.

Jan. 12, 2016, 1:34 p.m.

personally i have only run one road marathon and will likely never do that again. having said that, i've run 2 trail ultra and am hooked. i find they are VERY different beasts. there tends to still be a focus on speed with marathons, much less so with ultras. and there is a LOT of walking in trail ultras. unless you are elite. it's very casual, relaxed paced. training for an ultra just means being able to go sloooow for a long time. i found marathon training way more regimented and intense.

my training for this year's race (40miles) is just riding and some full long days of adventure hiking/trail running with lots of snacks and friends.

Ultras are different beasts. And so is trail running races of any distance. Trail running does require speed it still requires more tactics and smarts. Can't turn your brain off like road running where you have nothing much to worry about surface wise. Try that trail running and you end up on the ground.

And speaking of Ultras..check out this legend of the Canadian Death race…
http://northof49xx.blogspot.ca/2016/01/go-death-racer-dag-aabye.html?view=magazine

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 12, 2016, 1:42 p.m.

Ultras are different beasts. And so is trail running races of any distance. Trail running does require speed it still requires more tactics and smarts. Can't turn your brain off like road running where you have nothing much to worry about surface wise. Try that trail running and you end up on the ground.

/QUOTE]

totally agree. when i started on trails i fell like a kid learning to walk. eventually i realized to slow down and take smaller steps. although war wounds are a part of the fun.

and speaking of death race…have you heard of Barkley? that's the mother…
"more people would be better off with more pain in their lives"
truth
https://youtu.be/79IUKC9gS-8

Jan. 30, 2016, 9:14 a.m.

So, I just found out that when we are in Are, Sweden, again this coming summer, there is the annual fell marathon event week going on. The course rubs along the cabin, and we were spectators a few years ago.

Now, there are some entries left….shall I register? It is a 43 km mountainous marathon across two mountaibs. Area looks like the Lake District.

Sort of torn, parts of me say Yes, another vouce tells me I am bonkers.

Run is on August 6, so about 6 mobths of prep. Weekly mileage at present is ~ 30 km, trails mostly, rolling hills.

What do you think?

- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 30, 2016, 9:58 a.m.

So, I just found out that when we are in Are, Sweden, again this coming summer, there is the annual fell marathon event week going on. The course rubs along the cabin, and we were spectators a few years ago.

Now, there are some entries left….shall I register? It is a 43 km mountainous marathon across two mountaibs. Area looks like the Lake District.

Sort of torn, parts of me say Yes, another vouce tells me I am bonkers.

Run is on August 6, so about 6 mobths of prep. Weekly mileage at present is ~ 30 km, trails mostly, rolling hills.

What do you think?

DO IT!
it'll be amazing. just take it eeeeeeasy and enjoy. i wouldn't aim for a time at all. walk the hills and slow easy jog rest of the way. it's such a great way to explore an area.

Jan. 31, 2016, 10:36 a.m.

I just registered for the half narathon, 27 km with about 1.2 km of altitude gain. :rocker:

The event leaves enough room for error, and preparation will not turn into something challenging and stressful for me and my family.

Talked to a seasoned runner today, he advised me to run the half marathon, and try the full one next year.

My missus just said….maybe there is a trail marathon in BC in 2017?

Sounds like a plan. :clap:

Edit: Found a video of last year's run. Exciting!

https://youtu.be/hG7yA18GBuc

- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 31, 2016, 1:17 p.m.

I just registered for the half narathon, 27 km with about 1.2 km of altitude gain. :rocker:

The event leaves enough room for error, and preparation will not turn into something challenging and stressful for me and my family.

Talked to a seasoned runner today, he advised me to run the half marathon, and try the full one next year.

My missus just said….maybe there is a trail marathon in BC in 2017?

Sounds like a plan. :clap:

Edit: Found a video of last year's run. Exciting!

https://youtu.be/hG7yA18GBuc

awesome! tons of trail races in bc…8km, 12-ishkm, 25km, marathon and ultra distances. almost too many options!

Jan. 31, 2016, 5:16 p.m.

My running goals for 2016 will be to get running again - hopefully try to regain the form I had at the end of 2013 and early 2014. It's amazing how much a minor (but nagging) injury, and then "Life", can get in the way of running!

Hoping by the end of the year I will be able to complete a Marathon.

For now, it's just about getting out there consistently. 5 days into 2016 I've run twice already. I hope to get out there 3 to 4 days a week, every week, for the first few months before I even think about working specifically on speed or distance.

For now it's just about easing in, and enjoying every run.

January is over and I accomplished my goals for the month. I ran 13 times this month, which equates to about 3 times per week.

Today was the first and only 10km run in the month. I intentionally kept the distances short; but I did run a bit further, and a bit faster each week.

For February the goal is to continue running 3 to 4 days per week. I'll add in some speed work (on short distances), and try to keep the long runs each week at around 10km.

The best part about today's run was that the finish was never in doubt. I didn't go especially quick, but I felt strong the entire time and knew I was going to be able to complete 10km's.

Looking forward to February!

How is everyone else doing on their 2016 resolutions?

Feb. 11, 2016, 4:50 p.m.

How is everyone else doing on their 2016 resolutions?

Marathon training is ramping up and I'm commuting to work on foot almost exclusively now. Putting in over 70kms a week and my pace has gone from 5:45 per km to about 5:15.

In preparation for better weather I also picked up some Izumi trail shoes, a camelbak ultra 10 and a north shore trail map. I'm looking forward to running around in the woods.

www.natooke.com

Feb. 11, 2016, 6:14 p.m.

Anyone got any recommendations for a good first trail run? Something around 15-20k would be nice, hopefully with some good ascents that offer a view of the city.

www.natooke.com

Feb. 11, 2016, 8:39 p.m.

Feb. 11, 2016, 8:57 p.m.

careful Zed, you're on a much shorter leash in this forum than nbr. one of the principles of this forum is a place where people can come for knowledge and ask questions without fear of reprisals or having to deal with nonsense and off-topic gibberish. there have been a few questionable things i've let slide in here at times and appropriate comic relief is welcome but for the most part this is place is for reasonable discussion.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 11, 2016, 9 p.m.

careful Zed, you're on a much shorter leash in this forum than nbr. one of the principles of this forum is a place where people can come for knowledge and ask questions without fear of reprisals or having to deal with nonsense and off-topic gibberish. there have been a few questionable things i've let slide in here at times and appropriate comic relief is welcome but for the most part this is place is for reasonable discussion.

I hear ya - was simply returning the favour to the masses.

I have a friend that got into running a few years back that was an overweight salesman (like me), was training for marathons etc and it sure beat up his body until he got whipped into shape. He said something once that made me laugh and I tell others when they are talking about bad health in their genes - he said, "It's not that it runs in your family, it's that no one in your family runs." :lol: