NSMB - 2023 - Hardtails Leaning Against Stuff Thread

Feb. 25, 2023, 4:38 p.m.

Cold sunny day bike lean on a very chill "get out of the house for a minute" kind of ride.

Feb. 27, 2023, 8:51 p.m.

Been a bit of wild time for my hardtails lately.

Chromag Wideangle is a child hauling duty with a rigid fork.

My 2005ish Rocky Hammer is on Zwift duty.

My Kona Private Jake is still out there rocking.

1x11 drivetrain, 10-42 cassette, 120mm dropper, 90mm Chromag stem, 770mm carbon dh bar, guide 4 piston front caliper, level 2 piston rear caliper. Absolute riot to ride.

Feb. 28, 2023, 12:18 a.m.

Posted by: heathen

The pilot of this tandem seems unimpressed with the stoker's output.

Feb. 28, 2023, 3:49 a.m.

Posted by: SlowAnimalsWin

Cold sunny day bike lean on a very chill "get out of the house for a minute" kind of ride.

What's the fork you're running on the Cotic (assume it's a SMax).  How do you find it?  

I've never thought of rigidifying my SMax but thanks to your photo it's firmly lodged in my brain as something to think about trying....

Feb. 28, 2023, 6:28 a.m.

It's a Surly Karate Monkey fork from the parts bin. Like most Surly products it's a little overbuilt, but seems fine so far? I moved the Fox 34 from this bike to my new-ish FS bike and re-imagined the Cotic as a gravel/mellow path cruiser. I thinks it's suspension corrected for 100mm. Feels nice and long and the BB feels noticeably low bombing roads downhill. Head angle is still slack enough for what I'm doing, I'd guess somewhere in the 66-67 range.

Feb. 28, 2023, 7:01 a.m.

Posted by: SlowAnimalsWin

It's a Surly Karate Monkey fork from the parts bin. Like most Surly products it's a little overbuilt, but seems fine so far? I moved the Fox 34 from this bike to my new-ish FS bike and re-imagined the Cotic as a gravel/mellow path cruiser. I thinks it's suspension corrected for 100mm. Feels nice and long and the BB feels noticeably low bombing roads downhill. Head angle is still slack enough for what I'm doing, I'd guess somewhere in the 66-67 range.

It's probably similar to my Krampus fork.  Sweet I may have to try it some day.

Feb. 28, 2023, 7:49 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

The pilot of this tandem seems unimpressed with the stoker's output.

We might have just rode by some dogs and didn't stop. LoL

The funniest part is he is so stoked to get in and ride he burns out and falls a sleep sometimes.

Feb. 28, 2023, 8:30 a.m.

Sunrise triple hardtail snowy forest lean.

Feb. 28, 2023, 11:13 a.m.

Nothing but looking at fatbikes for sale today

Feb. 28, 2023, 3:25 p.m.

We had a hint of snow but sadly it didn’t settle - however we’ve had a few very spring-like sunny dry days with perfect trail conditions too. Sadly I can’t post pics from one of those rides because I was on my very not hardtail and rather electric Levo!

Triple leaning hardtails - apologies about the unaesthetic road cone:

Triple hardtails

Steel 29”, carbon 27.5”, titanium 26”.

I like this bike so much! 

Moxie

However I’ve noticed that I’ve not been attacking with as much conviction of late, and having done some suspension tweakery of the Levo I’m thinking that the fork has got too soft on the Moxie - and not having enough support is causing me to stay back a bit because I’m don’t like the front dropping and steepening so much when I get forward.

My brake disc cheapness caught up with me last ride, had the back brake dragging all ride - the well worn discs and equally worn rear pads seems to have stopped the pistons retracting properly. Have decided to upgrade to some of the new heavy duty Hope discs - I’ve got them on the Levo and really like them. Are 220/200 rotors silly on a hardtail? Matching wheels convenience has led me that way…

Feb. 28, 2023, 4:56 p.m.

Posted by: a.funks

We had a hint of snow but sadly it didn’t settle - however we’ve had a few very spring-like sunny dry days with perfect trail conditions too. Sadly I can’t post pics from one of those rides because I was on my very not hardtail and rather electric Levo!

Triple leaning hardtails - apologies about the unaesthetic road cone:

Triple hardtails

Steel 29”, carbon 27.5”, titanium 26”.

I like this bike so much! 

Moxie

However I’ve noticed that I’ve not been attacking with as much conviction of late, and having done some suspension tweakery of the Levo I’m thinking that the fork has got too soft on the Moxie - and not having enough support is causing me to stay back a bit because I’m don’t like the front dropping and steepening so much when I get forward.

My brake disc cheapness caught up with me last ride, had the back brake dragging all ride - the well worn discs and equally worn rear pads seems to have stopped the pistons retracting properly. Have decided to upgrade to some of the new heavy duty Hope discs - I’ve got them on the Levo and really like them. Are 220/200 rotors silly on a hardtail? Matching wheels convenience has led me that way…

Are those other hardtails yours? If so, what are they?

Your hardtail (Moxie?) is awesome! Mullet?

March 1, 2023, 2:01 a.m.

“Are those other hardtails yours? If so, what are they?”

Sadly not (although probably fortunately not because I get confused if I own more than two MTBs!) I think the carbon one is a Scott (also singlespeed, running something like 34:16 - ouch!) and the titanium one is either a brand that no longer makes MTBs or doesn’t exist at all - either way I can’t remember!

There was another hardtail on the ride but his chain snapped on the first climb and none of us had a 9 speed quick link so that was the end for him - that was an aluminium 29” singlespeed so we covered all the frame materials! (Also an Evil full-sus but this is the wrong thread for that)

“Your hardtail (Moxie?) is awesome! Mullet?”

Yes Moxie, no mullet, just perspective. Yes, v awesome, thanks!

March 1, 2023, 6:35 a.m.

Are 220/200 rotors silly on a hardtail? 

I don't think they're silly anywhere.

March 1, 2023, 7:06 a.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

Are 220/200 rotors silly on a hardtail? 

I don't think they're silly anywhere.

Swapability makes sense.  I run my brake hoses long on the HT so they can flip to the FS if needed.  When changing wheels I typically change rotors as well - at least until the point were i'm running Curas on both bikes.  But to answer the question 220/200 makes sense - you can never have too much brake.

March 1, 2023, 9:23 a.m.

Hey Heathen, what fork are you running on the WA? I am thinking about turning my Rootdown into something a little different and one idea is to pop a rigid fork on there but finding one that has the proper A2C is not easy...lol. So far I am just tossing this idea around in my head...we shall see...lol.