NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

Aug. 6, 2022, 11:31 a.m.

State your psi tire and weight

21f 24r no inserts dhf dhr exo 2.3. 185lbs

It sounds low at my weight but I guess I ride like a little old lady?  Feels great tho.

Last edited by: BC_Nuggets on Aug. 6, 2022, 11:31 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 6, 2022, 12:26 p.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

21f 24r no inserts dhf dhr exo 2.3. 185lbs

It sounds low at my weight but I guess I ride like a little old lady? Feels great tho.

On my Chameleon I am running a 2.5" DHF EXO+ on the front and a 2.4" DHR II EXO+ on the rear (the old formulation of EXO+), with no inserts. I have settled on around 26 PSI rear and about 23 PSI front, plus or minus a couple PSI depending on the trail. I killed the stock EXO casing rear tire pretty quickly on this bike when running the same pressure and have almost worn the rear tire down to the casing at this point so I find the EXO+ is way more forgiving in rocky southwest US terrain. 

I'm on flats and find that my feet blow off the pedals if I slam into stuff too hard on the hardtail, so on my Geometron I actually have to run higher rear pressure with a DoubleDown casing. I weigh 160 lbs.

Last edited by: mrkdwrds on Aug. 6, 2022, 12:29 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Aug. 6, 2022, 12:49 p.m.

209lb, 20.5F, 24.5R - 2.3x29 Tough Vigilantes with no inserts on 30ID rims

Last edited by: fartymarty on Aug. 6, 2022, 12:50 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 6, 2022, 12:53 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Posted by: skooks

Posted by: DanL

Both very capable and fun bikes, but very different riding experiences.

This is key for me. A hardtail should be equivalent fun, but a different ride to the FS.

Agreed, my Krampus is a lot shorter and twitchier than the Murmur and probably more "fun" to ride when you don't feel like pushing hard.  But when i'm feeling on it the Murmur is a blast.  They complement each other quite well.

Aug. 6, 2022, 2:44 p.m.

DHR 2s exo+ front and rear currently

Cushcore pro front and rear

18psi front, 20 rear

175 lbs

Last edited by: DanL on Aug. 6, 2022, 2:57 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Aug. 6, 2022, 10:59 p.m.

Schwalbe MM/HD Addix Soft 29x2.35, about 22 psi front and 26 rear. No inserts, 30i rims. I weigh about 160 geared up.

Sounds like I should try dropping my pressures. I'm riding PNW woodland so not much sharp rock around to kill sidewalls.

Aug. 7, 2022, 6:39 a.m.

Maxxis Dissectors front and rear 27x2.6 exo set at 16 and 18 psi respectively with tannus inserts in both. I weigh 150 lbs and mostly ride beautifully brutal volcanic rocky terrain. This place has an insatiable appetite for rims and tires but so far this set up has survived and thrived.

Aug. 7, 2022, 9:36 a.m.

18F/21R on Dhf 2.5wt exo front, DHR 2.6 exo rear with tannus insert. 165 pounds

Aug. 7, 2022, 9:45 a.m.

What do you guys think about the value proposition of a Ti vs steel hardtail frame? I'm not planning to buy one so this is just a thought experiment. A couple of friends have Ti frames and they are gorgeous and definitely lighter than my CroMo frame, but probably around 3x more $$. I love the way my steel bike rides and have never regretted getting it. If you were buying a new hardtail would you consider going Ti? If so why?

Aug. 7, 2022, 5:46 p.m.

If you were buying a new hardtail would you consider going Ti? If so why?

I would get a Ti frame as a bit of "bike jewelry". If you check out back to back steel vs. Ti reviews for comparable frames the Ti ones don't always win out in ride quality and I've long given up on caring if my bike weighs +/-1 1lb. That said I don't feel like I am missing out in any meaningful way with my steel frames. It's possible I will get myself a Ti frame one of these days if the right one passes my way, but it's not something that I care about a lot or I would have already done it. If I splash out again for a pricey frame I am more likely to get a custom steel frame than any sort of Ti frame.

Last edited by: Vikb on Aug. 8, 2022, 6:07 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 7, 2022, 5:53 p.m.

- Schwalbe Magic Mary 29 x 2.6" [15-18psi]

- Schwalbe Hans Damf 29 x 2.6" [17-20psi] with Tannus Tubeless insert

- i30mm hookless rims

- ~185-190lbs out of the shower

- lower in winter and higher in summer

- these tires are noticeably plumper than the 29 x 2.6" Maxxis tires on i30mm hooked rims on my other hardtail

Last edited by: Vikb on Aug. 7, 2022, 5:53 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 8, 2022, 1:23 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

If you were buying a new hardtail would you consider going Ti? If so why?

I would get a Ti frame as a bit of "bike jewelry". If you check out back to to back steel vs. Ti reviews for comparable frames the Ti ones don't always win out in ride quality and I've long given up on caring if my bike weighs +/-1 1lb. That said I don't feel like I am missing out in any meaningful way with my steel frames. It's possible I will get myself a Ti frame one of these days if the right one passes my way, but it's not something that I care about a lot or I would have already done it. If I splash out again for a pricey frame I am more likely to get a custom steel frame than any sort of Ti frame.

Agreed, I would go custom steel over Ti.

Aug. 8, 2022, 4:59 a.m.

21psi front - 22psi rear - Tannus Tubeless inserts - Vittoria Mezcal 2.6" on 40mm rims - 165lbs/75kg. I used to run lower pressures but keep bonking rims on rock spines.

Aug. 8, 2022, 7:58 a.m.

What do you guys think about the value proposition of a Ti vs steel hardtail frame? I'm not planning to buy one so this is just a thought experiment. A couple of friends have Ti frames and they are gorgeous and definitely lighter than my CroMo frame, but probably around 3x more $$. I love the way my steel bike rides and have never regretted getting it. If you were buying a new hardtail would you consider going Ti? If so why?

This is where I quietly suggest waltlytitanium.com. They're made in China to your exact spec. You pick tubing diameter, wall thickness, geometry, everything. And in about two months and $1000USD your frame arrives. I have two and they're amazing. Plus they're cheap enough that if you don't fully nail the configuration you can just buy another one are are still paying barely half of what a ti frame from anyone else would cost.

Also recognize that most brands' ti frame are not made in north america and those that are are even more expensive. Waltly is one of the places many brands turn to do do their ti fabrication so why not just skip that brand's logo on your frame?

Last edited by: craw on Aug. 8, 2022, 8:01 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Aug. 8, 2022, 8:19 a.m.

As someone who has owned 2 ti hardtails and several steel, I wouldn't go chasing ti. I always wanted ti having started rising in the 90's pre carbon when ti was the holy grail of bike materials. Now that I've had a couple, I wouldn't say the material does anything for me beyond being lighter. Historically they were supposed to be longer lasting but with the rapid changes in bike geo, who keeps a bike forever. Also, I believe ti Is harder to work with so if not done well they break (as two of my ti honzos did). Finally, it's hard to find companies making the geo in ti that you want sometimes whereas you can always fnd someone making a steel bike that is exactly what you want. Also, paint. Grey bikes are kinda meh. If I see a steel bike with a paint job I love and a ti bike next to one another, I know which one I will lust after.