NSMB - 2013 - Enduro/Trail Bike Build thread

Dec. 13, 2013, 2:52 p.m.

Do you think at this point that the Next SL cranks are burly enough for the intended use of that bike? It seems that the distinctions between big bike stuff and small bike stuff are getting really narrow. At one point it was Diabolus-type stuff or nothing. Now that Atlas and SixC are considered DH/DH-race is it feasible for a 200+lb rider to rock Next SLs on his AM bike in Vancouver? Cuz I really want to.

It seems to me it depends on how that 200 (+) lb rider rides.

I'll let you know how this 164 lb rider does but that won't be much help.

Dec. 13, 2013, 3:16 p.m.

Not sure about 200+ lbs, but 180 here with almost 12months on Next SL protos, riding everything the sea to sky has to offer including dorps to falt. I put a significant gouge in the non drive side arm when I struck a large rock on lower incline. The cranks barely protested and keep on ticking to this day.

Dec. 13, 2013, 3:17 p.m.

It seems to me it depends on how that 200 (+) lb rider rides.

I'll let you know how this 164 lb rider does but that won't be much help.

I had a chat with RaceFace about it and they seem pretty confident that they'll be fine.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Dec. 13, 2013, 8:51 p.m.

Not sure about 200+ lbs, but 180 here with almost 12months on Next SL protos, riding everything the sea to sky has to offer including dorps to falt. I put a significant gouge in the non drive side arm when I struck a large rock on lower incline. The cranks barely protested and keep on ticking to this day.

To me, this is the hallmark of a well designed product. If it is well engineered, well manufactured, looks proper (not too spindly or oddly shaped), and stiff enough it will very likely be strong enough. Race Face has figured this out from what I've seen.:clap:

Jan. 1, 2014, 11:50 a.m.

I just finished building my Ghost AMR Plus sitting at 28.5 lbs