NSMB - 2012 Light AM/FR bike build off 4-7"

Jan. 24, 2012, 7:48 p.m.

I don't really understand the dropper post thing. Maybe I'm old school but getting off the bike to raise or lower the seat post has always been a time to stop and socialize with riding partners for a few seconds or to stop and enjoy the moment.

I'm sure that if I bought one I'd think it was the greatest thing ever, but so is taking the time to shoot the shit with buddies on the trail

Funny, very few dropper posts in the Kootenays that I have seen since I moved back here two years ago… maybe its the long fireroad climbs and the steep descents that lend themselves to a traditional seatpost/QR setup? I still use a dropper post here but a lot of the trails are so damn steep that you just keep the seat slammed for the descent. Not saying they aren't a good idea. I still use mine a lot.

Jan. 25, 2012, 12:01 a.m.

So i guess, in short, i luv my dropper post.

WTF, Over?

Jan. 25, 2012, 9:09 a.m.

Fair enough, im not saying its perfect; but the most convenient, self absorbing, luxury component i have ever used. People say they can see the diff between a fox RC4, and a cane creek DB, and a pushed shock, but there is MARGINAL difference to what that does, in comparison to a remote dropping seat post. Only Scott bikes has an equevalant to suspension tuning. Which some how, every one puts so much stock in.
IMO this is THE new school upgrade, and will be as standard as a pedal filter for a rear shock or fork, and adjustable throw on your brake levers on a trail bike. If i was a DH racer, the first examples may resonate to me. But i really dont feel the masses will be able to tell the difference in a comparable shock. BUT these seat posts, will rule all in short form in the "industry".

are you :high: ?

yeah marginal buddy, the Scott equalizer is the shizzer and dropper post are the best thing ever.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: . . .

Have you EVER been able to compare 2 different shocks on the SAME bike?
Have you EVER had the chance to ride a bike with a stock shock and THEN ride it once its been "Pushed " ?

I think you might be surprised how big of a difference it can make, even for THE mass

I had a a Reverb for a little while and other than a good chunk of weight , a couple of times servicing the thing and an annoying sideplay, I couldnt tell the difference over a standard post while I was riding…Sure its fun for about a week to push that button and get the seat down but soon realized when riding with buddies, I'd still stop to take a minute and breath once at the top of the hill before bombing down…and I dont mind stopping to lower my seat while riding solo (its call stress management) I dont think a few seconds off the bike is going to make a significant difference on my general fitness level and try to enjoy my time spent on the bike.

Soooo to me its absolutely useless.

I can see it being vital for an enduro type of race were taking 30 seconds to adjust your seat can make a difference between 1st and 42nd … As for THE mass, I dont think for one minute it provides a greater advantage than a top of the line shock.

Jan. 25, 2012, 10:30 a.m.

when riding with buddies, I'd still stop to take a minute and breath once at the top of the hill before bombing down…and I dont mind stopping to lower my seat while riding solo (its call stress management) I dont think a few seconds off the bike is going to make a significant difference on my general fitness level and try to enjoy my time spent on the bike.

Obviously if you just pedal up a logging road and then bomb down a trail, a dropper isn't a vital piece of equipment. On rolling terrain it'll make a much bigger difference. I would have loved one on the couple of SSC pedally rides I did this past fall.

That said, with all the issues I've read about, a Gravity Dropper seems like a better option at this point. Even if it'll smash your nuts if you're not careful. :damn:

Check my stuff for sale!

Jan. 25, 2012, 10:39 a.m.

Obviously if you just pedal up a logging road and then bomb down a trail, a dropper isn't a vital piece of equipment. On rolling terrain it'll make a much bigger difference. I would have loved one on the couple of SSC pedally rides I did this past fall.

I totally agree with you , never said it didnt have a reason to exist and I can clearly see theirs a market for that piece of equipment but to say it makes a bigger impact than a "dialed" rear shock for THE mass is pure BS as far as Im concern..

Jan. 25, 2012, 11:57 a.m.

I totally agree with you , never said it didnt have a reason to exist and I can clearly see theirs a market for that piece of equipment but to say it makes a bigger impact than a "dialed" rear shock for THE mass is pure BS as far as Im concern..

Fair enough, and I too am a big proponent of getting your suspension set up properly. Like anything, horses for courses.

And if we're talking about THE mass, just getting them off Wal-mart bikes and onto something decent would be a start. ;)

Check my stuff for sale!

Jan. 25, 2012, 2:03 p.m.

The adjustable posts are a game changer if your rides don't involve riding to the top of a fireroad and down a slope. If you are out for 3-4hr ride and don't stop to chat at every downhill, the adjustable post is amazing. You can just keep on rolling into tech descents, or bits with jumpy flowy sections without slowing down.

Of course a dialed shock is nice too, which is why I spend too much money on bike gear. I have a Reverb on my Element and Blur LT. May get one for the HT too.

Jan. 25, 2012, 4:22 p.m.

So after all this, has Dave put one on his bike yet? ;)

Shed head!

Jan. 25, 2012, 4:32 p.m.

Dropper posts aren't about putting your seat down at the top…they're about being able to put your seat up when needed on a flat or uphill section on the trail. If all you ever do is ride up a fire road then go down a trail where you're standing all the time, there's no point.

Jan. 25, 2012, 5:08 p.m.

Dropper posts aren't about putting your seat down at the top…they're about being able to put your seat up when needed on a flat or uphill section on the trail. If all you ever do is ride up a fire road then go down a trail where you're standing all the time, there's no point.

unless like me, you can't have a full length seat post. the telescoping adjustability of these posts is definitely one of the main selling points. I don't have one of these posts and I've been thinking about it quite a bit lately. It may seem weird, but the one thing that's kept me from pulling the trigger on a reverb, is the handlebar control. I'd much rather have something under the saddle than add further clutter to the cockpit.

There's no place like fromme

Jan. 25, 2012, 5:11 p.m.

I made some changes to the Rune for 2012.

09 Large Rune
11 66 RC3 EVO
Manitou ISX-6
Enve Carbon DH bar
Works Components -2 degree headset
Hope 50mm stem
Hope Tech M4 brakes
RaceFace Atlas FR cranks
MRP G2 SL guide
Trail King 2.2 tires
Charger Expert tubeless wheelset
X.9 drivetrain
Sram 990 cassette
Ragley ti saddle
Look Quartz pedals

I'll get some better pictures when the weather improves.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Jan. 25, 2012, 6:34 p.m.

that thing must have a 64 degree head angle. what makes me sad is that thing has a non-ti 66 and is lighter than my old Rune with a fox 36. :high:

Check my stuff for sale!

Jan. 25, 2012, 6:48 p.m.

that thing must have a 64 degree head angle. what makes me sad is that thing has a non-ti 66 and is lighter than my old Rune with a fox 36. :high:

64.5 actually :D

With the old 36 Float it would be around 29lbs I think. The 66 is a pig but I don't mind because it is so smooth. :woot:

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Jan. 25, 2012, 7:01 p.m.

I made some changes to the Rune for 2012.

09 Large Rune
11 66 RC3 EVO
Manitou ISX-6
Enve Carbon DH bar
Works Components -2 degree headset
Hope 50mm stem
Hope Tech M4 brakes
RaceFace Atlas FR cranks
MRP G2 SL guide
Trail King 2.2 tires
Charger Expert tubeless wheelset
X.9 drivetrain
Sram 990 cassette
Ragley ti saddle
Look Quartz pedals

I'll get some better pictures when the weather improves.

What no dropper post? :deadhorse:

Jan. 25, 2012, 7:19 p.m.

So after all this, has Dave put one on his bike yet? ;)

nope. I like trouble free things and don't mind stopping to raise or lower the saddle. I did try a Joplin once. Put it on, pedaled around the garage and took it off. The thing wobbled around so much I couldn't stand it.

I do see where some people really like them, but for my riding I just don't see it as a necessity. Perhaps this will change one day.

Nice Rune Nechako!