New bike; Nomad vs Enduro vs Rune

March 28, 2011, 12:23 p.m.

I've decided to treat myself to a new bike this year, and after alot of e-shopping have narrowed it down to the following choices.

My budget is around $3300.

My criteria is pretty strict; I want to keep it around 31 lbs or less, 150-160mm of rear travel and a 160mm travel, 20mm fork with stable geometry (66-67 degree head angle, steep seat tube for climbing).

I like to split my time between climbing and descending - but I climb to descend, I foresee a trip to the Chilcotins this summer, 7 summits and Keystone Standard basin as well. I ride 2-3 times a week and usually climb to earn my descents. Descents involve lots of rock slabs, chunder, lots of vertical and steeps.

Options are as follows:

2011 Specialized Enduro Comp

2011 Nomad with R-AM kit

2011 Banshee Rune (unsure of kit).

I'm leaning towards the 2011 Enduro Comp because it meets most of the criteria with the factory parts spec. The nomad is nice and I like VPP suspension, but the seat angle is a little slacker than what I want. The rune is a killer bike and I've owned Banshee's in the past so it's a possibility but I'm not sure what kind of build I'll get for the price, and might be hard to keep it in my target weight.

Any suggestions or recommendations for different bikes that I've overlooked?

March 28, 2011, 12:33 p.m.

nomad r-am will be a couple of pounds heavier than your target i think. i was in the same boat last year and got the nomad. its a climbing machine and it did well on all the trails you mentioned,(no chilcotins). the seat angle feels right for me for climbing. on craigslist recently there were 2 used x9-am around your budget. whistlerguides or something like that.

March 28, 2011, 12:38 p.m.

A 6" travel rig for climbing and descending isn't worth the money IMO unless it has and adjustable travel fork.

Spend more and get the travel adjust.

March 28, 2011, 12:38 p.m.

I'll throw in some numbers on geo for the Slayer but will let others pipe up on the ride quality.

Seat Tube Angle: 75 degrees, steepest compared to your choices.
Head Tube Angle: 66.5 degrees, Slacker than Nomad and Rune, Same as Specialized.

There are dealers in Kelowna and Kamloops

March 28, 2011, 12:48 p.m.

Banshees website actually have a list of 3 packaged builds for the rune and their USA MSRP.

While there is one for 3000$ US its not too great and is pretty much zero frills. Maybe see how much the middle option actually comes to with ur LBS and see what options you have.

The Norco Range might be worth a look. Its got a pretty slack headtube angle and comes in around the 30 lb mark with a decent build.

March 28, 2011, 1:03 p.m.

I can comment only on the Enduro. I ride a 2010 Expert frame custom built. Weight (with pedals) is 32 lbs with a Fox 36 TALAS RC2, X.0/X.9, XTR cranks and Stans Flow on Hope hubs with Muddy Mary 2.35 front and rear.

The test bike (Enduro Comp) I rode before buying my frame had a non-travel adjustable fork and while you can climb ok, the TALAS is much more convenient uphill, especially paired with the then even steeper seat angle.

Another fact you might notice is that the Enduro is relatively low, so be prepared to punish your cranks.

I still have an issue with the Fox RP2 BV, as I've completely lost pro-pedal (Which is recommended however, as the rear is quite lively going uphill). Keep in mind you can only get replacement shocks from Specialized due to the custom eyelet on the shock.

HTH

March 28, 2011, 1:09 p.m.

if you are buying a new bike with a full build kit, i think you will have a hard time getting 6 and 6 at sub 31 pounds for your budget, regardless of which of the above options you go for

edit: apparently not true for the enduro: ~31 lbs bone stock

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 28, 2011, 1:19 p.m.

edit: apparently not true for the enduro: ~31 lbs bone stock

More like 32# for the medium i weighed.

P.S I'd buy the Enduro.

March 28, 2011, 2:02 p.m.

My personal bias for loving Banshee products declared, I really enjoy my Rune. It seems to do the impossible of both having amazing climbing traction and smashing the downhills. I run 1.5 angle cups to slacken out the HA.

March 28, 2011, 2:28 p.m.

Don't forget fit. I test rode all the bikes listed and the Enduro fit the bill for me. The Nomad and Rune both felt too short or too long. I like a bike with just over a 23" top tube. Bought last years comp for $2300 brand new, swapped some parts around and couldn't be happier. I don't miss the adjustable fork that my old bike had either. Mind you I don't do tons of tech climbing

March 28, 2011, 2:32 p.m.

The rune is a nice bike for sure, but the build kits at the 3k mark is sub par compared to the Nomad or the Enduro offer.

I'll be swapping a few parts from my current bike to lighten these up a little - ti saddle, XT cassette etc - a sprinkling of light parts I've accumulated over time.

March 28, 2011, 2:42 p.m.

i wont knock it til i try it but my non travel adjust fork has worked for me on everything so far on steep climbs.

March 28, 2011, 4:44 p.m.

I don't miss an adjustable travel fork either. I'll use it if it's there, but can't say it overly affects my rides in any way.

I own a Nomad and ridden the Enduro. I also have a Norco Range at the moment. Of the three I like the Range the most. The best of the three ascending and my favourite of the three descending (but all three are excellent and similar in geometry). The Range 2 is a little over your budget at $3650, but has a very nice parts build, and weights in at 30lbs.

Haven't ever ridden a Rune, so can't comment.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

March 28, 2011, 4:51 p.m.

[shameless plug]

Have you considered an Endorphin?

:D

[/shameless plug]

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

March 28, 2011, 5:39 p.m.

I have a Range as well, no experience on any of the other bikes mentioned but I can say that the Range climbs extremely well for a bike with 6" of travel. It descends like one would think a 6" bike should. This category has alot of great bikes in it and all your choices are very good and I'm sure you won't be disappointed in your choice but consider the Norco as an option. Mine has a Talas fork (which I like for long sustained climbs) and an adjustable seatpost (highly recommended as well) and comes in at 32 pounds. Check it out on the first page of the NSMB all-mountain lightest build thread as I shouldn't post any more photos of it in any other thread for fear of whipping;)

Shed head!