Household content insurance which covers bikes? (Merged multiple threads into this)

March 9, 2015, 1:54 p.m.

I had a friend make a claim with TD years ago. I'm not sure what plan or if the plans were even the same as now. He received full replacement costs for the 3 bikes stolen. As one was a dh custom build, he just got parts quotes from a bike shop for everything and they gave him full retail on the claim.

March 11, 2015, 1:25 a.m.

With the TD Platinum package, the limit is $6K per bike:
http://www.melochemonnex.com/en/residential/insurance_limitations

As for replacement vs. depreciated and bought new vs. bought used I'll ask both my wife and I have relatively expensive bikes that were bought used. That said the depreciated value would be about 1/3rd the replacement cost if we bought them new. Thanks for bringing up the point.

Cool, let me know what you find out. Also ask re: used/new. With BCAA, to get more than $4k per bike you need to add specific riders which require proof of purchase (invoice). Wife's bike is new but mine is used so I am sticking with the general policy, should be fine as replacement on mine is around $4k.

March 12, 2015, 12:07 p.m.

Cool, let me know what you find out. Also ask re: used/new. With BCAA, to get more than $4k per bike you need to add specific riders which require proof of purchase (invoice). Wife's bike is new but mine is used so I am sticking with the general policy, should be fine as replacement on mine is around $4k.

The customer service guy told me it is replacement cost.

On this page, with the Platinum Solution policy:

Bikes are listed at $6K each, with "Limitation applicable for theft and mysterious disappearances only".

So if you crash your bike and snap the frame you aren't covered but that makes sense.

March 13, 2015, 10:41 a.m.

The customer service guy told me it is replacement cost.

On this page, with the Platinum Solution policy:

Bikes are listed at $6K each, with "Limitation applicable for theft and mysterious disappearances only".

So if you crash your bike and snap the frame you aren't covered but that makes sense.

Cool. Any idea if TD needs to see an original invoice for a claim? Or will they accept pictures and a quote from a reputable bike shop for a like-for-like replacement? Thinking of switching over from BCAA at some point in the future.

March 13, 2015, 11:23 a.m.

i just got the renewal of my TD insurance and the costs have gone up - my rates almost doubled. it's still less than $40/month though.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 13, 2015, 11:47 a.m.

Cool. Any idea if TD needs to see an original invoice for a claim? Or will they accept pictures and a quote from a reputable bike shop for a like-for-like replacement? Thinking of switching over from BCAA at some point in the future.

I never asked that question. Could give their customer service people a call and ask, based on numerous calls with them they seem very helpful.

March 13, 2015, 11:52 a.m.

i just got the renewal of my TD insurance and the costs have gone up - my rates almost doubled. it's still less than $40/month though.

Ours is a lot more than that, but we are covering a house, contents, earthquake [HTML_REMOVED] identity theft.

It is still substantially less than what we were previously paying, but that was listing the bikes out on a separate rider vs. being covered for $6K per bike as a part of the Platinum package.

If anyone is getting a quote, call and talk to them. For me the phone price was less than the online price, likely because there are more discounts available as you answer their specific questions.

June 16, 2015, 12:21 p.m.

Does anyone know what a reasonable homeowners insurance rate is for a detached home (or any type home for that matter) (mine is 3000 sq ft) on the North Shore? My insurance keeps going up and up. Never made a claim. It used to be under $1000 about 10 years ago. I'm paying nearly $2100 a year now. I guess the other part of the package is what you get. I have earthquake insurance, $1 million liability etc. Knowing how hard seems to be to claim from insurance companies, one has to wonder if all the bells and whistles are worth it. Can anyone recommend a broker/company they trust?

June 16, 2015, 12:36 p.m.

usually it is a broker you can trust as opposed to the house brands because they can cherry pick the best option, I pay 800ish up here for 1000 sq ft with a rental suite in basement

June 16, 2015, 12:39 p.m.

my reason for cutting earthquake insurance was this, if there's a big one, bad enough to wreck my house, then many will be in the same boat and the insurance companies will not be able to pay. it makes me feel better anyway! most people will disagree i'm sure. I use mardon group and have for 15 years. very reasonable rates.

June 16, 2015, 1:33 p.m.

Wow … I just renewed for 1150 on a similar sized house in Lynn Valley. That's $100 less than last year's policy.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 16, 2015, 2:10 p.m.

Get a phone quote from TD (not just a quote on their website), a lot cheaper than our previous insurance provider with more coverage. (You need Platinum level to get the good coverage on bikes.)

Check the last couple of pages on this thread:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=128417

June 16, 2015, 2:46 p.m.

+1 on TD.
We have the platinum package (for the bikes) with earthquake and pay ~ $1200 for a similar house in Squamish. Shopped around a little and that was the best we could get with good bike coverage.

June 16, 2015, 2:59 p.m.

The Co-Operators 1453 Marine Drive. Henry is the man.

June 16, 2015, 3:22 p.m.

Thanks all … will do this. I "inherited" the insurance of the previous owner (who worked in a realtor's office), but I think its time to get off my ass and change providers.

my reason for cutting earthquake insurance was this, if there's a big one, bad enough to wreck my house, then many will be in the same boat and the insurance companies will not be able to pay. it makes me feel better anyway! most people will disagree i'm sure. I use mardon group and have for 15 years. very reasonable rates.

I would guess that a natural disaster the magnitude of a major earthquake would be handled by the government (like in California). However, I suspect that government aid would be limited beyond basics, and Insurance industry would take it from there to meet its obligations.