Household content insurance which covers bikes? (Merged multiple threads into this)

Nov. 18, 2009, 11:12 a.m.

God knows where to post this but I guess it covers gear…

So after some pikey c*nt stole stuff out of our car port hairier last night, we figure it's time to get some content insurance, but it will need a decent policy for bikes too. Who is a good company? When it comes to bikes, would they need proof of purchase if they were stolen (one is from the UK and both are built from the ground up rather than stock bikes so this would be a problem)? The other stuff is mainly your usual electronic gear so this post really towards getting reliable cover for a few bikes.

Cheers!

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 18, 2009, 11:17 a.m.

let me know when you find one. good luck.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Nov. 18, 2009, 11:22 a.m.

TD/Meloche Monex.
Bike coverage upto $5k/bike is included and their rates are competitive.

Nov. 18, 2009, 11:28 a.m.

This is a new product that just came up on the market. It was so good I changed my insurance provider after 10 years. It's the first insurance coverage with meaningful per-bike coverage where you don't have schedule bikes in a separate rider

Simon - is TD Meloche Monnex a separate rider or is that all into the basic home insurance package? Edit found some discussion about it here and its implied it doesn't require a rider or schedule

Discussed here
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=120379

Here are my notes and contact name and person

BFL Canada Arlene 604 647 - 5435

$ 300 approx for insurance

3000 per bike - without need for separate rider

500 deductible per bike

Nov. 18, 2009, 11:28 a.m.

i went to the cooperators but had to get separate rider for my bikes.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

Nov. 18, 2009, 11:35 a.m.

Our insurance company allowed us to add bikes on a separate rider, basically $8/$100 of coverage - it was up to us if we wanted replacement value or dollar value so we could pick and choose per bike.

We've decided to forego insurance this year and just keep the bikes inside.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Nov. 18, 2009, 11:44 a.m.

A note re separate riders. They are horribly expensive for most bikes. $3/100 is on the low-end. $ 5/100 is medium. $ 8/100 is bend over and squeal. Their advantage is that you get back, in cash, the value of the bikes you schedule on a rider.

I'm much more interested in the all-in insurance where one payment covers your bike. You get back $ up to a certain sum ($ 3,000 in BFL insurance case, still waiting to hear from Simon re Meloche Monnex) and you pay a $ 500 deductible.

Nov. 18, 2009, 11:44 a.m.

Our insurance company allowed us to add bikes on a separate rider, basically $8/$100 of coverage - it was up to us if we wanted replacement value or dollar value so we could pick and choose per bike.

We've decided to forego insurance this year and just keep the bikes inside.

wow that seems really pricey.

i think we are paying ~ $3/100 and thats with CDI and is zero deductable and no fault.

Nov. 18, 2009, 11:59 a.m.

A note re separate riders. They are horribly expensive for most bikes. $3/100 is on the low-end. $ 5/100 is medium. $ 8/100 is bend over and squeal. Their advantage is that you get back, in cash, the value of the bikes you schedule on a rider.

I'm much more interested in the all-in insurance where one payment covers your bike. You get back $ up to a certain sum ($ 3,000 in BFL insurance case, still waiting to hear from Simon re Meloche Monnex) and you pay a $ 500 deductible.

Our deductible was $50/bike..so that helped swallow the high premiums. I've had the $500 deductible before and would just as soon spend a bit more and buy a new bike without my annual premiums going up in other areas. We'll see how it goes this year.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Nov. 18, 2009, 12:10 p.m.

big freaking lock

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 18, 2009, 2:48 p.m.

after you make a few big claims for your stolen bikes you can then expect to pay an assload for house insurance for the next 20 years.

spend the money on locks/security

Nov. 18, 2009, 2:54 p.m.

we got home insurance (building and content) through vancity - i think the carrier is royal and sunalliance? ~125$ month which was at the cheaper end of what i could find. coverage for unlimited number of bicycles in the base policy, up to $1500 per bike, no receipts necessary (i triple checked this) $500 one time deductible.

'course vancity sold its insurance arm to the cooperators, but our policy is unaffected by this.

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 18, 2009, 3:22 p.m.

no rider, no schedule of bikes, no additional $X/100 of coverage.

bikes are included in the $X thousand of contents/homeowners insurance you purchase upto $5k per bike. A no brainer IMO, i switched too.

Agree that security and preventative measures are also the first line of defense.

Nov. 18, 2009, 4:39 p.m.

after you make a few big claims for your stolen bikes you can then expect to pay an assload for house insurance for the next 20 years.

spend the money on locks/security

With the insurance through CDI any claims for bikes doesn't affect the house insurance premium. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if several claims changed the cost for the bike portion of the policy, though.

Nov. 19, 2009, 8:17 a.m.

Thanks for the info all. I look into them on my 'weekend'. The bikes are kept in the house, but I have got my ass into gear and found three locks and locked them together, so hauling them out would be a total pain in the butt.

treezz
wow you are a ass