Household content insurance which covers bikes? (Merged multiple threads into this)

March 12, 2014, 8:02 a.m.

http://www.melochemonnex.com/

Cheap, covers expensive bikes and can add on identity theft coverage for not much extra. We're with them and are happy with the rate and policy coverage.

March 12, 2014, 9:08 a.m.

Cheap, covers expensive bikes and can add on identity theft coverage for not much extra. We're with them and are happy with the rate and policy coverage.

Agreed. Have a few friends using as well. At least one has had to replace their entire stable of bikes due to theft. It was effortless and they gave them full current retail value. We found their rates to be very competitive.

March 12, 2014, 9:11 a.m.

I got a new place last sping - my current insurors gave me a huge increase. Someone here mentioned TD and they were almost $700 cheaper for the year. Definitely went with them and they can add a bike amendment.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

March 12, 2014, 11:55 a.m.

Yeah consider its not just price, you do want to know how these companies will be IF you need to claim and with bikes you are statistically way more likely to submit a claim than on say a house fire

March 12, 2014, 12:11 p.m.

I got a new place last sping - my current insurors gave me a huge increase. Someone here mentioned TD and they were almost $700 cheaper for the year. Definitely went with them and they can add a bike amendment.

just switched my insurance from cooperators to td as they're less than 1/2 the price.
biggest difference is no need for a seperate rider for my bikes as the TD platinum plan includes bikes up to $6000.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 12, 2014, 1:25 p.m.

I insured through Park Insurance www.park.ca
Not only did they cut my premiums in half, they found me a policy with no separate rider for bikes, so all of my bikes are covered for up to my 'contents' limit (which is way more then the total value of all of my bikes).

March 12, 2014, 1:29 p.m.

yeah sync, i was with cooperators as well. Good for condo - shit for house. When I gave them TD's price, they just shook their head and said there's no way they could match or go near that and she even said "our rates aren't very good, compared to that".

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

March 12, 2014, 4:11 p.m.

X2

I've found they seem to have the highest bicycle cap (%500.00) without having to have an additional rider on the policy.

I ride bikes, when I can.

March 12, 2014, 5:04 p.m.

just switched my insurance from cooperators to td as they're less than 1/2 the price.
biggest difference is no need for a seperate rider for my bikes as the TD platinum plan includes bikes up to $6000.

Is this only for detached? Do you require an account with them?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 12, 2014, 5:19 p.m.

Is this only for detached? Do you require an account with them?

good for attached as well and you don't require an account. however part of the reason for the deal i got was for being in a high income bracket of $250K+ annual salary. two other things that helped was the amount of content insurance i was after was at $50K or less and i have discounts for post-seconday education and union association as well.

whatever someone's situation though i suggest checking them out as they have good rates and coverage. the best is no need for a special rider on bikes up to $6000 value.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 12, 2014, 5:55 p.m.

TD monnex is by far the leader as stated they will cover bikes without a special rider/subject up to $6k with their platinum plan. other coverage is equal or greater than the compertitors as well and the premiums are significantly lower $700 vs upto $1600. Still waiting to hear back from park. Thanks for the tip.

March 18, 2014, 1:11 p.m.

Just merged a couple more house insurance threads into this one.

(I'm in the process of getting quotes to see if I we can do better than our current provider.)

March 2, 2015, 9:16 p.m.

Old thread bump.

TD/Meloche Monex.

Anyone with the Platinum plan file a claim?

How were they to deal with?

How much of an increase in your rates after the claim?

Their quote is substantially less than our current house insurance plan.

(Will provide rep where I can.)

March 3, 2015, 12:26 p.m.

With TD do you get replacement cost (i.e. current equivalent model year) or depreciated value? I'm on BCAA now but the max is $4k per bike replacement cost without special riders. Since one of my bikes is used and I don't have the original receipt I am sticking with BCAA for now but good to know options.

March 9, 2015, 1:24 p.m.

With TD do you get replacement cost (i.e. current equivalent model year) or depreciated value? I'm on BCAA now but the max is $4k per bike replacement cost without special riders. Since one of my bikes is used and I don't have the original receipt I am sticking with BCAA for now but good to know options.

With the TD Platinum package, the limit is $6K per bike:
http://www.melochemonnex.com/en/residential/insurance_limitations

As for replacement vs. depreciated and bought new vs. bought used I'll ask both my wife and I have relatively expensive bikes that were bought used. That said the depreciated value would be about 1/3rd the replacement cost if we bought them new. Thanks for bringing up the point.