MEATengines 2022...

Aug. 22, 2022, 6:43 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

And long live purple ano...

Those levers are so delicious. I had an old set (not purple) that I ended up selling because I just don't have any cable-actuated brakes in my future (no regrets) but, BUT when I saw the purple ones... Oh My. The polished barrel adjusters are sweet-as too. Very nice.

Aug. 23, 2022, 2:41 a.m.

How good would they look on a polished bar on a Stainless Murmur / or other raw Al bike with other matching purple bits...

Aug. 23, 2022, 2:43 a.m.

Andrew - have you tried a set of Paul Klampers?  Is this something NSMB would review?

Aug. 23, 2022, 12:23 p.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Andrew - have you tried a set of Paul Klampers? Is this something NSMB would review?

At one time, years ago, Paul was supposed to send me a pair of Klamper calipers for review. I'd also lined up some compression-less housing to try with them for the best possible performance. It was a while back as I still owned Paul levers and I also had some sweet XTR v-brake levers from BITD and with it being a quick swap I had a whole series planned out. They never showed and he ghosted me like he was hoping for a career at MRP.

In hindsight, I'm very glad he didn't send them (so much so that I'm considering putting on Garth Brook's song Unanswered Prayers while I finish typing this reply). The Klampers are beautifully made and I think overall they're the best cable-actuated disc brake option you can buy (power, manufacturing quality, forever-value, setup). BUT, having now ridden them, if you gave me the choice between Klampers and a good budget hydraulic system - for mountain biking, on the North Shore - I'd take the hydros every day of the week. And I'll note that this assessment is shared by folks I know who have bought and love the Klampers.

I'd really, really like a pair of Klampers for my commuter (to use with my XTR levers) and appreciate the brakes immensely but it would have sucked to write a review saying, that for mountain biking in steep janky terrain, your money is much better spent on some totally-meh SRAM Guide R brakes or that the Paul's are positively blown away by the Magura MT Trail Sports.

------

It's funny to me that you asked because after commenting on those purple Paul levers I was thinking that as a smart dude who makes precision components I could totally envision Paul making hydraulic brakes. If they do I'd be very keen to buy a set. Especially if they come in Purple. Or maybe a timeless polished silver?

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on Aug. 23, 2022, 12:56 p.m., edited 6 times in total.
Aug. 23, 2022, 3:01 p.m.

in addition to the ergotec handlebars, are those polished shimano brakes?

to me they look better than any of Shimano's black or anodized grey finishes (especially  a good idea for crank arms that get half polished anyway)

Aug. 23, 2022, 3:35 p.m.

Posted by: taprider

in addition to the ergotec handlebars, are those polished shimano brakes?

to me they look better than any of Shimano's black or anodized grey finishes (especially  a good idea for crank arms that get half polished anyway)

Formula Cura. 

But you’re right, way better looking than anything Shimano makes.

Aug. 23, 2022, 5:47 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

At one time, years ago, Paul was supposed to send me a pair of Klamper calipers for review. I'd also lined up some compression-less housing to try with them for the best possible performance. It was a while back as I still owned Paul levers and I also had some sweet XTR v-brake levers from BITD and with it being a quick swap I had a whole series planned out. They never showed and he ghosted me like he was hoping for a career at MRP.

In hindsight, I'm very glad he didn't send them (so much so that I'm considering putting on Garth Brook's song Unanswered Prayers while I finish typing this reply). The Klampers are beautifully made and I think overall they're the best cable-actuated disc brake option you can buy (power, manufacturing quality, forever-value, setup). BUT, having now ridden them, if you gave me the choice between Klampers and a good budget hydraulic system - for mountain biking, on the North Shore - I'd take the hydros every day of the week. And I'll note that this assessment is shared by folks I know who have bought and love the Klampers.

I'd really, really like a pair of Klampers for my commuter (to use with my XTR levers) and appreciate the brakes immensely but it would have sucked to write a review saying, that for mountain biking in steep janky terrain, your money is much better spent on some totally-meh SRAM Guide R brakes or that the Paul's are positively blown away by the Magura MT Trail Sports.

------

It's funny to me that you asked because after commenting on those purple Paul levers I was thinking that as a smart dude who makes precision components I could totally envision Paul making hydraulic brakes. If they do I'd be very keen to buy a set. Especially if they come in Purple. Or maybe a timeless polished silver?

Hmm...yes and no. Riders have down the Downieville DH on Paul's Klampers no problem.

https://theradavist.com/gold-amidst-the-dust-a-hardtail-gallery-from-the-2019-downieville-classic/

To further add to that. Ridden the Fromme a few years ago while visiting parents with the Samurai with Avid BB-7's. Didn't bother me at all really. While Onteribble did down hill runs at Horseshoe and the rock pile that is Camp Fortune- used to run Canada Cup downhills there.  Non hydraulic didn't lessen the fun.

Run what works for you and to you what feels best.

Aug. 24, 2022, 5:31 a.m.

Formula Cura. 

But you’re right, way better looking than anything Shimano makes.

Correct - Cura 2.  Great brakes and relatively cheap.  Thanks Andrew for the pre purchase advice.

Aug. 24, 2022, 5:35 a.m.

Interesting.  It would be a very "bling" commuter and probably get stolen in a nanosecond.  

I think I will stick with my Cura 2s.

Aug. 24, 2022, 5:36 a.m.

I just saw https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/23225660/ .  He does some interesting FS frames as well.

Aug. 24, 2022, 7 a.m.

I just saw https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/23225660/ .  He does some interesting FS frames as well.

Very nice frames. I've day dream ordered a few of them! ;-)

Aug. 24, 2022, 1:17 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Very nice frames. I've day dream ordered a few of them! ;-)

Ditto - I like his short travel Shore Country (sorry I couldn't say the DC word on NSMB) bikes.  Maybe one day...

Aug. 24, 2022, 2:09 p.m.

Very clean looking setup.

Aug. 24, 2022, 2:16 p.m.

Interesting.  It would be a very "bling" commuter and probably get stolen in a nanosecond.  

I think I will stick with my Cura 2s.

The Cura 2 is undoubtedly a significantly better brake system for aggressive trail riding for modulation or power (WC DH proven as well). They're really not a complicated system either (Formula's master cylinders are very simple). 

------

Yeah, I should have said 'ATB' or 'gravel bike' instead. I use my V1 for transportation but I'm generally keeping it inside at work. We'll see if it's an issue double locking it outside the library for when I sit there for work but it's the bike I own that's not V1. It's a bit flash, even with the rigid fork, to someone who knows bike parts even if it's all old parts (like 9-speed XTR). 

Certainly, I had considered trying to rehome V1 instead and building up a less fancy rig for getting around and pulling Claire. But the allure of stuff I had and the fact that life's too short to ride crappy bikes won me over.

Aug. 24, 2022, 8:02 p.m.

Cumberland water must be high octane; MEATengines has been moving fast lately! Perspectives was an interesting piece, but such a tease. Is there a chance we can get the deleted geometry content back somehow? I’m hoping it included geometry charts for the whole 3-model/6-size lineup. It’s the kind of work that encourages life to imitate art. :-)

On a related note, I preferred a longer chainstay setting on the hardtail for the suspension fork when switching from rigid. I’m not going to “chinbar argue” about it since there’s a sample-of-one issue, but I like where it puts the balance point for lifting the front wheel.

Last edited by: Blofeld on Aug. 24, 2022, 8:05 p.m., edited 1 time in total.