Seymour 2014 Conditions

May 3, 2014, 9:50 a.m.

IMO,if unsolicited help is of good quality,TAPpers should be grateful and perhaps try to work with the "rogue" builder.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier the other way around? Contact info is readily available to get in touch with the TAP team and help out whereas a line showing up on its own in the forest is pretty tough to work "with".

May 3, 2014, 9:51 a.m.

I was wondering when the dick swinging would start.

it's not about dick swinging, just an honest question.

if riding dale's is necessary to get to forever after and (edit - some? many?) the people who want to ride forever after have difficulty with sections of dale's then maybe there's a better option to get to forever after? does the flavour of dale's really mesh that well with FA?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 3, 2014, 10:15 a.m.

does the flavour of dale's really mesh that well with FA?

agreed. They should do something about that.

May 3, 2014, 10:21 a.m.

i actually don't know if it does as i've never ridden FA, simply going on comments/pics that have been shared here. i think it's indicative though of a need for a regional trails plan, ie if we do this one thing how does it affect everything else in relatively close proximity.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 3, 2014, 10:23 a.m.

Yeah make FA harder, more in line with Dales. (Dales was around first)

Lol

May 3, 2014, 10:23 a.m.

Great idea. Get involved or keep wondering until you read about it on the net.

(Root) :beer:

May 3, 2014, 10:27 a.m.

IMO,if unsolicited help is of good quality,TAPpers should be grateful and perhaps try to work with the "rogue" builder.

In my limited experience, I suspect each TAP builder has their own "vision" for the trail. Not to mention submitting plans to NSMBA and the land manager for the work that will be done, etc… Throwing working with rogue building into the mix doesn't help the situation.

As was said, not that hard to find out who the TAP builder for a trail is and offer help.

it's not about dick swinging, just an honest question.

if riding dale's is necessary to get to forever after and (edit - some? many?) the people who want to ride forever after have difficulty with sections of dale's then maybe there's a better option to get to forever after? does the flavour of dale's really mesh that well with FA?

i actually don't know if it does as i've never ridden FA, simply going on comments/pics that have been shared here. i think it's indicative though of a need for a regional trails plan, ie if we do this one thing how does it affect everything else in relatively close proximity.

Again, come out to the Town Hall meeting on the 13th…
http://nsmba.ca/content/2014-04_town-hall-meeting-may-13th

May 3, 2014, 11:38 a.m.

so i'd ask, then why even ride the trail? those rock faces and a couple other steeps sections are the main reasons to hit dale's at all.

i understand the need for a way to get to forever after though besides rolling down the powelines, so maybe cleaning up BP a bit from the top of severed would provide a route that is much more in line with what forever after offers.

I would disagree my man. I ride Dales for the whole trail not just for one or to moments of deep concentration. I would think that I'm not alone on this.The top ,while a little bombed out due to easier access, has a nice flow to it. The rocks are a great challenge, as is the lumpy last 1/4. I ride Dales for all of Dales. That said the one part i haven't ridden in the last 15 years is the rock face and the chunder root section after it. It bothers me not that I have to walk it but a ride around option is not entirely a bad thing particularly IF there are no plans to offer another alternative, skill appropriate connection to FA.

Is it counter productive to ride on my exercise bike with a cocktail in hand?

May 3, 2014, 12:28 p.m.

I would disagree my man. I ride Dales for the whole trail not just for one or to moments of deep concentration. I would think that I'm not alone on this.The top ,while a little bombed out due to easier access, has a nice flow to it. The rocks are a great challenge, as is the lumpy last 1/4. I ride Dales for all of Dales. That said the one part i haven't ridden in the last 15 years is the rock face and the chunder root section after it. It bothers me not that I have to walk it but a ride around option is not entirely a bad thing particularly IF there are no plans to offer another alternative, skill appropriate connection to FA.

that's fair and yes i would agree that you're not alone. i ride it for the whole trail as well, i just see those rock faces as the defining moments on the trail. i also agree that ride arounds are not always a bad thing, but considering this one is a braid more or less i wonder if it signals the eventual clawing back of the challenge on dale's. as riders with less experience/skill go down challenging sections of trail, the braids open up, the harder sections get chewed up and bombed out from dragging brakes and then things get fixed to an easier level.

the riding culture of "if you can't ride it, walk it" seems to be shifitng to just find a way to get down the trail no matter what and the solution seems to be just make it easier for people to get down the hill. should that happen for every trail?

Ellen Langer

May 3, 2014, 12:33 p.m.

Again, come out to the Town Hall meeting on the 13th…
http://nsmba.ca/content/2014-04_town-hall-meeting-may-13th

sure! care to pay me to take the night off from work to attend though?

or how about the idea of setting up a pod cast and online comment option for those who can't attend but want to add input to the conversation?

Ellen Langer

May 4, 2014, 9:40 a.m.

Ultimately it's up to the land manager but is the reroute even part of Metro Vancouver?

http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/maps/Maps/LSCRTrailMap.pdf

:canada:

May 4, 2014, 10:04 a.m.

Was After taste re routed because of steep sections. That was one of the excuses was it not?
Chicken routs around potentially body damaging sections is done on almost every trail.
If you build something with out permission………..keep it out of the forums.
Im just having some troll fun :):devil::fruit:

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

May 4, 2014, 12:28 p.m.

i rode severed for the first time in a while yesterday - its running great! the quagmire at the top is almost a pumptrack - and the clapped out sections below have been upgraded too, while the moves and tech stuff remain. brilliant work

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 4, 2014, 6:41 p.m.

that's fair and yes i would agree that you're not alone. i ride it for the whole trail as well, i just see those rock faces as the defining moments on the trail. i also agree that ride arounds are not always a bad thing, but considering this one is a braid more or less i wonder if it signals the eventual clawing back of the challenge on dale's. as riders with less experience/skill go down challenging sections of trail, the braids open up, the harder sections get chewed up and bombed out from dragging brakes and then things get fixed to an easier level.

the riding culture of "if you can't ride it, walk it" seems to be shifitng to just find a way to get down the trail no matter what and the solution seems to be just make it easier for people to get down the hill. should that happen for every trail?

Hard for me to argue against any of those points Sycro. I have not riden the go around. If it's truly braid, as I have been assured it is, then it must go until a better solution is found(there is one in the offing I have been told). Your post started a lengthy discussion amongst friends, over pints, about the points you raised. The culture of "if you can't ride it, walk it" was born at a time where there were no limits to any aspect of mountain biking. It was quite literally a matter of" Here's a bike, there's a mountain, lets see what we can do." The shore was the domain of a very limited number. A number that wanted to push those limits. We wanted to show the world what we were doing (Johnny Smoke even declared this in, NWD II I think it was).I shared that sentiment. This brought more people, money and problems to the table. Now the sport has grown. With all of that came a a larger group that had/has far less intrest in that mind set. Unfortunatly, much to the disgruntlement of those that do. I would like to add that the TAP program and the NSMBA have worked extremely hard to refurbish,repair and rejuvinate The Shore. I also believe that part of their plan is to maintain the harder trails when they complete the major work required on so many of the trails. I truly salute their tremendous efforts.
Last night we lamented the blurring?blending?reclassifing of some of the more dificult trails on The Shore. That said, we appreciated the need for the work. What we all hoped was that the that the "if you can't ride it, walk it" mentality would be honored. That mentality is a very large part of the history of The Shore and it's greater contribution to the sport of Mountain Biking. It behooves us to, in some way, honor that history. Not just in achival media but out in the woods. Should we fail to do so, we risk becoming stale. As community we have and continue to rail against stale. Our sport is about progression. From trail building to our equipment to our attitudes and dealings with all parties involed. By this token those trails that celebrate the opportunity to progress in the, "if you can't ride it, walk it" way should always have a place of reverence and permanence on our mountains.

sorry for carrying on.

Is it counter productive to ride on my exercise bike with a cocktail in hand?

May 4, 2014, 6:49 p.m.

Hard for me to argue against any of those points Sycro. I have not riden the go around. If it's truly braid, as I have been assured it is, then it must go until a better solution is found(there is one in the offing I have been told). Your post started a lengthy discussion amongst friends, over pints, about the points you raised. The culture of "if you can't ride it, walk it" was born at a time where there were no limits to any aspect of mountain biking…

I am not so certain it is a braid. There has been some nice rock work along with gold filled in other areas. Not complete but what parts are done it appears to be well done. But I will leave that for those in know to determine that.

I haven't been able to ride the rock face in a while, I don't mind the walk down, but it does kill a little of the flow and you miss a couple of other rock rolls before the toughest one.

All and all I would be happy if the ride around survives as it provides an option to two good sections of trail; one more difficult than the other. For those that have not tried the ride around give it a go, you might like it. If not, hike the bike back up and get rock face. All good.