Fromme 2014 Conditions

June 9, 2014, 7:47 a.m.

I thought it might have something to do with that parking lot they wanna put in? But shit place to put it.

That's where the parking lot is going so it would make sense to pile it in front of Natural High. They also just tore up Lonsdale the other day and have used that section of Mountain Highway as a temporary storage for torn up asphalt in the past. So I wouldn't get worried yet. When they start construction on the parking lot it will probably be a lot more dramatic then just a mysterious pile of asphalt. It will probably start more like this. "Does anyone know why there is a an excavator, 2 backhoes and a dump truck parked at the entrance to natural high?"

June 9, 2014, 2:14 p.m.

That's where the parking lot is going so it would make sense to pile it in front of Natural High. They also just tore up Lonsdale the other day and have used that section of Mountain Highway as a temporary storage for torn up asphalt in the past. So I wouldn't get worried yet. When they start construction on the parking lot it will probably be a lot more dramatic then just a mysterious pile of asphalt. It will probably start more like this. "Does anyone know why there is a an excavator, 2 backhoes and a dump truck parked at the entrance to natural high?"

Or… isn't this where Natural High used to be?

But that all aside, it'd be tough to be a resident of Mountain Hwy or 1 block off of it below Coleman… even with the most respectful of mtb'rs.

We hit Espresso for the first time since the new work. New lower entry great for keeping it within the new design scope, but nice to keep the high entry, so we could enter that way and the kids could roll in low.

Kids met Digger for their first time and he was as gracious as ever… thanking the kids for riding! The kids thanked him as well and my son felt like he had been graced by a God for the rest of the day. Didn't help that the kids loved the trail.

I forgot that Digger had a line of bars, stem, seats, etc from Joystick with some of the proceeds going his way.

June 9, 2014, 3:06 p.m.

anyone know why they dumped all the torn up asphalt right in front of natural high? Completely ruined the entrance and I'm not really sure why… The bridge was just rebuilt and there's nothing wrong with the trail.

I'll bet it's just a dump truck driver that has no clue that he dropped it in front of a trail, as pointed out the DNV has used the side of Mnt Hwy in that area in the past to drop stuff.

June 10, 2014, 5:44 a.m.

I'll bet it's just a dump truck driver that has no clue that he dropped it in front of a trail, as pointed out the DNV has used the side of Mnt Hwy in that area in the past to drop stuff.

I was wondering if that's what had happened. They've managed to make a pretty good mess of the start. Now it's a scree start

June 10, 2014, 1:24 p.m.

We hit Espresso for the first time since the new work. New lower entry great for keeping it within the new design scope, but nice to keep the high entry, so we could enter that way and the kids could roll in low.

the Latte entrance. I foresee the upper entrance becoming as unridden as the rest of old Expresso. Or is it Expresso and Espresso nowadays?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 10, 2014, 3:12 p.m.

the Latte entrance. I foresee the upper entrance becoming as unridden as the rest of old Expresso. Or is it Expresso and Espresso nowadays?

that was my favourite line though! :devil:

ironically, 8 out of 8 random people on my last ride, including me, chose the new entrance. You're right that the old line will moss over.

June 10, 2014, 3:19 p.m.

Funny… my typo, but too true. Espresso… softer and smoother than our regular Expresso.

June 10, 2014, 7:24 p.m.

that was my favourite line though! :devil:

ironically, 8 out of 8 random people on my last ride, including me, chose the new entrance. You're right that the old line will moss over.

I rode the old line :D The new one is nice too. Maybe they should give and early exit so we can try both. :banana:

June 17, 2014, 9:35 p.m.

So now that the St. Mary's climbing trail is complete (I think?) - what would a typical ride starting at this climb (parking in this area) look like? I usually find myself starting/finishing in the mountain highway area since this area seems to make the most logical sense in terms of starting/finishing based on the way the Fromme trail network is set up. I would like to try out the new climbing trail but I can't really map out a ride that efficiently uses the climbs/descents.

June 17, 2014, 10:13 p.m.

So now that the St. Mary's climbing trail is complete (I think?) - what would a typical ride starting at this climb (parking in this area) look like? I usually find myself starting/finishing in the mountain highway area since this area seems to make the most logical sense in terms of starting/finishing based on the way the Fromme trail network is set up. I would like to try out the new climbing trail but I can't really map out a ride that efficiently uses the climbs/descents.

I don't think it's done… I rode it but it ended at Baden Powell… So… your loops would be:

Mtn Hwy to Executioner -[HTML_REMOVED] Dreamweaver. about 1/2 the way down dreamweaver you cross "skid road". Its actually a tricky/technical crossing (there are a lot of various routes, but the skid road one is pretty noticeable), turn left on skid road and head up to Baden Powell, go East on Baden Powell across to Mountain Highway to complete the circle.

The first bit of Baden Powell is still quite technical… :)

June 18, 2014, 8:21 a.m.

Yeah, I've been wondering about that as well. I'm guessing it's just one small piece in the larger plan for the long-awaited climbing trail. It seems pretty pointless at this point in time (unless I've missed a piece of connecting trail…but I have a pretty good scout around on foot).

I'd love to see the map of the intended route up to the 6th….

Sent from my XT885 using Tapatalk

June 18, 2014, 9:04 a.m.

It's not a climb to the sixth. It's a reroute of the existing skid road trail which was a water eroded baby head mess, difficult to even hike without twisting an ankle.

June 18, 2014, 9:48 a.m.

Park down on the low point of Breamer.

Climb DB to BP then BP to Mountain Hwy. Climb Mountain Hwy.

Ride down Ladies/Pipeline/Expresso/Lower Oil Can then west on BP to DB. Down DB to St. Mary's.

Traverse St. Mary's to St. Mary's Extension. Climb St. Mary's Extension to Skid Road. Climb Skid Road Re-Route to the BP.

West on BP to middle Dreamweaver. Descend middle and lower Dreamweaver back to your car.

I'd say that is the best loop currently possible.

June 18, 2014, 11:41 a.m.

It's not a climb to the sixth. It's a reroute of the existing skid road trail which was a water eroded baby head mess, difficult to even hike without twisting an ankle.

(not to be a jerk…) but if this is the case, it seems to me like there was a whole lot of effort/hype around this new climbing trail, which seems relatively pointless to the majority of Fromme riders… unless I am missing something there?

June 18, 2014, 11:43 a.m.

I don't +rep jerks. :)