what's it going to take...

Nov. 25, 2008, 12:53 p.m.

ps: that said i was/am a member of the nsmba

I feel the same way, and I volunteered as an officer to try and change that image. It's a long uphill struggle, but rewarding at the same time. (I had to re-word this three times so I wouldn't corner myself into sounding preachy or like I was guilt tripping). :)

Nov. 25, 2008, 12:59 p.m.

An example of this being boycotting brands that dont support trail days, local shops that dont donate to you. These are very immature tactics to generate revenue.

how can the nsmba boycott anything? They don't buy bikes, parts or anything like that.

Nov. 25, 2008, 1:01 p.m.

well to be honest, from what ive seen. It seems the NSMBA has a very preachy self righteous attitude that i do not agree with. I agree being part of the trail association is mandatory for all users but many including myself are simply turned off supporting a group that looks at guilting users rather than informing them. If you took a more relaxed and open stance it may be a differant siuation. An example of this being boycotting brands that dont support trail days, local shops that dont donate to you. These are very immature tactics to generate revenue.

FLAME ON

Yeah…the NSMBA could take a more relaxed and open stance…but if that was done it would not have had a voice at the Cypress developement project; trail workers would not have tools; Rippers would not happen; trail days would not occur; trails under threat of closure/consolidation would not be fought for.

Karen.

I'm volunteering as fast as I can.

Nov. 25, 2008, 1:02 p.m.

This year Denise and I talked to the shop we ride lead for(Experience Cycling Maple Ridge) and had the club "rides" extended. For the months of November, December, January and February we take the kids out to do dirt work once a month. No bikes, no rewards, no free food, in the rain…just building. So far the kids love it and at least 1 of them has joined us for building on other trails on days where it is not an "event". My goal is to get a couple more into it and then there will be some young blood to take over.

There were a couple of "holdouts" but we talked to the parents and they jumped on board too. One of the holdouts is now a regular helper every weekend.

There are lots of shop clubs out there, if the organizations talk to the clubs and get a similar arrangement then there will be more and more younger energy out there on the trails…building the right way.

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek:

Nov. 25, 2008, 1:13 p.m.

well to be honest, from what ive seen. It seems the NSMBA has a very preachy self righteous attitude that i do not agree with.
FLAME ON

Can you provide an example of this?

Nov. 25, 2008, 1:24 p.m.

There is a place, the trail building forum on this board. I'd say 50% of my posts on this board are "working tomorrow @5:00 anyone interested come on out".

Have you ever met up with helpers because of posting?

I'm sure there are people out there that want to get involved and providing an easy to find and friendly opportunity is necessary to bring them in.

Richard

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Nov. 25, 2008, 1:48 p.m.

I met Ducati one time to help out cuz of a post on nsmb. Just saying…

Nov. 25, 2008, 2 p.m.

that's how I met Synchro

damn this place.

Nov. 25, 2008, 2:08 p.m.

i'm thinking of cutting a DH trail down the backside on burnaby mountain this winter….
would anyone wanna help? or is this a bad idea altogether?

Life's not a bitch, Life is a beautiful woman, you just call her a bitch cause she wont let you get that pussy.

Nov. 25, 2008, 2:13 p.m.

i'm thinking of cutting a DH trail down the backside on burnaby mountain this winter….
would anyone wanna help? or is this a bad idea altogether?

:lol:

Nov. 25, 2008, 2:13 p.m.

:lol:

that's pretty much what i expected

Life's not a bitch, Life is a beautiful woman, you just call her a bitch cause she wont let you get that pussy.

Nov. 25, 2008, 2:33 p.m.

that's how I met Synchro

damn this place.

hahah me too.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Nov. 25, 2008, 2:40 p.m.

I'm new to all this and I'm already getting disilutioned…way to go everyone. How about coming up with some positive solutions. Closing down trails may get people's attention but it may also cause people to think that the NSMBA has no control and, as such, won't want to donate or volunteer (why give to a lost cause). I see a lot of potential for improving things and am looking forward to the challenge. Maybe it's naivety or inexperience, but what the hell…I'm excited about it.

F-Train,
Don't get discouraged, get involved. Take this opportunity to help spin the NSMBA in a good light.

Evewrybody,
We have enough HATERS outside the mountain bike community, let's not turn this place into a slag fest as well. If you don't like the NSMBA, either get involved and do something to change things, or just do your own thing. Lots of builders are doing work on their own, without much, if any, help from the NSMBA, the only exception to this is getting Permits, which the NSMBA will help you with.

I don't want to sound like an a**hole, but BUCK UP, OR SHUT UP.

PS. I am not on the board with the NSMBA, just a member like most of you.

Nov. 25, 2008, 2:40 p.m.

that's how I met Synchro

damn this place.

I met TheDude.

Maybe a list of builders that are willing to take a helper out would be a good idea?

Richard

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Nov. 25, 2008, 2:50 p.m.

There are lots of shop clubs out there, if the organizations talk to the clubs and get a similar arrangement then there will be more and more younger energy out there on the trails…building the right way.

Corporate trail days was another initiative.

A few happened, MEC on Fromme, Norco on Seymour could have been others.

These are really great and should be as simple as possible.

The shop gets out the people, food and drink if they want, the NSMBA brought out some tools and expertise.

Again, these initiatives are time consuming.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter