what's it going to take...

Nov. 25, 2008, 12:32 a.m.

to get people involved with their local trail associations?

how is it that we live in mtb heaven yet have such a problem recruiting help to run an organization that plays a huge role in keeping the trails open and running?

if people aren't willing to get dirty or donate time, why won't more of them donate a day's pay towards keeping the trails open? if you can afford to ride a two, three, four thousand or more dollar valued bike surely you can afford to donate an amount equal to say the cost of a new tire each year.

it would be nice to get some serious answers to these questions. if we can then maybe we can find a way to help move things forward.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 25, 2008, 5:08 a.m.

because its human nature to take things for granted, like trail building and maintenance, and not realise the value (of the trails) until they have gone?

the other angle is that "assumption is the mother of all f*ckups" and people assume that someone else will take care of it…

"Trail Tax" (giving $50-100 a year) is an awesome idea ;)

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Nov. 25, 2008, 7:45 a.m.

I have given back, just about every time I go out I do a little some thing to maintain the trail. Ill be getting my association soon.:yinyang:

http://www.nsmba.bc.ca/index.php?option=com_content[HTML_REMOVED]task=blogcategory[HTML_REMOVED]id=19[HTML_REMOVED]Itemid=32

Live 2 Ride

Nov. 25, 2008, 7:50 a.m.

What Rob said.

Having an online donation 'box' might bring in a bit of revenue if you subtly remind people of it's existence. People generally don't donate to something if they don't know how or where to donate….

As for donating a days pay Vs riding expensive bikes….well both my bikes were bought in the UK and much as I ought to sell one to clear some debts, the price used bikes go for over here makes me want to cry….I'd rather sell me ass than part with my pimped out 853 steel hardtail for the equivalent of

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 25, 2008, 8:40 a.m.

education.

people who read NSMB and actually know what NSMBA does are in the minority.

Nov. 25, 2008, 8:45 a.m.

so how do we educate these people?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 25, 2008, 8:57 a.m.

I think getting the shops behind the associations would be the easiest way to spread the word. Running a shop is not a way to get rich and a lot of the shops can't afford cash. In the Valley, we are trying to come up with ways that treats the small and large shops equally, without taking money away from the struggling shop owners. The shops and their employees, in my opinion, are a huge untapped resource for spreading the word and getting a larger support base.

In talking with a lot of riders and shop owners there seems to be a consensus that even if they are not involved the trails and sales will continue. I think this shows that the associations have not put enough value on their existance. That really needs to change. How? Like the NSMBA, the FVMBA is looking for the same answer. Perhaps the associations should work together and become a province wide trail group. Everyone keeps their own identity but are included within the much larger one.

All the trail groups have successes and failures, sharing these within a group might help other groups and therefore strengthen us all.

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek:

Nov. 25, 2008, 8:58 a.m.

The NSMBA AGM opened my eyes to the amount of help needed, especially behind the scenes (i.e. not trail related). Before the AGM I was under the impression that all was running smoothly. I have since pledged to volunteer and hope others will do the same. I guess it goes back to the whole communication thing…if people don't know the NSMBA needs help they'll assume all is OK.

Nov. 25, 2008, 8:59 a.m.

It sounds lame, but a great job for a vollie (no i'm not volunteering) would be to stand at the entrance to CBC with some signage and trail building paraphanalia (to grab attention) on a busy sunday explaining what nsmba does and how much help is needed.

Also, the trail days are excellent advertisement in that vein, and maybe a little more advertising in the local media would help as well.

Nov. 25, 2008, 10:02 a.m.

Also, the trail days are excellent advertisement in that vein, and maybe a little more advertising in the local media would help as well.

If there were more trail days I think that would help. The club could get donations and if a bike shop is there they get advertising.

Trail days are fun and make an easy way to break the ice and get people involved.

Just my thoughts,
Richard

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Nov. 25, 2008, 10:22 a.m.

so how do we educate these people?

people are never going to step up when the status quo seems so great. maybe some trail closures would be good. close something like CBC all of next year and say it's because there's not enough resources to fix it. bet ya that would get people donating money just so that they can ride their "favorite" trail again.

remember how it takes something like the threat of Fromme closing to get people off their asses? otherwise apathy is far too strong. who wants to shuffle paper or haul rocks after working a real job all day?

Nechako, more trail days is very unlikely. when you've got the same 5 (or less) people running every single trail day they do like to have some weekends off, you know? maybe if more people stepped up to run the trail days this could be considered …

Nov. 25, 2008, 10:23 a.m.

Having more trail days is a tough one…in 2007 there were 11 or 12 (I think that is the number)I believe that was the most ever undertaken in one year; the organization behind it was huge; Dieter and Sven were pretty tired by the end of the season. The volunteer numbers dropped substantially towards the end as interested waned.

What is it going to take to incite action and participation? Trail closures.

Karen.

I'm volunteering as fast as I can.

Nov. 25, 2008, 10:27 a.m.

It sounds lame, but a great job for a vollie (no i'm not volunteering) would be to stand at the entrance to CBC with some signage and trail building paraphanalia (to grab attention) on a busy sunday explaining what nsmba does and how much help is needed.

I did this a few years ago on a trail day at the CBC lot I had most people brush me off like i was selling amway. one guy told me to fuck off, which was extra classy as I was with my two year old.

Personaly speaking though, Id rather spend my money on my own tools or my freinds tools than donate to NSMBA.

Is the NSMBA short cash anyway? I gather they are short volunteers not money.

Nov. 25, 2008, 10:29 a.m.

Seriously…. beer and pizza.

As a non-drinker, I'm fascinated by how you alcoholics are motivated by such a crap tasting drink. But it seems to get people out to meetings and events.

Secondly …. wind down the stuff the NSMBA does. You only have so many volunteers? Well then close down trails like CBC and give it a year or two of rest.

Closing down a few trails voluntarily will solve two problems: 1 - it will inform people that the NSMBA is stretched; which it is. 2. - it will give hurting trails a rest. 3 - it will give the volunteers a break. Don't pretend you have enough volunteer resources to keep doing what you're trying to do. Just stick to core events (like trail days on a limited number of trails). Do just a few things well instead of everything badly. Besides, it will give chris less excuses to not join me on pleasant rambles

Nov. 25, 2008, 10:29 a.m.

What is it going to take to incite action and participation? Trail closures.

Karen.

That's the best one for sure.

Another trail day option is to have mini-trail days.

There are a lot of individual builders out there and while most like to work by themselves I'm sure they'd appreciate help sometimes.

Work parties do get organized quite a bit on NSMB.com on Natural High and Boundary for example.

One option would be for all the trail builders to get together, figure out some labour intensive project on their trail set aside a date, post it and see who comes out.

This wouldn't be a big day, people bring their own tools, food water come out and give a builder a hand.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter