what's it going to take...

Nov. 25, 2008, 11:13 a.m.

80% of the work is done by 20% of the people.

I'm volunteering as fast as I can.

Nov. 25, 2008, 11:18 a.m.

I know builders are protective over their trails but if there was an area they could post a help needed notice I bet people would join in.

Richard

I would say it's more like many builders would rather work on their own or with their friends. If you're building for relaxation and the workout, basically, selfish reasons, then there is little to no reason to post invites on the internet for help.

Nov. 25, 2008, 11:19 a.m.

why not hire a paid administrator, what else does the NSMBA have to spend money on?

Nov. 25, 2008, 11:20 a.m.

why not hire a paid administrator, what else does the NSMBA have to spend money on?

that's what everyone wants to know …

Nov. 25, 2008, 11:22 a.m.

… motivated by such a crap tasting drink…..

serenity now, serenity now…

Nov. 25, 2008, 11:36 a.m.

Unfortunately I think many of the people that would volunteer are of my demographic. I am mid 30's, work 50+ hours a week, am on the executive board of my national professional association and have a young baby at home. I would love to put some time into the NSMBA (and in past year have put in a fair amount of time) but right now I just can't. I don't get to see my family enough as it is.

I am not trying to make excuses for myself, but I wonder how many people are in similar situations.

It's all about fun.

My Blog

Nov. 25, 2008, 11:38 a.m.

Unfortunately I think many of the people that would volunteer are of my demographic. I am mid 30's, work 50+ hours a week, am on the executive board of my national professional association and have a young baby at home. I would love to put some time into the NSMBA (and in past year have put in a fair amount of time) but right now I just can't. I don't get to see my family enough as it is.

I am not trying to make excuses for myself, but I wonder how many people are in similar situations.

As someone else said in another thread, we all realize this is the case for many people. Not everyone has time or desire to work on the trails.

If so, an annual donation would be appropriate.

Nov. 25, 2008, 11:46 a.m.

serenity now, serenity now…

Yah that's an awesome movie!

Kn..

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 25, 2008, 12:01 p.m.

as a full-time (and paid) trail builder I have found in the past 10 years of building that it is truly a handful that keep it all going…

in some ways its limiting in terms of what can done, in other ways its more effective because it cuts out all the BS and time wasting fixing bad work or having people f*ck about

it takes time to "train people up" and develop their skills so that its not just the master builder who ends up doing all the technical work whilst others stand around whistling

perhaps have each master builder on the North Shore adopt a couple of trails and train up volunteers to assist on their "patch" so that the trail building is spread across the entire trail network?

here at Esher Shore we are lucky to have a small site (3 acres of English woodland with 4 km of riding over 22 trails, plus a dirt jump park which is VERY time intensive to maintain) but its still a royal pain in the ass to keep it all running, and riders don't realise the huge input of time and material to keep it maintained and safe, let alone build new stuff to ride

I have just one buddy Jesus John who helps me out when he's off work, otherwise its me out there battling with the earth, timber and steel

I kinda like it that way, but its also somewhat daunting..especially in "leaf" season which has just passed

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Nov. 25, 2008, 12:26 p.m.

I know builders are protective over their trails but if there was an area they could post a help needed notice I bet people would join in.

Richard

There is a place, the trail building forum on this board. I'd say 50% of my posts on this board are "working tomorrow @5:00 anyone interested come on out".

Nov. 25, 2008, 12:32 p.m.

I've got a buddy that's been riding the NS for over 10 years, never had a clue what the nsmba is. It took 4 years of me badgering, hounding and guilting to get him to make a $20 donation. He even got a jersey in the mail for making it. You think I can get him to make it an annual thing? I just don't get it.

Nov. 25, 2008, 12:48 p.m.

well to be honest, from what ive seen. It seems the NSMBA has a very preachy self righteous attitude that i do not agree with. I agree being part of the trail association is mandatory for all users but many including myself are simply turned off supporting a group that looks at guilting users rather than informing them. If you took a more relaxed and open stance it may be a differant siuation. An example of this being boycotting brands that dont support trail days, local shops that dont donate to you. These are very immature tactics to generate revenue.

FLAME ON

WWW.BICYCLEROCKERS.COM

Nov. 25, 2008, 12:49 p.m.

ps: that said i was/am a member of the nsmba

WWW.BICYCLEROCKERS.COM

Nov. 25, 2008, 12:51 p.m.

I've got a buddy that's been riding the NS for over 10 years, never had a clue what the nsmba is. It took 4 years of me badgering, hounding and guilting to get him to make a $20 donation. He even got a jersey in the mail for making it. You think I can get him to make it an annual thing? I just don't get it.

This is the reason that I like new riders, you can impress upon them the importance of trail maintenance and the organisations behind the trails, and make it an integral part of them learning to ride the trails. The old crustys are usually the hardest to sway.

Nov. 25, 2008, 12:52 p.m.

An example of this being boycotting brands that dont support trail days, local shops that dont donate to you. These are very immature tactics to generate revenue.

that's a fairly serious accusation - got proof?