So FIS.......

Nov. 3, 2012, 12:32 p.m.

denied Lindsay Vonn the chance to race against the men at Lake louise.

"It's very clear," FIS secretary general Sarah Lewis told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "It's called the men's World Cup and the ladies' World Cup. The men race the men's World Cup and the ladies race the ladies' World Cup.

…..bets on who didn't want to get beat by a girl?

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 3, 2012, 2:56 p.m.

…..bets on who didn't want to get beat by a girl?

:lol:

Nov. 4, 2012, 6:51 a.m.

Do they not run the same course? I know they are on different days but can she not just compare her time? Sounds to me like another racer with a huge ego kicking female sport in the face.

Was she not offered a chance to prerun the course before the men and be able to compare her time? If she is so over competing with other women why would she care if she misses a race?

only 35 but still beat the 30-39 BC cup Champion 4 out of 6 races

Nov. 4, 2012, 8:43 a.m.

its a different course they run.

Nov. 4, 2012, 2:31 p.m.

another racer with a huge ego

if your google image search looked like this, you'd have an ego too.

Nov. 4, 2012, 4:43 p.m.

every run she'd get down that track , whether the course is set the same or not , would represent a big advantage she would have over her fellow female competitors .

i think the FIS should consider doing like a tournament style event where they bring all the different disciplines , both men and women to the same venue and create some more novel competitive approaches to the sport . for example you could have random or seeded draw , male / female pairing , combined time events . that way , you could have a " race within a race " in a format that might have a little extra entertainment value .

Nov. 4, 2012, 5:07 p.m.

its a different course they run.

It says in a couple of articles that the men and women's races in Lake Louise are on the same course … even to extent that if she did ski the men's race, she would be prohibited from the women's race the next weekend because of an FIS rule that you can't do 2 races on the same course within a week because it gives you a competitive advantage. The FIS should probably tread carefully anyway - at some point, some guy is going to sue the FIS to allow men to compete in women's races.

Nov. 4, 2012, 5:57 p.m.

While they may run the same course I would bet the men's course starts from higher up, I think they also run a NorAm race at LL while the nets are still up, my buddy works that race and he sez the WC is a good one to do because you don't have to plant miles of B-net like we did at whistler cuz its already all up

Note that at whistler where the men [HTML_REMOVED] womens course comes together is called the XY junction and LV doesn't have the right chromosomes, she should just keep winning races until she becomes a has-been and call it good

Nov. 4, 2012, 6:13 p.m.

She might beat some men but the ones new and still learning. She would not stand a chance agains the top guys…pointless either way. She is a woman and belongs in the womans world cup. However there are a few triathlons around the world where the women and men compete as one. The women get around a 12-15 minute head start. Winner takes all…this would also be a cool red bull event for skiing..

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Nov. 4, 2012, 7:12 p.m.

While they may run the same course I would bet the men's course starts from higher up,

They do have a shorter course length. Course set will be different as well as certain parts of the course will be changed. Back when the women's and men's world cup came to Whistler in a 2 weeke period. The course setter set it so the women came into sections like Hot Air with way less speed as the men's set.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 4, 2012, 7:16 p.m.

She might beat some men but the ones new and still learning. She would not stand a chance agains the top guys…pointless either way. She is a woman and belongs in the womans world cup. However there are a few triathlons around the world where the women and men compete as one. The women get around a 12-15 minute head start. Winner takes all…this would also be a cool red bull event for skiing..

Dave you know that when it comes to endurance and the bigger the distance the gap between men and women shrinks. Look up Chrissie Wellington marathon times. On some IM courses she is pretty close to the top men.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 4, 2012, 7:25 p.m.

Course set will be different as well as certain parts of the course will be changed. Back when the women's and men's world cup came to Whistler in a 2 weeke period. The course setter set it so the women came into sections like Hot Air with way less speed as the men's set.

yeah I figured that

The the whole thing generates publicity even tho there is no way FIS are going to let her run with the boys … she will just keep winning until she retires to do color commentary

Nov. 4, 2012, 7:28 p.m.

Well I think they should let her do it.

What's the worst that could happen? (Aside from a few broken egos)

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 5, 2012, 12:51 p.m.

Men's courses are often longer. At Whistler the women started at the top of the Weasel whereas the men started at the top of Dave Murray downhill where the Garbanzo chair ends. I checked last years LL results. If it's the same course Vonn won the two women's DH races with times of 1:51:35 and 1:53:19. Cuche won the single men's DH at 1:47:28. Last place in the men's race was 1:53:60. If Vonn's best time is used in the men's event last year she would have placed 64th out of 66. Case closed.

edit to add: My wife (self proclaimed knower of all things world cup) thinks that the men's start had been lowered for weather or snow conditions last year. I know that they had a snow making issue and that snow depth was minimal. I know because I am the adjuster for the cancellation insurance. She also said that when she raced there when she was on the BC team that the courses were similar but the men's was longer which is generally the case. Men's races are usually 2 to 2:30 long unless shortened for weather and women 1:30 to 2:00.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Nov. 5, 2012, 9:59 p.m.

if she wants to race against the men, then she's going to have to get a sex change operation. And I don't think she's going to do that, nor do I want her to. End of story.

ski faster, I hear banjo music