snowboard recommendations

Dec. 16, 2013, 10:34 a.m.

i've been skiing for about 30 years and have pretty much lost all interest in resort/downhill skiing. the natural progression would seem to be back country/touring, but my life isn't really set up for it right now

my 6 year old son loves downhill skiing and is progressing pretty quickly. after a few runs with him my eyes are bleeding from boredom… but i want to encourage and enable his interest as skiing meant a lot to me as a kid

so, thinking about picking up snowboarding this year, hoping the changes re inspires me a bit to get to the mountains. looking for recommendations for a snowboard (i know nothing) for a rank beginner who'll likely be staying on track but is in decent shape and a pretty advanced skier, iidssm

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 16, 2013, 12:57 p.m.

I might not be the best guy to give you advice as I dont follow snowboarding at all, I just like to walk around in the woods and make turns in powder.

given what you have told us, my advice would be to get a mid level all mountain twin. something fairly soft (forgiving)with a regular camber. every company should have something in their line up to work for you. if your not riding powder or at high speed you dont need something super long. no longer then 160 depending of height and weight. this should let you pay around with riding switch and hit the little jumps on the side of runs. basically tapping into your inner 6 year old.

don't go super cheep on boots and bindings. i would go with a mid flex boot. comfort is king for what you are looking for.

there are all sorts of weird trends (advancements?) like slider tracks, magnatraction, full rocker and bindings that pivot. you dont need any of this shit, half of it I dont know what it does.

buy a used board and bindings and new boots, might be my only real advice

some one else should have better advice then that.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Dec. 16, 2013, 1:09 p.m.

yup^

Dec. 16, 2013, 1:47 p.m.

I have a ton of gear with some nice used boards, bindings, boots, etc…

As an experienced skiier who transitioned to boarding, you will progress very quickly so don't buy beginner equipment. The length of board depends on your weight and the width of board depends on your boot size. Binding size will depend on your boot size. PM me if you want.

Dec. 16, 2013, 2:09 p.m.

As an experienced skiier who transitioned to boarding, you will progress very quickly so don't buy beginner equipment.

If you are a good skiier, it will take you 3 days to learn to snowboard. The first 3 days, there will be a lot of crashing. You will get WORKED. There is a bit of catching edges and ragdolling involved in figuring out how to turn. It is much easier to ride, if you keep the board pointed down the hill, and ride with confidence and aggression. Riding hesitant and scared doesn't work.

How old are you? I'm not sure that I would want to be slamming 20X a day in my mid 30's. I'd prolly get some tele gear. Slow you down, learn something new with the grom, and be good for a back country trip here or there.

Dec. 16, 2013, 3:09 p.m.

Lib Tech makes some nice boards. Check out their Magna traction stuff, it turns really nicely in crappier conditions which might make your day a bit easier if it's not ideal soft snow..

So much fun. Do it

viperfunk.com

Dec. 16, 2013, 3:13 p.m.

i've been skiing for about 30 years and have pretty much lost all interest in resort/downhill skiing. the natural progression would seem to be back country/touring, but my life isn't really set up for it right now

my 6 year old son loves downhill skiing and is progressing pretty quickly. after a few runs with him my eyes are bleeding from boredom… but i want to encourage and enable his interest as skiing meant a lot to me as a kid

so, thinking about picking up snowboarding this year, hoping the changes re inspires me a bit to get to the mountains. looking for recommendations for a snowboard (i know nothing) for a rank beginner who'll likely be staying on track but is in decent shape and a pretty advanced skier, iidssm

what about telemark

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Dec. 16, 2013, 3:34 p.m.

I did the same thing with my kids, its pretty eye opening being a beginner again.

Dec. 16, 2013, 3:50 p.m.

Snowboards are kind of useless if your only learning so you can teach your son to ski…what I mean is that if he falls and you're downslope from him, even a couple of feet…you'll have to unstrap and walk up the hill to help him get up. Then, by the time you will have strapped back in…he's probably fallen over again. There's also no poles to help you out and there's no sidestepping back up the slope a few feet.

Just my .02 but alot of my snowboarder friends swap to ski's for days they have to teach their kids to ski because it's just too frustrating for the kids to be tangled in a pile of skis, poles and legs while dad undoes his bindings and walks back up the hill, so like others have said maybe consider tele skis?

Dec. 16, 2013, 6:20 p.m.

Snowboards are kind of useless if your only learning so you can teach your son to ski…what I mean is that if he falls and you're downslope from him, even a couple of feet…you'll have to unstrap and walk up the hill to help him get up. Then, by the time you will have strapped back in…he's probably fallen over again. There's also no poles to help you out and there's no sidestepping back up the slope a few feet.

Just my .02 but alot of my snowboarder friends swap to ski's for days they have to teach their kids to ski because it's just too frustrating for the kids to be tangled in a pile of skis, poles and legs while dad undoes his bindings and walks back up the hill, so like others have said maybe consider tele skis?

THIS^^^^^

As a 25 year skier , and someone who has tried snowboarding a half dozen times. Use a set of wrist guards when you try it out.
Personally i found myself catching an edge and SLAMMING down face ,(hands) first a lot. Skiing you seldom bail face first .

Dec. 16, 2013, 8:39 p.m.

As a 25 year skier , and someone who has tried snowboarding a half dozen times. Use a set of wrist guards when you try it out.
Personally i found myself catching an edge and SLAMMING down face ,(hands) first a lot. Skiing you seldom bail face first .

yes. But I worry about pulling (seperating?) a groin muscle or blowing a knee any time I'm on any sort of skis so..

When I was learning to snowboard I vividly remember catching an edge and scorpioning so hard I knocked the back of my head with the edge of my snowboard with such force I was seeing stars for a few minutes. Double whammy of totally fuxxored back and a good ringer :lol:
I'm so happy that was a long time ago, I wouldn't be happy if that happened now

Dec. 16, 2013, 9:17 p.m.

wow, thanks for all of the thoughts and advice

buy a used board and bindings and new boots, might be my only real advice

this is now the plan. morgan is lending me his board and i'm due a pair of boots for xmas

As an experienced skiier who transitioned to boarding, you will progress very quickly so don't buy beginner equipment.

good to know, and a good reason not to buy a board yet

How old are you? I'm not sure that I would want to be slamming 20X a day in my mid 30's.

mid 30's, built like a twig. not looking forward to all of the crashing. maybe i should wear knee pads and stuff?

what about telemark

its a good idea, but i already have a beard, like craft beer and drive a delica. not sure how many additional hipster trappings i can take on without getting stuff thrown at me

Snowboards are kind of useless if your only learning so you can teach your son to ski…

definitely considered this last year, but after a month of lessons and few days on the hills the little dude is going pretty good on his own. its more about staying at his speed without getting bored

Use a set of wrist guards when you try it out.

that sounds like a good idea…

When I was learning to snowboard I vividly remember catching an edge and scorpioning so hard I knocked the back of my head with the edge of my snowboard with such force I was seeing stars for a few minutes.

and a helmet. jesus, i'm going to look like a f'n stormtrooper

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 16, 2013, 9:22 p.m.

and a helmet. jesus, i'm going to look like a f'n stormtrooper

plz post pics when this happens.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 16, 2013, 9:45 p.m.

I can't remember what size your head is but I have a barely worn snow helmet that will up your hipster points mega, and I do think you should wear knee pads like the 661s or whatever.

flickr

Dec. 16, 2013, 10:58 p.m.

Not sure how much you weigh, but Im going to say look for a directional twin, all-mountain (if that still exists in shred) board.

If you've got nice custom ski boot liners try to use those and you'll hate life less, pretty sad that good snowboard boots are ~$300

Indulge your inner capitalist, by taking part in some up coming Boxing Day Sales.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.