NSMB Cumberland Meet Up - 2023 Event Archive

May 31, 2023, 4:35 p.m.

I was planning both rides Sat & Sun in the Cumberland trails. Partially as they are easy bike access from the campground and partially because they offer the most options/flexibility once we see who is there and what fitness/skills we've got to work with.  If it suits the group I've got no issues riding Forbidden Sunday instead of the Cumby trails.

May 31, 2023, 5:38 p.m.

I just wanted to put it out there as an option but don't want to hijack any plans. I'll wait to see who else chimes in for a Friday afternoon ride. For Sunday I'm flexible and happy to wait and see how people feel after the Saturday ride.

Disclaimer: I've only just started figuring out myself which Forbidden trails are rideable post-logging and how to link up some of the good stuff but I'm happy to show what I've found.

May 31, 2023, 6:50 p.m.

We'll be showing up at mid day (traffic / ferry dependent) on the 9th / Friday anyways so likely no time for a ride that day, probs just set up shop, have a few brews, explore and hit the lake with the kiddo :)

June 1, 2023, 8:13 a.m.

I was hoping to make it Vic but my daughters birthday is on the 10th. I was potentially going to take the 8 am over on Sunday but don’t think its in the cards.

Last edited by: PowellRiviera on June 1, 2023, 8:14 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 1, 2023, 12:23 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

I just wanted to put it out there as an option but don't want to hijack any plans. I'll wait to see who else chimes in for a Friday afternoon ride. For Sunday I'm flexible and happy to wait and see how people feel after the Saturday ride.

Disclaimer: I've only just started figuring out myself which Forbidden trails are rideable post-logging and how to link up some of the good stuff but I'm happy to show what I've found.

We're taking the first ferry out of HS bay on Friday morning. Should be in Cumberland before noon. Definitely plan to ride somewhere that day.

June 2, 2023, 6:09 a.m.

Posted by: PowellRiviera

I was hoping to make it Vic but my daughters birthday is on the 10th. I was potentially going to take the 8 am over on Sunday but don’t think its in the cards.

Understood. Feel free to come over some other time if you like and we'll ride. I will try and hit up PR with you sometime this summer as well and enjoy the guided ride experience. ;-)

I'll organize another NSMB Forum Member Cumby Campout for 2024 and see if we can get some momentum with more lead time.

June 2, 2023, 6:38 a.m.

Posted by: skooks

We're taking the first ferry out of HS bay on Friday morning. Should be in Cumberland before noon. Definitely plan to ride somewhere that day.

Since you are coming up from Nanaimo Hammerfest is on the way and a lot of fun to ride. I'll be at the campground around 4pm Friday. I'll be the campsite with the bike with all the fenders and bags. ;-)

June 2, 2023, 7:29 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Since you are coming up from Nanaimo Hammerfest is on the way and a lot of fun to ride. I'll be at the campground around 4pm Friday. I'll be the campsite with the bike with all the fenders and bags. ;-)

So many riding options!

@skooks, DM me by Wednesday if you want to meet up on Friday afternoon for a Cumby or Forbidden ride. I was just thinking if it's going to be hot, Forbidden may not be ideal since the logging road climb is exposed to the sun pretty much the whole way up. More shade in Cumby. Also the brewery is much closer! Up to you. If you decide to ride Hammerfest on the way up that's fine too and I'll meet you guys on Saturday and/or Sunday.

June 2, 2023, 12:10 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

So many riding options!

@skooks, DM me by Wednesday if you want to meet up on Friday afternoon for a Cumby or Forbidden ride. I was just thinking if it's going to be hot, Forbidden may not be ideal since the logging road climb is exposed to the sun pretty much the whole way up. More shade in Cumby. Also the brewery is much closer! Up to you. If you decide to ride Hammerfest on the way up that's fine too and I'll meet you guys on Saturday and/or Sunday.

Sounds great Niels, I will talk to you next week. Looking forward to riding with you!

June 2, 2023, 12:11 p.m.

Yeah for sure, that is a fun zone. We may hit it on our way home on Sunday. Can you recommend any other riding spots between Cumberland and Nanaimo?

Last edited by: skooks on June 2, 2023, 12:11 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 2, 2023, 1:01 p.m.

Yeah for sure, that is a fun zone. We may hit it on our way home on Sunday. Can you recommend any other riding spots between Cumberland and Nanaimo?

Cook Creek is one option near Cumberland. There is lots of riding right at Nanaimo, but I'm not familiar with those trails so I'd just send you to Trailforks.

June 2, 2023, 5:13 p.m.

Cool thanks Vik. I've had a few recommendations for Cook Creek

June 2, 2023, 6:47 p.m.

There is also so much riding right in the Cumby area you can't [reasonably] hit it all even in 3 days.

June 2, 2023, 7:40 p.m.

There is also so much riding right in the Cumby area you can't [reasonably] hit it all even in 3 days.

Haha, yeah. Not worried about running out of trails. Riding with locals makes it even better.

June 3, 2023, 8:07 a.m.

Cook Creek is one option near Cumberland. There is lots of riding right at Nanaimo, but I'm not familiar with those trails so I'd just send you to Trailforks.

Cook Creek is fun to check out but it's very small.

I haven't ridden in the Nanaimo area yet either but was recommended this by Mammal in another thread:

Meat Draw then connection to Roller Coaster is a good tech-to-flow buffet on South Benson. Bit of a hike to get into Meat Draw, but very worth it.