What is to come from COVID-19

Jan. 29, 2024, 10:19 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

If an armed group took over the border by force I would not be surprised, but that is hardly a protest.

What do you think happened at the Coutts crossing? They were armed and ramming cop cars with their trucks.

Jan. 29, 2024, 10:21 a.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

What do you think happened at the Coutts crossing? They were armed and ramming cop cars with their trucks.

And did this happen?

If a group of armed climate activists, idle no more or BLM had attempted to occupy and disrupt border crossings in any way there's little doubt in my mind they would have been fired upon with live ammo.

Jan. 29, 2024, 10:26 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

And did this happen?

If a group of armed climate activists, idle no more or BLM had attempted to occupy and disrupt border crossings in any way there's little doubt in my mind they would have been fired upon with live ammo.

Of course not, they were white, conservative anti-vaccine protesters not BLM, idle no more or climate activists. That was my point.

Right wing protests always get treated way more gently than any left wing protests but they can't accept that because they need to force the narrative that the rich conservative white man is the most oppressed demographic in society. No left wing protest in Canadian history has ever been even half as disruptive as the freedom convoy but have still been stomped, gassed and kettled.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Jan. 29, 2024, 10:27 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 29, 2024, 11 a.m.

Of course not, they were white, conservative anti-vaccine protesters not BLM, idle no more or climate activists. That was my point.

Right wing protests always get treated way more gently than any left wing protests but they can't accept that because they need to force the narrative that the rich conservative white man is the most oppressed demographic in society. No left wing protest in Canadian history has ever been even half as disruptive as the freedom convoy but have still been stomped, gassed and kettled.

I don't mind agreeing that left leaning type protests can get rougher treatment from police, but I can't think of Canadian police shooting into a crowd of protesters like you suggested. 

What is definitely ironic is that right leaning people, particularly those further to the right, often laugh/jeer/support the hard treatment that can get doled out to left leaning protesters but when they come under the same scrutiny themselves they piss and moan to no end about loss of freedom and free speech rights. That's a great example of privileged people being a bunch of cry babies.

Jan. 29, 2024, 2:05 p.m.

I don't mind agreeing that left leaning type protests can get rougher treatment from police, but I can't think of Canadian police shooting into a crowd of protesters like you suggested. 

This is what I was trying to say.  One of the main reasons to trucker protest got so out of hand was the kid glove treatment they got in the beginning, I won't deny that, but the RCMP have never opened fire on protesters.  In the case of Coutts they weren't brandishing weapons and they didn't occupy the border, they blocked the road.  

Now if a BLM group was responsible for Jan 6th it might be more like FO description, but that is different.

Jan. 29, 2024, 2:09 p.m.

This is what I was trying to say.  One of the main reasons to trucker protest got so out of hand was the kid glove treatment they got in the beginning, I won't deny that, but the RCMP have never opened fire on protesters.  In the case of Coutts they weren't brandishing weapons and they didn't occupy the border, they blocked the road.  

Now if a BLM group was responsible for Jan 6th it might be more like FO description, but that is different.

Other than the rubber bullets used on the enviro-hippies at the G20 protests.  Man if only they knew back then that they could simply lay siege to an entire city for weeks on end with impunity.

Jan. 29, 2024, 3:15 p.m.

What is definitely ironic is that right leaning people, particularly those further to the right, often laugh/jeer/support the hard treatment that can get doled out to left leaning protesters but when they come under the same scrutiny themselves they piss and moan to no end about loss of freedom and free speech rights. That's a great example of privileged people being a bunch of cry babies.

I mean yeah it's all unknown because we've never really had a proper armed protest in Canada other than Oka but I'm pretty sure they shot at each other a bit at that one. Not sure of the details.

Jan. 29, 2024, 4:47 p.m.

I mean yeah it's all unknown because we've never really had a proper armed protest in Canada other than Oka but I'm pretty sure they shot at each other a bit at that one. Not sure of the details.

The Quebec provincial police totally made a mess of things - mostly due to arrogance imo.

https://www.rcinet.ca/en/2018/07/09/on-this-day-shooting-death-police-indian-canada-history-july-11-1990-the-crisis-and-death-at-oka/

Jan. 30, 2024, 11:11 a.m.

Figured this was just an exaggeration to make a point. No argument that it would have been a disproportionate response. 

Just the same, point made, and it's a good one.

Jan. 30, 2024, 8:09 p.m.

I would be leery of anything related to current Minister of Defense Bill Blair and his opinions on things. For those who forget he was as Chief of TPS in charge of security and such for the 2010 Toronto G20. And last I checked he has avoided answering any questions related to things done there. Including what happened to one person in particular.

Feb. 1, 2024, 3:25 p.m.

Posted by: Putty

What’s false about it? 

The Euro farmers are causing much more disruption than the truckers did. They are spraying manure on govt buildings and starting tire fires. 

Yet, I don’t see one Police horse knocking down old ladies.

What's driving the protests - what are they about and what's the ideology surrounding them? How long have the protest lasted? How are they causing more disruption, due to the length of time or the number of protesters?

Do you believe the mounted police went into the crowd thinking let's look for old ladies to knock down? Have their been any injuries in Germany? Is it unreasonable that a protestor might get injured when police are trying to clear a crowd who refuses to leave?

I think the comparison between the farmers protests and the Ottawa protests ends at both of them being called protests.

Ehrmagerd...terrorists!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/europe-farmers-protests-grievances-1.7101704

Feb. 1, 2024, 3:28 p.m.

If an armed group took over the border by force I would not be surprised, but that is hardly a protest.

There were like, 4 preppers in a house near coutts (absolute backwater alberta "town") with a shitload of guns. Same mentality on the other side of that border crossing btw.