Scotch

Dec. 17, 2011, 7:34 p.m.

Nsmb shitheads, I humbly propose the following challenge:
Find the best scotch for under 50$. Then drink it like you like it

Dec. 19, 2011, 12:15 p.m.

Let us know how you like it.

A nosing glass is ideal for tasting Scotch but a small wine glass will help to concentrate the aromas and make it easier to pick them out. Try it neat and also try it with a teaspoon of water to see how it breaks up the oils and opens it up.

No ice! :D

I've had a chance to try it a few times now. First I tried it neat and I had to admit it was far better than my previous scotch attempts. The smell is just amazing and I can pick out a few different smells that people talk about. But when I taste it I cant distinguish the different tastes. I did find it much smotther than I was expecting though.

Adding a touch of water definitely changes the flavours to jump out at me. And makes it a little easier to drink I find. But I still cant really pin point all the different flavours yet. I'll keep working on it until I can.

Dec. 19, 2011, 1:27 p.m.

That's the spirit!!

OMFG wotta great pun!

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Dec. 19, 2011, 2:06 p.m.

I've only seen a few comments on adding water. I've read some info on adding a small amount and obviously its a personal thing, but is it a better move with certain types of scotch? I've always been adamantly opposed to violating my scotch with ice or water.

I used to keep a bottle at work, until while enjoying an end of the week scotch, the office douche bag cruised into my office and announces 'it tastes better with water' and proceeded to douse my scotch. Blamo! - cockpunch. Maybe this is the source of my opposition….

Dec. 19, 2011, 2:12 p.m.

Generally, it's personal. I rarely add water, but best advice is to try without water first, then add a dribble at a time until you find what works best for you. If too much water goes in, it's impossible to remove it, nein?

If you add water, the amount will differ with every one you try. Most Scotch is watered anyway from cask strength (usually 50-60%) down to about 46%. Some bottles are labeled "cask strength" so you're more likely to want some H2O with these.

For best results, keep some distilled water around so you don't colour the flavours of the Scotch with the minerals or chlorination of the tap water.

Kn.

Dec. 19, 2011, 3:11 p.m.

Everybody has their own preference and some just prefer to drink expensive scotches. I will humour you though.

While not a scotch, I've found that Forty Creek's Barrel Select, a Canadian Whisky, to be an incredible value (25 for 750 ml) and of great taste, it is certainly up there with the best entry level blended whiskys.

I had the opportunity to attend a tasting with the distiller about a month ago at Chez Michel's on esplanade and was surprised at the amount of international recognition that it has received.

If you want to spend a bit more and stay under 50, you should try the Aberlour 10 which is ~$49.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Dec. 19, 2011, 5:27 p.m.

Everybody has their own preference and some just prefer to drink expensive scotches. I will humour you though.

While not a scotch, I've found that Forty Creek's Barrel Select, a Canadian Whisky, to be an incredible value (25 for 750 ml) and of great taste, it is certainly up there with the best entry level blended whiskys.

I had the opportunity to attend a tasting with the distiller about a month ago at Chez Michel's on esplanade and was surprised at the amount of international recognition that it has received.

If you want to spend a bit more and stay under 50, you should try the Aberlour 10 which is ~$49.

Forty Creek is a great rye. Not as complex as a Single Malt, but still a good drink. I first heard about it on a recommendation from Noel Buckley, who likes him some scotch…

Dec. 19, 2011, 5:27 p.m.

Since you're "the scotsman" I'll assume some familiarity on your part, but doesn't the geographic lowlands region differ a bit from the Scotch whisky lowlands region? I believe the map you linked shows the geographic, while most "whisky" maps match my earlier link, such as this other one;

http://www.masterofmalt.com/region/lowland-whisky/

All the sites that I've checked show the highland/lowland whisky region boundary pretty close to Edinburgh, not extending round to Aberdeen and almost all the way to Inverness. Meh … no thang. Goooo Aberrrdeeen!

Kn.

You could be right about there being a difference and there definitely won't be any hard boundaries in that sense since so much of it is based on water conditions. I would have for sure said it goes north of Edinbrugh a bit, at least as far as Perth. I would also have thought the Aberdeen area was more Speyside than Highland. That said, I would also have thought Pitlochry was more Lowland and that is Highland on both maps… So I could be way off base.

Dec. 19, 2011, 5:39 p.m.

I've only seen a few comments on adding water. I've read some info on adding a small amount and obviously its a personal thing, but is it a better move with certain types of scotch? I've always been adamantly opposed to violating my scotch with ice or water.

I used to keep a bottle at work, until while enjoying an end of the week scotch, the office douche bag cruised into my office and announces 'it tastes better with water' and proceeded to douse my scotch. Blamo! - cockpunch. Maybe this is the source of my opposition….

Generally, it is personal. Especially to a new drinker certain Scotches are going to be overpowering without some water and even to a seasoned drinker you could be losing some of the flavour to the alcohol. Best to use distilled or bottled water (Canadian tap water has a lot of chlorine which will alter what you should be tasting).

The theory behind not using ice is three fold: first it melts slowly so the dilution is inconsistent, second most ice is from tap water so the chlorine effect comes into play and third, the cold hides a lot of the flavour. You can buy scotch rocks which will cool the whisky without diluting.

Like I said, it is personal preference. Though there does come a point where you are defeating the purpose. Personally, I always put water in mine.

Dec. 19, 2011, 7:03 p.m.

I would also have thought Pitlochry was more Lowland and that is Highland on both maps… So I could be way off base.

Oh now there's a name I haven't heard for a while. Visited Edinburgh for a few days a couple years ago and rented a car for a day just so I could check out the Blair Athol and Edradour distilleries in the Pitlochry area. Had lunch at a great little pub in town.

Kn.

Dec. 20, 2011, 10:34 a.m.

Oh now there's a name I haven't heard for a while. Visited Edinburgh for a few days a couple years ago and rented a car for a day just so I could check out the Blair Athol and Edradour distilleries in the Pitlochry area. Had lunch at a great little pub in town.

Kn.

Edradour is amazing. Great place to visit and the have some fantastic bottles of Whisky.

Dec. 22, 2011, 8 a.m.

I like my Scotch neat. And Ive read the arguments against ice cubes. So I see why these would be an improvement..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GZX2DE/?tag=047-20

But they would still kill the flavor since theyre cold, no? Or do they have some magical physical properties that I dont know about?

Dec. 22, 2011, 9:34 a.m.

yep, they would still dull down the flavours and aromas by chilling it.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Dec. 22, 2011, 10:01 a.m.

Bushmills Irish whiskey is my regular go to. Its great for a daily drinker. If you wanna get fancy (and I think still stay under 50), you can go for the black bush.

Dec. 22, 2011, 10:53 a.m.

Bushmills Irish whiskey is my regular go to. Its great for a daily drinker. If you wanna get fancy (and I think still stay under 50), you can go for the black bush.

I have never tried Bushmill, got to get a bottle.

If its under $50 then it's bourbon…Woodford Reserve is my go to daily drinker.