Jetta TDI/Golf TDI. Yay or Nay?

April 8, 2013, 11:16 p.m.

Wish the tiguan came tdi and 5spd/ Well thats not true cause i probably wouldn't buy one anyways, but it would be cool if it did.

But that would involve thinking. Toyota and Honda make a few hybrids, but they don't do them in their small SUVs, where it would make a lot of sense. You aren't going rally racing with these little SUVs - you just want some space and something that'll lug up hills with a full load. 2L diesel would be awesome. And with the new transmissions, the like the VW DSG, automatics help deliver great fuel economy and give a sporty/smooth ride.

I like the Passat, but also like the new Accord (DFI engine and CVT transmission is rated at something like 34/50 mpg). It might be capable of going 1000K on a tank, at slow highway speed, through Saskatchewan.

As for the OP, practicality is a good thing to have if you're not constantly driving by yourself. The new Jetta looks great, as does the Golf wagon.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 9, 2013, 3:17 a.m.

tiguan is already made in 2.0TDI/6spd manual or DSG. they just have to start importing it to NA.

to answer to the OP's question: the early CR (common rail) 2.0 TDI engines had some reliability issues, that enraged the buyers even more since the predecessor (the 1.9 PD TDI) was so reliable. They seem to have sorted the issues by now and I don't hear as much complaints since 2011. Keep in mind that where I live roughly 70% of all VWs, Audis, Seats and Skodas are sold as diesels. And all those cars share the same 140 HP 2 liter TDI.

April 9, 2013, 7:33 a.m.

Looking forward to it! I still have sellers remorse after I sold my stage 2 STI when I moved back from Calgary. I need some redemption. The Malone tune itself is a great value, but few choices exist for down pipes. So a DP, DPF and EGR delete are insanely expensive. It would also need suspension tuning and wheel/rubber to deal with the freaky torque. And then a clutch……

If you plan on keeping the car, then a few of these mods are well worth it. Get the larger tune, and grin.

The DP and EGR delete aren't worth it. Stock exhaust is 2.25" which is large enough to accommodate up to 180hp (which you won't achieve unless you plan on doing a LOT of mods). Same with larger inter coolers - not needed until you are in the 200hp range.

Add a larger turbo, 3 bar, suspension, and clutch. About 3 grand before the tune. Even then, not sure the suspension would have to be done right away.

April 9, 2013, 9:01 p.m.

The current TDI is a totally different beast than previous iterations. Very quiet, no smell, no smoke, and gobs of power (140hp, previous was 95 I believe?)

I have a 2012 Golf TDI and love it. Very torquey. A friend with a 2012 GTI is jealous of my car's power during city driving. Mileage isn't amazing but it's good (about 6.0 L/100 on average, 75% highway 25% city)

April 9, 2013, 9:27 p.m.

The current TDI is a totally different beast than previous iterations. Very quiet, no smell, no smoke, and gobs of power (140hp, previous was 95 I believe?)

I have a 2012 Golf TDI and love it. Very torquey. A friend with a 2012 GTI is jealous of my car's power during city driving. Mileage isn't amazing but it's good (about 6.0 L/100 on average, 75% highway 25% city)

Mk3 and Mk4 had 90hp. They were relatively gutless, but smell wasn't too bad and no smoke either (if everything was kept in good working order). Fuel efficiency was much better for the older TDI's as well (less power, more fuel economy).

April 9, 2013, 9:37 p.m.

Mk3 and Mk4 had 90hp. They were relatively gutless, but smell wasn't too bad and no smoke either (if everything was kept in good working order). Fuel efficiency was much better for the older TDI's as well (less power, more fuel economy).

Not all MK4's had 90 hp. The Pump Duse BEW motors had either 100 or 105hp, most were found in 2004-5 models, though I think that was longer in the wagons and Beetle (up to 2006). The BEWs are really easy to step up power, as they were more or less the same motors as the European cars, which had 150hp. The intakes and turbos were different here, limiting power.

April 9, 2013, 11:17 p.m.

tiguan is already made in 2.0TDI/6spd manual or DSG. they just have to start importing it to NA.

Diesel saves approximately 30% in fuel usage. It costs less to produce.

Somehow I can't see the people owning the pumps rushing to bring us diesel any time soon.

The Touareg has a 3.0L V6 diesel engine. Who would buy such a teeny engine in a midsize SUV? After all, it only puts out a bit over 400 lb-ft of torque - at idle.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 10, 2013, 7:11 a.m.

the PD 1.9 TDI (older generation) had 90, 105, 130 and 150 HP. I believe the differences between the 130 and 150 HP are in the ECU. However, if i am not mistaken, the 90 and 105 HP version have a different turbo to the 130/150.

Smell wise, i find older petrol cars much more smelly than a (newer, post 2000) diesel. The difference is that on a diesel you can see the pollution (DPF and EGR delete anyone?)

The Touareg has a 3.0L V6 diesel engine. Who would buy such a teeny engine in a midsize SUV? After all, it only puts out a bit over 400 lb-ft of torque - at idle.

e-sarc much?

April 10, 2013, 8:46 a.m.

TDI's pay for themselves if you plan on having it for a long time or are putting a lot of miles on it. If you're the average low miles driver or plan on trading it in in 5 years you'd be better off to buy the regular 2.5L, they are cheaper, produce good power, get good mileage and are a lot less expensive to maintain.

/\/\/\/\/\ This.

I have always wanted a TDI, but when I sit down to calculate how long it will/would take to pay off the increase in cost, it never pans out. For me the premium at time of purchase will take about 10 yrs to even out with a gas motor, so why bother?

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

April 10, 2013, 6:02 p.m.

/\/\/\/\/\ This.

I have always wanted a TDI, but when I sit down to calculate how long it will/would take to pay off the increase in cost, it never pans out. For me the premium at time of purchase will take about 10 yrs to even out with a gas motor, so why bother?

That's kind of where I'm at. VW = good fuel economy, nice to drive but high price and not many techy features. Prius = good fuel economy, cheaper than a VW but still expensive, more features, ugly. Small american car, Sonic, = cheapish on gas, lots of features, cheaper, probably nice to drive but it's a Chevy. Everything else is either so so on gas or has a weak engine.

Make me a smallish 4 door car that's really good on gas ([HTML_REMOVED]6L/100km), gives me a lot of technology inside, is decent fun to drive, is reliable and less than $30K.

April 10, 2013, 6:19 p.m.

I'm totally happy with my non Skyactiv Mazda 3.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

April 10, 2013, 6:37 p.m.

honda fit. pretty fun to drive around town in the manual model. tons of space for the size. we averaged 6l/100 on ours with lots of non-efficient driving (loaded with bikes, 120-130 on the highway).

www.travelswithtyler.com

April 10, 2013, 8:30 p.m.

Buy an old Geo Metro with the 1.0 litre 3-cylinder engine. It makes every other car look like a gas guzzler.

April 10, 2013, 9:55 p.m.

honda fit. pretty fun to drive around town in the manual model. tons of space for the size. we averaged 6l/100 on ours with lots of non-efficient driving (loaded with bikes, 120-130 on the highway).

New Civic (2013) gets same mileage and it drives better. For a Honda it has a noticeably quieter ride too.

If you want great mileage in a decent small car, the new Jetta Hybrid has impressive specs. Better mileage than the diesel (on paper) and good performance to boot.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

April 10, 2013, 9:57 p.m.

Buy an old Geo Metro with the 1.0 litre 3-cylinder engine. It makes every other car look like a gas guzzler.

Friends don't let friends drive Geo metros - even the turbo version.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells