Hostage!

Jan. 21, 2019, 4:16 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

I'm struggling to find the article where the Chinese forced someone to live in a $5,000,000 house with unlimited funds and allowed them to travel within a 100km radius.

A little help?

Are you suggesting Canada gave her a house and wads of cash to play with?  

My guess is Kovrig did something much worse than challenge some bullshit financial sanctions.  The Chinese don't do stuff like this for no reason and you yourself are simply assuming he did nothing. I'm more inclined to assume he did something pretty bad to receive this kind of treatment.

Jan. 22, 2019, 1:51 a.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

I'm struggling to find the article where the Chinese forced someone to live in a $5,000,000 house with unlimited funds and allowed them to travel within a 100km radius.

A little help?

My guess is Kovrig did something much worse than challenge some bullshit financial sanctions.  The Chinese don't do stuff like this for no reason and you yourself are simply assuming he did nothing. I'm more inclined to assume he did something pretty bad to receive this kind of treatment.

I think he was stating since she owns two houses in Vancouver and has the freedom to live a relatively normal life within 100km of her house that you seriously just cant compare anything of the two comrade orange.. Her company averaged $25billion a quarter last year and was she not the CFO? China wouldnt care if she skimmed a little and you'd probably cheer her on.

But apparently extradition is upcoming. Expect some other news soon, probably related to a geographical body of water.

Jan. 22, 2019, 5:55 a.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

A little help?

My guess is Kovrig did something much worse than challenge some bullshit financial sanctions. The Chinese don't do stuff like this for no reason and you yourself are simply assuming he did nothing. I'm more inclined to assume he did something pretty bad to receive this kind of treatment.

I think he was stating since she owns two houses in Vancouver and has the freedom to live a relatively normal life within 100km of her house that you seriously just cant compare anything of the two comrade orange.. Her company averaged $25billion a quarter last year and was she not the CFO? China wouldnt care if she skimmed a little and you'd probably cheer her on.

But apparently extradition is upcoming. Expect some other news soon, probably related to a geographical body of water.

Well no you can't compare the two. One is accused of white collar crime, the other is accused of threatening national security.

If Meng had been suspected of terrorism do you think we would be this nice to her?

They totally would care if she was skimming off the top. China recently imprisoned one of their most beloved actresses because she didn't pay taxes. Being corrupt will fuck you over in China these days. Far too often people here conflate crimes in China with government policy.

Is your jealousy over her wealth clouding your logic?

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Jan. 22, 2019, 6:44 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 22, 2019, 11:18 a.m.

She's being accused of abetting a terrorist state.  I'd say that's on par with the "just as bogus" charge laid on the two Canadians.

And while her detainment is a life of luxury, the Canadians are in a Chinese jail and are denied  access to counsel.

Jan. 22, 2019, 1 p.m.

A little help?

My guess is Kovrig did something much worse than challenge some bullshit financial sanctions. The Chinese don't do stuff like this for no reason and you yourself are simply assuming he did nothing. I'm more inclined to assume he did something pretty bad to receive this kind of treatment.

Well no you can't compare the two. One is accused of white collar crime, the other is accused of threatening national security.

If Meng had been suspected of terrorism do you think we would be this nice to her?

They totally would care if she was skimming off the top. China recently imprisoned one of their most beloved actresses because she didn't pay taxes. Being corrupt will fuck you over in China these days. Far too often people here conflate crimes in China with government policy.

Why are you trying so hard to compare them as equals then? If she had been suspected of Terrorism, I'd expect Trudoh! to actually give her money and a house like you already exclaimed they did. He has a soft spot for terrorists on Canadian soil if I'm not mistaken.

Wuahei is not a private Chinese corp to my knowledge and she is family of some pretty powerful people. Considering the Chinese government is also the bank, I expect them to do as they please and line their own pockets (dont make me make a comparison to old Russian commie Generals lining their pockets). Wasnt that actress also pro-west and speaking out.. dont let me tell you, search for something different.

I'll say thanks for assuming I had logic ;) but pretty sure your love of China is clouding your judgement.

Jan. 22, 2019, 3:47 p.m.

Posted by: switch

She's being accused of abetting a terrorist state.  I'd say that's on par with the "just as bogus" charge laid on the two Canadians.

And while her detainment is a life of luxury, the Canadians are in a Chinese jail and are denied  access to counsel.

How do you know the charges against the Canadians are bogus? Or are you just assuming because it's China. Did Omar Khadr get access to legal counsel before being sent to a decade of torture? How about that guy who spent three years in Paris? 

And Iran is a terrorist state? That's rich considering we sell weapons to Saudi Arabia, a state which sponsors just as much terrorism if not more. 

Just goes to show it's not what a country does, it's which country it is that's doing it that makes it bad.

Jan. 22, 2019, 3:55 p.m.

A little help?

Why are you trying so hard to compare them as equals then? If she had been suspected of Terrorism, I'd expect Trudoh! to actually give her money and a house like you already exclaimed they did. He has a soft spot for terrorists on Canadian soil if I'm not mistaken.

Wuahei is not a private Chinese corp to my knowledge and she is family of some pretty powerful people. Considering the Chinese government is also the bank, I expect them to do as they please and line their own pockets (dont make me make a comparison to old Russian commie Generals lining their pockets). Wasnt that actress also pro-west and speaking out.. dont let me tell you, search for something different.

I'll say thanks for assuming I had logic ;) but pretty sure your love of China is clouding your judgement.

Wow I don't even know where to start on this one. Huawei is a private corporation, and if you think corruption is easy to get away with in China these days you haven't been paying attention to what's been going on over there since Xi Jinping became the chairman. You think it's still the same as the Hu Jintao days.

Jan. 22, 2019, 4:24 p.m.

Huawei has no links to Xi Jinpeng and his empire.  Especially its founder.

Everything the west says about China is wrong.  Everything China says about China is right.

I'm learning a lot these days.

Jan. 22, 2019, 5:16 p.m.

A little help?

Wow I don't even know where to start on this one. Huawei is a private corporation, and if you think corruption is easy to get away with in China these days you haven't been paying attention to what's been going on over there since Xi Jinping became the chairman. You think it's still the same as the Hu Jintao days.

Seriously?  Who are the owners of this private company?

Jan. 22, 2019, 5:22 p.m.

How do you know the charges against the Canadians are bogus? Or are you just assuming because it's China. Did Omar Khadr get access to legal counsel before being sent to a decade of torture? How about that guy who spent three years in Paris? 

And Iran is a terrorist state? That's rich considering we sell weapons to Saudi Arabia, a state which sponsors just as much terrorism if not more. 

Just goes to show it's not what a country does, it's which country it is that's doing it that makes it bad.

How do you know the charges against Meng aren't bogus?

Jan. 22, 2019, 5:49 p.m.

Are you honestly trying to compare the detention of Meng and Kovrig as being equal? The conditions they're being held under are MILES apart. We also at least know some specifics of the charges against Meng. Kovrig? Not so much.

Jan. 22, 2019, 7:19 p.m.

How do you know the charges against Meng aren't bogus?

The yanks are just having a tantrum because China didn't ditch the JPA.

Jan. 22, 2019, 8:02 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Are you honestly trying to compare the detention of Meng and Kovrig as being equal? The conditions they're being held under are MILES apart. We also at least know some specifics of the charges against Meng. Kovrig? Not so much.

No I'm not and yeah they are miles apart, Meng is out on bail and is living nicely because she's rich.

Kovrig has been accused of the Chinese equivalant of terrorism so they can do whatever they want to him similarly to how we seem to be allowed to do whatever we want to brown people suspected of the same thing.

I agree it would be nice to know some specifics about why Kovrig is detained. He was in North Korea a lot before his detainment and apparently has a personal relationship with Kim Jong Un himself.

With a background like that I'm not about to assume that his detainment is in retaliation to the Meng Wanzhou arrest. I wasn't making shit up when i said Canadians have been getting detained for various reasons at an average rate of 3 a week for the last 10 years. So statistically some Canadians were gonna get arrested in China in December with or without this spat we're in with them. Correlation does not always equal causality.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Jan. 22, 2019, 8:02 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 22, 2019, 9:02 p.m.

So if Kovrig was rich he'd be out of jail?

And as for the brown people comment, Canada took 25,000 Syrian refugeesv and integrated then into the general society. How many did China take?  Oh that's right, they don't take brown people or Muslims.  If they do take refugees, they have to be off Chinese descent, and then they get put together on some remote farm.

Jan. 23, 2019, 11:27 a.m.

Looks like they snatched another one.

Hey Australia, use our equipment or else.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/china-us-abusing-extradition-system-huawei-1.4989196