Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread

June 15, 2023, 4:56 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Posted by: XXX_er

Loaded the E-bikes into a riding bud's Rivian last week to ride in kamloops, on the highway that truck could get up and boogie and it was pretty smooth off road. Buddy is all in on EV's he is a pretty smart business man, he has ordered 4 more Rivians figuring it will be years by the time he actualy gets them all, he has also bought 10 wrecked Teslas and is going to refurbish them to become a dealer of used repaired teslas

Id say your buddy is a pretty brave gambling man as well. A lot of unknowns in those two ventures.

I met buddy on a Moab excursion I was invited on, I was the dumbest person on the trip,  movers n shakers eh and there was one guy on that trip who was worth hundreds of millions

Like i said this buddy is a pretty smart guy independent bidness man retires in mid 50's but he just likes to stay in the game so he is into EV's just for fun

and something else you would recognize so i ain't gona mention it

Last edited by: XXX_er on June 15, 2023, 5:30 p.m., edited 5 times in total.
June 15, 2023, 9:18 p.m.

Where do you take a Rivian for repairs?

June 15, 2023, 10:23 p.m.

Looks like the Richmond Automall is going to have Canada's first Rivian repair centre.

June 16, 2023, 8:10 a.m.

I was impressed with the fit and finish on the Rivian, it did not feel like a kit car and that thing could get up and rally, not that day but buddy said he had it up to 175kph flat out

Apparently EV's don't break down very much and everybody wants one, I don't know how else buddy would get into dealing teslas and EV's ?

so maybe it is a good idea time will tell if his business works out ?

these guys appear to go on the same bidness model as Macdonalds

Last edited by: XXX_er on June 16, 2023, 8:26 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 16, 2023, 8:56 a.m.

Rivian seems legit for off-road stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeth5v_5dPM

Of course most owners will only ever use it to do the groceries and make city roads unsafe for pedestrians and cyclists.

June 16, 2023, 9:04 a.m.

This week, for the first time, I realized how dangerous my F150 lightning is on city streets. Going 3km an hour up a residential street, waiting for a couple of move to the side, it took them a good 3 minutes to realize that a car was behind them. The thing is so quiet that pedestrians can only hear tire noise. It's dangerous.

June 16, 2023, 9:06 a.m.

I was impressed with the fit and finish on the Rivian, it did not feel like a kit car and that thing could get up and rally, not that day but buddy said he had it up to 175kph flat out

Apparently EV's don't break down very much and everybody wants one, I don't know how else buddy would get into dealing teslas and EV's ?

Rivian is currently burning through cash so fast, that they are predicted to be out by 2025 unless something changes. Im not sure what that will be, but early Rivian adopters are definitely taking a gamble right now. Id like to see them succeed, but only time will tell.  As for fixing up salvaged Teslas, there is some market for it. All the businesses doing these repairs are at the mercy of Tesla however, as Tesla will have to test and validate their repairs (and battery condition) before allowing Supercharger access.

June 16, 2023, 9:11 a.m.

Posted by: rnayel

This week, for the first time, I realized how dangerous my F150 lightning is on city streets. Going 3km an hour up a residential street, waiting for a couple of move to the side, it took them a good 3 minutes to realize that a car was behind them. The thing is so quiet that pedestrians can only hear tire noise. It's dangerous.

I thought all new EVs now make some sort of artificial humming sound? I think it's being made mandatory in Europe. I recently read an article about a company that engineers unique hum sounds for EV makers.

Trucks are already 2.5X as deadly as cars when hitting pedestrians or cyclists. Making them silent doesn't seem like a great way to improve safety.

June 16, 2023, 9:32 a.m.

Rivian is currently burning through cash so fast, that they are predicted to be out by 2025 unless something changes. Im not sure what that will be, but early Rivian adopters are definitely taking a gamble right now. Id like to see them succeed, but only time will tell.  As for fixing up salvaged Teslas, there is some market for it. All the businesses doing these repairs are at the mercy of Tesla however, as Tesla will have to test and validate their repairs (and battery condition) before allowing Supercharger access.

Hey I'm just sitting on the fence watching, its  interesting as hell to listen to these guys talk and if it all falls apart they still got the RE

June 16, 2023, 9:53 a.m.

in a tesla you could have farted in their direction

June 16, 2023, 11:53 a.m.

I'm loving the EV life (except for the couple of times I've been coal-rolled by modern neanderthal types.)

June 16, 2023, 1:20 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

in a tesla you could have farted in their direction

In a Tesla, they would have heard the rattling from the body panels shaking.

June 16, 2023, 7:28 p.m.

My buddy bought a Model X, he is less than impressed by the space age double sided tape holding it all together.

June 16, 2023, 8:59 p.m.

He should tweet about it!

June 19, 2023, 7:26 p.m.

Rivian is currently burning through cash so fast, that they are predicted to be out by 2025 unless something changes. Im not sure what that will be, but early Rivian adopters are definitely taking a gamble right now. 

There are sure a lot of them around.  Since first spotting one in February, I see one almost every day now.  They have a software development office downtown, maybe some of them belong to employees.