Canucks Trade Schneider

July 1, 2013, 7:48 p.m.

You guys are nuts.

I heard we also got a suitcase full of hockey-tape coupons. Gillis is a mastermind.

Come on bro, you're smarter than that…

Its july 1st. Not two fucks should be given about hockey till sept 1st.

Mmkay?

Free-Agent season kicks into high gear July 5th. I think buyout season started today, and the draft was only a few days ago. NHL 4 LIFE (insert semi-retarded hockey fan circle-jerk smilie here)

Isn't Hedberg a former Nucks backup as well?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 1, 2013, 7:54 p.m.

New Jersey must have been feeling pretty good. After the Schneider deal, they went out of their way to make a trade with LA to get a 7th round pick so they could get Brodeur's son (also a goalie), and they let Broduer announce the pick, which is pretty classy.

July 1, 2013, 8:29 p.m.

One thing that makes this move more questionable than normal is that the buyout would have been allowed with zero cap hit as part of the allowances for the lowering cap. I guess this way we end up with a slightly worse goalie but a significant boost in the prospect pool.

The buyout might eliminate the cap hit but the team would still be on the hook for 2/3 of Lou's remaining $40M contract. Even paid out over 18 yrs that is no small chunk of change for ownership to fork over for nothing.

Some of these long term deals really made me wonder what the teams were thinking (Lou, DiPietro, Yashin - remember that guy?) And now the teams are literally paying out the nose for those moves. At Lou is still a decent goalie. That is, if he even reports to camp next fall.

July 1, 2013, 9:44 p.m.

The buyout might eliminate the cap hit but the team would still be on the hook for 2/3 of Lou's remaining $40M contract. Even paid out over 18 yrs that is no small chunk of change for ownership to fork over for nothing.

Some of these long term deals really made me wonder what the teams were thinking (Lou, DiPietro, Yashin - remember that guy?) And now the teams are literally paying out the nose for those moves. At Lou is still a decent goalie. That is, if he even reports to camp next fall.

Yup, the general managers [HTML_REMOVED] owners have no one to blame but themselves. That DiPietro contract was pure stupidity.

Thread killer

July 1, 2013, 10:01 p.m.

Come on bro, you're smarter than that…

I'm gonna need some citations on that claim.

July 1, 2013, 10:13 p.m.

I think Bobby Lou will play great

July 1, 2013, 10:37 p.m.

I'm gonna need some citations on that claim.

You guys are nuts.

I heard we also got a suitcase full of hockey-tape coupons. Gillis is a mastermind.

I might have read into that a little too much, but I assume it was re: the Schneider for the 9th overall pick deal.

But, yeah weird they'd trade their starter for a first rounder on draft day when their great white goaltending hope, was striped of his captainism (for lack ((wow, no pun intended here) of a better word) one year, chased out of the net in the playoffs by a team that practically steamrolled everyone en route to their first cup, then told to take a seat the following season, only to now find out that "Hey that über contract we signed you to makes it impossible to trade you for what we think we should get for you, so you know, how's about being our numero uno again next season stallion?"

Anyway, Crawford looks pretty darn good right about meow:rocker::mullet:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 1, 2013, 10:41 p.m.

I might have read into that a little too much

:mullet:

I was calling you out on your outrageous claim that I am smarter than "that". I think you're out to lunch on that one.

July 1, 2013, 10:53 p.m.

Suddenly everyone's an expert. How many current and former NHL coaches or pro Hockey Players post to this forum? Anyway, there is only one way this will play out - on the ice in the 2013-2014 NHL Season. The Canucks need a shaking up, and this is the start of the shakeup. Looks like all bets are on the table.

July 2, 2013, 1:54 a.m.

Suddenly everyone's an expert. How many current and former NHL coaches or pro Hockey Players post to this forum? Anyway, there is only one way this will play out - on the ice in the 2013-2014 NHL Season. The Canucks need a shaking up, and this is the start of the shakeup. Looks like all bets are on the table.

This man clearly knows nothing of the true meaning of sport.

iforonewelcome.com

July 2, 2013, 5:22 a.m.

This man clearly knows nothing of the true meaning of sport.

The heart of the shake up needs to be the passionless sisters who can't seem to muster more drive for a playoff game than they do for the loss of the twinkie in the US. They are just awful come the post season, and that's a waste of money for your superstars. What good is getting to the playoffs if your key players can't step up?

July 2, 2013, 5:26 a.m.

The heart of the shake up needs to be the passionless sisters who can't seem to muster more drive for a playoff game than they do for the loss of the twinkie in the US. They are just awful come the post season, and that's a waste of money for your superstars. What good is getting to the playoffs if your key players can't step up?

I agree. Trade them or at least take the captaincy away [HTML_REMOVED] give it to a North American player. Funny how they both played well for Sweden at the worlds after they lost in the 1st round.

Thread killer

July 2, 2013, 7:31 a.m.

So says an Oiler's fan … at least the Canucks actually play in the post-season. And enough with 5 Stanley Cup wins. The Canadiens have 24. And like the Canadiens wins, a lot of the people on this forum weren't even alive the last time they won one.

July 2, 2013, 9:38 a.m.

So says an Oiler's fan … at least the Canucks actually play in the post-season. And enough with 5 Stanley Cup wins. The Canadiens have 24. And like the Canadiens wins, a lot of the people on this forum weren't even alive the last time they won one.

Arguing for your favourite franchise by pointing out ANOTHER one that's far superior isn't the best way to win an argument.

iforonewelcome.com

July 2, 2013, 12:42 p.m.

They were great in 2011, they were short one twin in 2012, and the whole team stunk in 2013. I don't think either one has the passion to be captain (rather see Kesler with the C), but the twins are a huge asset regular and post season. Even when teams do "shut them down", it takes a lot of their resources to do so.

As for the trade I can't believe it took this long to come to the realization that trading Schneider was the only viable option. Lu was not going to get traded without the organization eating a huge chunk of cash, and a buy out would really make it awkward for Gillis and the Aquilinis to be in the same room… "Hey Mikey, guess what day it is? 2 million dollar annual paycheck for nothing day!." Unlike DiPietro, Luongo doesn't suck so any sane person would keep him. Trading Schneids was obvious and Luongo is just going to have to buy another condo and tell his woman to settle the fuck down.